Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a 2009 C2 have a microphone? Mr 12 Volt issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2024 | 10:52 PM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Default Does a 2009 C2 have a microphone? Mr 12 Volt issue.

Hi all,

Just had my 3.0 Mr. 12 Volt installed in my 2009 c2. All works great except I cannot get the car mic to work. My pcm has the phone buttons and Bose and the Universal Audio Interface so I assume it has a microphone in the car?

Am I missing a setting or is the unit installed incorrectly? I reached out to @Roman ACS and he told me to contact the manufacturer via WhatsApp. I'm still waiting to hear back.

Any help in the meantime is appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh
Old 10-03-2024 | 11:02 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

I have the exact same issue. I cant tell if it's because my car didnt have the actual cell phone option enabled. Let me know what you find. I have been using AirPods in the meantime.
Old 10-03-2024 | 11:12 PM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tuxkilla
I have the exact same issue. I cant tell if it's because my car didnt have the actual cell phone option enabled. Let me know what you find. I have been using AirPods in the meantime.
Will do. From some reading, it sounds like the 997.2 needed to be ordered with bluetooth as an option to get the microphone, see here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nection-2.html

My build sheet doesn't have it. What I don't understand though, is why Mr. 12 Volt and @Roman ACS would sell a kit but not mention that phone calls will not work unless your car was ordered with Bluetooth!! I hope I'm wrong and it's just a setting, but this is leaning towards having to buy this kit from Suncoast for $500 to get the OEM mic: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...2s_electronics

This is turning into an expensive upgrade if so and I have to pay the shop to disassemble everything again!

Old 10-04-2024 | 09:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you have the multi audio interface, all you need is as Tunai Firefly. The car already has BT for phone calls. Pairing the firefly then gives you Audio streaming for music, directions, etc. It reconnects to your phone automatically, lets you customize the sound settings.and works great. It plugs into the USB to charge and then the 1/8" Audi jack goes into the aux input right next to it. Think it's like $30. Have one in my Cayenne and had one in my BMW x5 and in my wakeboat before I replaced the stereo this year..
Old 10-04-2024 | 10:48 AM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

@Petza914 I already have the Mr. 12Volt interface installed so I have CarPlay and can stream music, etc. I just need to know if my car has the built-in microphones. I thought all 997.2's did but maybe not.
Old 10-04-2024 | 11:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3_PDLS
@Petza914 I already have the Mr. 12Volt interface installed so I have CarPlay and can stream music, etc. I just need to know if my car has the built-in microphones. I thought all 997.2's did but maybe not.
All PCM3.1s have BT phone call capability (but not BT audio streaming) with a built in microphone. Wonder if the Mr12volt install has somehow circumvented that connection.
Old 10-04-2024 | 12:16 PM
VAG Lover
Advanced

I'll jump in here with the caveat that I haven't yet purchased a Mr. 12Volt for my car. From what I've read in other posts and forums, there should be an external Mic jack on the Mr 12Volt box to handle this. It's the one thing that has me hesitating on getting one. Supposedly you can tap into the mic wires (there should be 2 mics on the console between the gauges and the steering wheel). If you don't want to tap into those, then you need a mic that plugs into the module and you can mount it to the sun visor or something in the car. I'll be following to see if you find a solution. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2024 | 11:44 PM
myltz400
Instructor

If your car was optioned with the Aux/Ipod interface in the console it will likely have the factory microphone in the steering column. Just a couple of screws to check, look for it to be clipped into the top half of the plastic shell around the steering column. If it does not have that option you can purchase a factory like mic for the Mr12volt bellow. The phone buttons on the radio mean nothing and will likely not work with Mr12volt if used with the aforementioned solution which plugs directly into the aftermarket unit 3.5mm jack. I will check to see next time I drive..

https://shop.enfigcarstereo.com/product/enfig-mic-por1/

Last edited by myltz400; 10-06-2024 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 11:45 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Edit dual post

Last edited by myltz400; 10-06-2024 at 11:47 PM.
Old Yesterday | 11:03 PM
Jmat72
1st Gear

I have a 2009 C4S with the all of the audio options, Bluetooth , Bose, etc. I couldn’t get my Mr 12 volt working with the factory mic. I had an old one laying around and put it on and that ended up working. I mounted it on the steering column by the stock ones. Lots of road noise, but calls and Siri both work now.
Old Yesterday | 11:49 PM
mbatarga
Racer

I don't believe my '11 has a microphone. I splurged and spent the $10 or $20 and added it when I installed my Mr 12V. I routed the cable so the mic sits just on top of the steering column clamshell in front of the gauges. Works fine.
Old Today | 12:52 AM
VAG Lover
Advanced

Originally Posted by mbatarga
I don't believe my '11 has a microphone. I splurged and spent the $10 or $20 and added it when I installed my Mr 12V. I routed the cable so the mic sits just on top of the steering column clamshell in front of the gauges. Works fine.
What version do you have? The latest one on their site claims integration with factory mic.

Old Today | 03:11 PM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Here's an update. After too much back and forth with @Roman ACS and Mr.12Volt via WhatsApp and searching on these forums, I've determined that I likely need to order this bluetooth kit from Suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...BLUETOOTH.html

It will include the (2) speakers that go in the steering column and wire into the car and then I need to go to the dealer to get bluetooth activated.

Mr.12Volt said that you need Bluetooth on your build sheet for their unit to work for calls and Siri. As an alternative you can use an aftermarket microphone and hook it into their unit, but they do not include that in their latest kit. All of this would have been nice to know ahead of time as I likely would have went a different route. Either way I'm out more money and time than planned.

@Roman ACS and Mr.12Volt need to note on the product pages that the unit will not work as anticipated if you do not have factory bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Does a 2009 C2 have a microphone? Mr 12 Volt issue.