Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my 997.2 for 24 hours and then...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 11:03 PM
mithridates
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had my 997.2 for 24 hours and then...

Got rear ended sitting 4 cars deep at a red light by a guy who started breaking about 5 car lengths from the back of my car. I have been looking for this car for at least 18 months and didn't even have it a full day. 2010 Cab S with only 32K miles.

Ok, with that sadness said, looking for advice on how to handle insurance. I plan to take it to the Porsche certified shop in town. Should I push for a total loss on this?

I have air bag light on dash, but no airbags deployed. It does look like a safety headrest popped out of the rear head rests though. Seatbelt tensioner is locked and refused to let go. No fluid leaking that I can see but you can see a pretty deep dent in the rear bumper. There is a scratch on the top of the exhaust but does not seem to have moved.

Thoughts? Condolences?
Old 06-16-2024, 11:11 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

If you have an emotional atttachment to the car and plan to keep it as a forever car, then I would want to know the entent of the injury and then decide. I love my car that I bought new in 2006, and if that happened to me I would probably try and repair it.

On the flip side, you did buy a 14 year old car and only had it for a day, and as such, I would push for a write off and get your money back and search for a new one. It will always bother you that it was in an accident, and you will never recoup your purchase price.
The following 3 users liked this post by Deven:
ABNJOE (06-17-2024), Hella-Buggin' (06-17-2024), rmani (06-20-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 11:23 PM
Seacraft911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So sorry! Hope you get it sorted to your liking.
The following users liked this post:
ABNJOE (06-17-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 11:56 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

I concur with Deven.

You won't have any idea until you get insurance estimates of damage. Anything up to that point is speculation. That looks like pretty heavy damage though. I'm sure the rear crash bar is toast, light, bumper, decklid, probably passenger rear quarter panel too?

My wife got rear ended at like 5-10mph in her car earlier this year. Way less visible damage than yours and the total was $7-10k.
lexhair (06-19-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 05:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by mithridates
Got rear ended sitting 4 cars deep at a red light by a guy who started breaking about 5 car lengths from the back of my car. I have been looking for this car for at least 18 months and didn't even have it a full day. 2010 Cab S with only 32K miles.

Ok, with that sadness said, looking for advice on how to handle insurance. I plan to take it to the Porsche certified shop in town. Should I push for a total loss on this?

I have air bag light on dash, but no airbags deployed. It does look like a safety headrest popped out of the rear head rests though. Seatbelt tensioner is locked and refused to let go. No fluid leaking that I can see but you can see a pretty deep dent in the rear bumper. There is a scratch on the top of the exhaust but does not seem to have moved.

Thoughts? Condolences?
First of all I feel really bad for you. Bummer would be an understatement to begin the ownership of your dream car. Back to business though. That looks pretty bad. I say that with reference to this legendary story of another rear end. Look at the pictures of this one: So you think it's just a bumper job, huh? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Barely visible compared to your damage and this ended up with an engine removal and a frame replacement. Needless to say, make sure whoever takes the rear bumper off takes a good look at what's been damaged. The car in the story was a younger car than yours so more room for repair cost. Had it been an earlier 997 I bet it would have been declared a write off. Removing an engine, replacing the frame with all that's involved and putting the engine back in place won't come at a discount.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:47 AM
MauritsK
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh man, I feel for you! What an utter disappointment. Best of luck with the aftermath!
Old 06-17-2024, 06:50 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I am so sorry. I can't imagine how horrible this feels. 24 Hours? you didn't even get to know all it's glorious "Quirks & Features".
I'd try and get the full value and move on. You'll need to fight to get a decent amount as they will low ball you with auction comp figures.
I wish you the best and hope you come back into the fold with an even better car. The 997 is just a magical thing. I love the platform so much I have 2.
I just couldn't sell the C2S when I got the GT3 but I have had it for 80k miles of smiles with the kids and had or for 13 years.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:07 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 972 Posts

I’m sorry this crap happened to you but no injuries is a good day
but push for a total loss and buy the car back if it still runs and drives
this car looks repairable but internal damage can make it impossible
lexhair (06-19-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 07:51 AM
mithridates
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deven
If you have an emotional atttachment to the car and plan to keep it as a forever car, then I would want to know the entent of the injury and then decide. I love my car that I bought new in 2006, and if that happened to me I would probably try and repair it.

On the flip side, you did buy a 14 year old car and only had it for a day, and as such, I would push for a write off and get your money back and search for a new one. It will always bother you that it was in an accident, and you will never recoup your purchase price.
This pretty well sums up where my head is. It was well in it's way to emotional attachment, but I really don't want to drive a car long term that has had this type of damage. Every little thing that I have to deal with in the future will lead to the question of if it was because of the accident or not.
Old 06-17-2024, 08:55 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 495 Posts

First off, glad you are ok. Big time bummer. That looks like a total loss once the body shop removes the rear bumper cover. Absolute shame to see one of these cars cracked up.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Man, that's some terrible luck 😭

However, I don't think that's anywhere near totalled. You can simply reset the rollover bar I believe as it's sping loaded then lock in the up position. There may be a pyro release that needs to be replaced. The seatbelts have pyro pretensioners in them and why the belts are locked. They'll need to be replaced. Then you'll need a new bumper, $1,000 taillight, and some under-bumper stuff.

What we can't see is the structure around the engine bay. If that's damage it may be totalled. If it's not, I think you're looking at a $10k repair on a $55k car which isn't anywhere close to the roughly 70% repair to value ratio used to total one out. Even if it's a $20k repair, it's still not close.

Idoes the engine lid open and how does the rear look from inside there?
Old 06-17-2024, 11:52 AM
arcadia234
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you guys just hear that? It was my heart breaking for mithridates.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:40 PM
mithridates
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Man, that's some terrible luck 😭

However, I don't think that's anywhere near totalled. You can simply reset the rollover bar I believe as it's sping loaded then lock in the up position. There may be a pyro release that needs to be replaced. The seatbelts have pyro pretensioners in them and why the belts are locked. They'll need to be replaced. Then you'll need a new bumper, $1,000 taillight, and some under-bumper stuff.

What we can't see is the structure around the engine bay. If that's damage it may be totalled. If it's not, I think you're looking at a $10k repair on a $55k car which isn't anywhere close to the roughly 70% repair to value ratio used to total one out. Even if it's a $20k repair, it's still not close.

Idoes the engine lid open and how does the rear look from inside there?
Man those pyro pretensioners do some work. I could barely breath the seatbelt was so tight after the accident! That said, between the seatbelt and the headrest I was locked in and I think had no injury because of how well it worked. Kudos to Porsche for great engineering.

Also, glad to see a 55k estimate for the car. That's exactly what I paid for it. Only mods on it are a Passport 9500 ci. Actually wondering if that was damaged with any receivers in the rear.

I'm going to pull the air box tonight and get some pics of the engine bay. Will share once I get them. The lid opens, it just doesn't line up correctly right now.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:41 PM
mithridates
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arcadia234
Did you guys just hear that? It was my heart breaking for mithridates.
Same. The emotional damage was by far the worst part!
Old 06-17-2024, 12:44 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

Glad you're OK, but I'm so very sorry to see this horrible situation. Lots of good advice here already so hoping you can quickly and painlessly figure out the best path to a solution which will allow you many years of anxiety-free 997 ownership. Please don't give up on the dream because some knucklehead ruined the early days.
mithridates (06-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Had my 997.2 for 24 hours and then...