Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my 997.2 for 24 hours and then...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 01:29 PM
mithridates
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will remove air box later, but noticed this when I went to take a quick look. The kink in the intake was definitely not there prior to accident. Definitely some movement in the engine bay...

Can also see the black bar behind bumper is bent. Not sure what that connects to...

Old 06-17-2024, 01:31 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

If they total it, shouldn’t be hard to keep them from low balling you since it was such a recent purchase.

If they don’t total then go after the at fault driver for diminished value.
The following 3 users liked this post by workhurts:
mithridates (06-17-2024), S85beast (06-21-2024), THE Z MAN (06-19-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 01:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Sorry to hear the news. Glad nobody was hurt---->Might be considered "Totalled" by insurance.

Old 06-17-2024, 02:35 PM
mithridates
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by workhurts
If they total it, shouldn’t be hard to keep them from low balling you since it was such a recent purchase.

Agreed, figure there is no better data to bring in actual cash value than a purchase order for the vehicle that was signed 24 hours before the accident!
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (06-17-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:41 AM
Fender Deluxe
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I’m sorry to see that. I just got my dream car 997.2 a couple weeks ago and I can’t imagine if that had happened on the maiden voyage. I hope you get made whole asap!
mithridates (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:47 AM
mkp81
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought an '83 911SC back at the start of Covid shutdown. Trailered it home from Dallas to Alabama, unloaded it that night in my garage. Pulled it out the next day around lunch to go take some photos of it... got rear ended while stopped at a 4-way stop probably 3 miles from my house.

Yours is much worse, but I feel you. Hopefully you get it fixed up quickly!
mithridates (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:17 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts

This is very important ! If the car is not totalled, and will be repaired . the diminished value will be significant. I would think at least $5k, and maybe up to 10K. Laws vary by state, and there is no uniform method of determining what the exact dollar amount should be. The other party's insurance company will probably start off by lowballing the amount, and you may need to do some research and hold out for a fair settlement. There are lots of articles on this , as it has become a big deal, especially with nice sports cars.
Think of it like this - you are shopping for a great used 911, and you see 2 identical spec cars with about the same mileage - one has a clean Carfax, and one has " accident reported ", with rear end collision and major damage. Which car would you want, and I bet you would pay a lot less for the repaired car.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:05 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stripersteve
This is very important ! If the car is not totalled, and will be repaired . the diminished value will be significant. I would think at least $5k, and maybe up to 10K. Laws vary by state, and there is no uniform method of determining what the exact dollar amount should be. The other party's insurance company will probably start off by lowballing the amount, and you may need to do some research and hold out for a fair settlement. There are lots of articles on this , as it has become a big deal, especially with nice sports cars.
Think of it like this - you are shopping for a great used 911, and you see 2 identical spec cars with about the same mileage - one has a clean Carfax, and one has " accident reported ", with rear end collision and major damage. Which car would you want, and I bet you would pay a lot less for the repaired car.
True. An obliviot rolled into my old Cayman in a grocery store parking lot. Maybe 2mph. The damage was extremely minimal but did require paint. I went after their insurance for diminished value and managed to get about 6K without too much negotiation. I had a few things going for me on the condition and circumstances, but that was about 20% of the car's value at the time - which was my estimate of the actual diminished value with a dirty CarFax. Something I'll think about for any vehicle in the future. Fixing the damage when it's not totaled doesn't make you whole. Good luck and stay safe out there.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:10 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Condolences my friend,I'm so sorry this has befallen you. All the good advice has been posted .I have nothing cogent to add but if it were mine, I would take the $ and move on to another 911.
Nashvegas (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 12:38 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 353 Posts

Jeez!! What’s with all this new owners and bad luck? The other guys new to him 911 burned down after leaving the dealer’s lot! In this case consider yourself somewhat lucky…. Truly could’ve been worse. Still, this is painful. Hope it works out.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:51 AM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Jeez!! What’s with all this new owners and bad luck? The other guys new to him 911 burned down after leaving the dealer’s lot! In this case consider yourself somewhat lucky…. Truly could’ve been worse. Still, this is painful. Hope it works out.
I think I may hold the record for worst luck ( based om ownership time ) .
My first sports car was a new Datsun 240z in 1973. I was living in Connecticut and bought the car in RI, where my parents lived, and where I grew up. On the day I picked the car up at the dealer, I was so excited ! After the paperwork was signed , I got in the car and was ready to drive off the lot. Being very cautious, I was waiting for the traffic to clear before pulling out of the lot. Just before I pulled out, BAM !, an old truck driven by some old geezer, backs out of his parking spot in the dealer's visitor area, and slams into my rear quarter panel, doing considerable damage. I had owned the car for maybe 30 seconds ! Now that is bad luck !
TerrestrialFlyte (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:08 PM
THE Z MAN
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry that happened to you.

If they total it I wouldn't just settle for what you paid for it. You may have gotten a good deal or bargained hard. Or maybe the seller was pressed to sell it quick. Check a matching car that you can actually buy in your area(not in Canada or the next state over).

If it's a repair then what was said above... diminished value. Its the difference of what the car was worth before minus what its worth now.

Lastly...about the value...bumper cover prices are 2-5k, light is 1k, whole is is probably 1-2k. New belts can get pricy. Is the rear wheel bent/miss aligned?
heat shield, muffler, bar.
My wife got rear ended in my camry and it ended up being like $8k by a certified Toyota collision center.

I personally wouldn't want the stigma of being hit at the motor side. It's been shook.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:18 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 310 Posts

Read this from someone who had almost exactly the same level of damage in a rear end on a 997.2:

This won't total your car, but be prepared for a fight.

I expect the damage to be $15-25k. Mine was in the middle of that and a coupe, without the added convertible safety features that will have to be replaced. The engine will likely have to come out, expect some buckling of the frame rails - aka frame damage.

I then went after the insurer of the car who hit me and got about $8k in diminished value - this took almost a year and had to have lawyers writing mean letters and appraisers involved. Your number likely is higher since my car had about 3x the mileage.

Old 06-20-2024, 12:28 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

im so sorry this happened to you. but glad everyone is ok!
Old 06-20-2024, 02:33 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts

Terrible....I bet you almost threw up when that happened......much good advise here....if it was me, I would push for total and search for another....I believe we are experiencing a soft market for 997.2's and it will escalate in 12 to 18 months....

Quick Reply: Had my 997.2 for 24 hours and then...