997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 High Pressure Fuel Pump, ebay??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024 | 10:08 AM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Default 997.2 High Pressure Fuel Pump, ebay??

So I haven't checked it with my Foxwell yet and I don't have any codes showing. However I think my HPFP is starting to go out (80k miles). What was almost instant starts, it takes like 6-10 seconds to crank after it sits overnight. Once I drive it around, it starts faster. But doesn't start as fast as it used to.

Looking on here, I've read many threads about the HPFP. But has anyone used one of the "ebay pumps"? Curious to know if they are any good.
Old 05-20-2024 | 10:26 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Don't own a 997, but that the one part that I would never buy off of eBay unless it's an OEM from a crashed car.
Old 05-20-2024 | 10:46 AM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Yeah that's what my gut is telling me also! But sometimes my gut is wrong... so figured I'd ask.
Old 05-20-2024 | 11:08 AM
yelcab
Drifting

There are some things I only buy from a dealer. Engine sensors, MAF, clutch, water pump, thermostat, and ... if Direct Injection then HPFP. For god's sake, do it once, do it right. Stay off the ebay crap.
Old 05-20-2024 | 11:12 AM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Originally Posted by yelcab
There are some things I only buy from a dealer. Engine sensors, MAF, clutch, water pump, thermostat, and ... if Direct Injection then HPFP. For god's sake, do it once, do it right. Stay off the ebay crap.
ha ha ha ha. Yeah I normally don't do ebay. But when I googled the part number, it came up. Since this is a known item that seem to fail (at random mileage) and needs to be replaced (again randomly), I just started thinking... which is dangerous
Old 05-20-2024 | 11:44 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelmoo22
So I haven't checked it with my Foxwell yet and I don't have any codes showing. However I think my HPFP is starting to go out (80k miles). What was almost instant starts, it takes like 6-10 seconds to crank after it sits overnight. Once I drive it around, it starts faster. But doesn't start as fast as it used to.
Let us know what you find with the Foxwell. It has been my experience that when the HPFP was going, I was also getting rough idle and rough running while driving. Number of other suspects like the tank fuel pump.

Miles, year and model of your car?
Old 05-20-2024 | 11:49 AM
michaelmoo22
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAVU
Let us know what you find with the Foxwell. It has been my experience that when the HPFP was going, I was also getting rough idle and rough running while driving. Number of other suspects like the tank fuel pump.

Miles, year and model of your car?
I'll let you know. Some times I have a weird surge at idle, but not all the time. That's the only other symptom I have right now.

My car is an 2009 base Cab, manual, with 80k miles.
Old 05-21-2024 | 06:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That almost sounds like the regular fuel pump, a check valve that's supposed to keep fuel pressure in the system allowing fuel to return to the tank, or leaking injectors allowing fuel to leak into the cylinders when they shouldn't. A good test might be a UOA to see what your fuel dilution looks like to determine if it's going into the cylinders or back to the tank.
Old 05-21-2024 | 09:42 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Don't own a 997, but that the one part that I would never buy off of eBay unless it's an OEM from a crashed car.
Sorry for the OT------>TRINITONY You PM'd me mentioning I told you I would sell you my car when I decided to sell. I apologize for not remembering, but I PM'd you my cell# prior to accepting any offers. I gave you time to respond and you are still dead silent? Just wanted to make sure you received my PM's?
Not sure whats up but I could only wait so long and now have a deal on table from another fellow member and a 2nd member in line.

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-21-2024 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2024 | 02:22 PM
arcadia234
Advanced

My HPFP gave up the ghost earlier this year (2010 4S). I can only speak to my experience here. I didn't see any issues with startup (as mentioned, I believe that the low pressure pump handles that) but when I ran the revs up to ~4K the fuel cut out and I could not get any power. At lower throttle, the car drove normally. I had a local shop that is respected in the community here do the work which was roughly 2400 smackers. Since then I have bought QuickJacks and would be able to do it myself should it happen again. Heck, the cost of labor for that pump would have almost paid for the lift. In my case, there were very few pumps in CONUS and those shops were hesitant to let them go so I ordered one from Germany. They must have flown it in first class as the part was 1200.00.

911. They're fun but they aint cheap!
Old 05-22-2024 | 11:59 AM
yelcab
Drifting

Originally Posted by arcadia234

911. They're fun but they aint cheap!
Best to keep that attitude. Here is an equivalent quote "nobody ever promised you owning a Porsche is gonna be cheap!"

Quick Reply: 997.2 High Pressure Fuel Pump, ebay??