Sponsored by:

Seat swap: memory comfort to non-memory sports

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:45 PM
newold_m
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Seat swap: memory comfort to non-memory sports

Been searching for awhile and can’t seem to find a definitive answer on this... I currently have standard comfort seats with heat/lumbar and memory and looking to swap those for a sports seats (not adaptive) with heated, but no memory. Other than losing the memory function will there be any issues? All I need is for the seat tilt and heating functions work.
Under my drivers seat I have the standard connector and an extra memory module and was planning to leave the memory module unplugged.
Many thanks in advance for any insights/experience...
Old 11-18-2017, 08:07 PM
newold_m
Rennlist Member

Did a quick test: unplugging the memory module causes the seat to lose all power which is not encouraging but hopefully the circuit that causes in that behavior is on the seat side and not on the car side. Anyway, looking forward to hearing from others.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by newold_m
Did a quick test: unplugging the memory module causes the seat to lose all power which is not encouraging but hopefully the circuit that causes in that behavior is on the seat side and not on the car side. Anyway, looking forward to hearing from others.
In the big yellow connector box under the seat, power enters on the 2 larger spade terminals on the left side - one is 12v power (larger red wire) and the other is Ground (larger brown wire). Worst case, make a little pigtail adapter from the connector on your wiring harness to the male spade connectors in the new seat ad you should have power seat functionality. I can't tell you if that will throw a code. This is how I wired the manual Adaptive seats I put into my 928 and in my office to have the power recline work.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:38 PM
newold_m
Rennlist Member

Thank you..! I looked under mine and saw the red/brown thick wires going into the black memory module. Looks what’s needed is to connect those wires to the new seat along with the other connections like airbag, seatbelt sensor etc and I should _hopefully_ have a fully functional seat.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Newold_M, Just checking to see if you did this on your car. I've got the comfort with memory, heat in my '12 GTS. Wondering if any version of sport seat will plug into my car. How'd yours work out?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

Search for my thread on the swap. If I recall correctly, it was a pretty detailed write up.

You have to tap into a 12V line under the seat.

I'll see if I can find it.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

It was on P9, read through the thread towards the end. Photobucket screwed up all the photos but it might still help. I think there's a hack to bring up the pics on chrome or something. Not sure why I didn't post this here.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/101881-sports-seats-instead-memory-power-seats.html

Old 03-20-2018, 01:51 AM
newold_m
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adams
Newold_M, Just checking to see if you did this on your car. I've got the comfort with memory, heat in my '12 GTS. Wondering if any version of sport seat will plug into my car. How'd yours work out?
Hi Adams,

Thanks for the reminder as I've been meaning to update this thread. Yes, the swap as a success! What I had to do was to take apart both memory and primary seat connectors and move the positive (red) wire from the memory connector to the primary connector. There is already a ground wire (brown) on the main seat harness so no need to move anything else from the memory harness. Before you do any take apart be sure to disconnect the battery otherwise you'll end up making a trip to the parts store to get a new fuse

How to take apart the connectors:
Name:  IC43Wec.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  76.5 KB

red power line on left that needs to be moved:
Name:  6ZVXbg5.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  bwUui9R.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  358.8 KB

and moved... No codes and everything works as expected and passenger side mirrow still dips when put in reverse. Let me know if you have any questions..
Name:  lKyHZRT.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  94.0 KB

Quick Reply: Seat swap: memory comfort to non-memory sports