Sponsored by:

Fair PDK Repair Price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 12:28 PM
C4SDream
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fair PDK Repair Price?

As stated in other post's, I just bought this .2 and one of the items that came up on the PPI was a "small" PDK pan leak and advised replacement in the somewhat future. The pan was changed with the fluid about 2 years ago and neither the time or the mileage has caused a need for a replacement. Since I was not able to attend the PPI and Rennwerke Porsche of NY did not supply photos I had to take their word. After speaking with there main tech/owner for awhile I come to the terms that the pan was fine and it was something that should be addressed in the next 6+ months but nothing too urgent.

We drove the car back from NY and the more and more I read about PDK issues, I decided to make this a priority over the other maintenance items and I had originally planned on doing the pan/fluid change myself but really wanted another opinion on the car since a few items were "missed" from the PPI. Took it to a local independent and they have a much different story. This morning I took the car in for a free inspection and after about 30 minutes of waiting they bring me out to the garage to have a look. Now when I was told this was a small leak I didn't expect to see trans fluid spread across the back half of the car and active drips. The second I walked out to the garage I could easily see this is more than just a pan issue. Tech brings me under the car and starts to explain that this is somewhat common in this this style of transmission and there is an o ring on the connector sleeve that is leaking. Originally he thought he could pull the pan and get to the connector, pull it out and replace the o ring (s) but after another 20 mins or so he came back and said that he unfortunately misspoke and the pan and the solenoids would need to come out to gain access to remove the connector sleeve and replace the o rings.

When I had originally heard it was an exterior part I was thinking these would be a "cheap" fix. The total for this and this includes 7 liters of oil, pan assembly, pan bolts, o ring(s) + labor is 2600 after tax. Does this seem right? This is my first p car and I normally wrench on big ticket items myself but in all honesty the PDK stuff is a bit intimidating and I really don't want to mess with it.

He seemed very confident in the fix and I know lots of people wont do repairs on the PDK, thoughts?

I've attached the service info,

Old 03-01-2024, 12:43 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

If you wrench, I would absolutely do this myself.

Its just a pan and looks easily accessible, especially if you have a place near you that rents lifts.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...DK_Service.htm
The following users liked this post:
C4SDream (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 01:46 PM
C4SDream
Intermediate

If it was just the pan then I would think about it but its pulling down the solenoids as well and then removing the connector sleeve.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:46 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDream
If it was just the pan then I would think about it but its pulling down the solenoids as well and then removing the connector sleeve.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html

^ This might help.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATX_Native:
C4SDream (03-01-2024), Tj40 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 07:15 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 709 Likes on 443 Posts

If you don't wrench and don't have a scanner that works with a PDK, spend the $2k. You got off cheap.
The following 2 users liked this post by yelcab:
RABjr (03-02-2024), sandwedge (03-02-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 08:10 PM
C4SDream
Intermediate

thanks the the helpful insight, simply asking if this repair seems to be on par with PDK repair costs like this.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:58 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
If you don't wrench and don't have a scanner that works with a PDK, spend the $2k. You got off cheap.
I was thinking the same thing. As a Non-Wrench, the price tag didn't seem unreasonable to get his PDK repaired.

sandwedge (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 04:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I was thinking the same thing. As a Non-Wrench, the price tag didn't seem unreasonable to get his PDK repaired.

Exactly. Wasn't long ago where there was no such thing as a "PDK repair". Full replacement was the only option with some exceptions. Been there twice as most of the regulars here know so the price the OP was quoted seems like a hard to find bargain IMO.
groovzilla (03-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Fair PDK Repair Price?