Sponsored by:

Drive Cycle to Reset OBDII VVT Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 02:49 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drive Cycle to Reset OBDII VVT Not Ready

I made the rookie mistake of replacing my battery just before a mandated "Star" CA smog check and of course the station said that none of the systems were ready. My car is a one-owner 2009 9211S with no mods.

I looked up the Porsche 911 Drive Cycle OBDII Emission Monitor Reset Procedure, made sure my tank was 1/4 to 3/4 full, AC off and did my best over three mornings to follow the directions. I live in a small Bay Area city but there are several stop signs/ lights between my garage and the nearest expressway or so-called freeways. A few times I had to stop during the cycles, but posters said that the cycle drive would still work.

I have returned to the smog station yesterday and all of the systems were ready except the EGR. The tech said that "that was often the last to go off."

Does anyone out there know which part of the drive cycle resets the EGR? I know that I can go to the dealer and force the reset but they do not need any more of my money.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by Tsilnner; 02-26-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-13-2021, 04:12 PM
Emc2design
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 651 Likes on 254 Posts

Don't recall where I found this but it has worked for me on both the 997 and 957:Start engine, let idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Then:

Idle in Neutral for 5 mins. (manual trans.) or Idle in Drive for 5 mins. (Tiptronic / PDK trans.)

During the drive cycle, do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph.

By Porsche enthusiasts
For Porsche enthusiasts

Old 02-13-2021, 04:19 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 776 Posts

Variable valve timing ...

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...-valve-timing/

Any OBD II reset shuts off sensing systems. These systems only reset by driving. If you take it to the dealer you will be starting from scratch again.

As you drive and sensing is error free various sensors get turned back on. This can take time. In the case of my 2002 F150 it required a couple hundred miles.

CA would allow that vehicle to pass as long as all but up to two sensors had been enabled. I'm not an expert but I suspect the number of allowed sensors that have not been enabled is probably dependent upon the vehicle since the sensors will be different.

I'd suggest additional driving. Go for a spirited early morning therapy session.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:30 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emc2design
Don't recall where I found this but it has worked for me on both the 997 and 957:Start engine, let idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Then:

Idle in Neutral for 5 mins. (manual trans.) or Idle in Drive for 5 mins. (Tiptronic / PDK trans.)

During the drive cycle, do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph.
Thanks. It is an outline of what I followed. Engine was cold started, AC off, 1/4 to 3/4 gas-keeping under 3000 revs and 60 mph.

I just found another post by a member who had the same problem with getting the VVT to reset and he said what might have worked (you never know) was to use the part of the BNW drive cycle where you slowly accelerate to 50 mph ten coast down to 20 (some BMW posts say zero) without breaking. I'll find a country road after the weekend and give that one a try.

I guess that it is also time to invest in a reader.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:40 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

I am bumping this thread to update my problem getting one OBDII system to be ready for a CA "Star" smog test. 997.2, 2009, I am the original owner, no mods. A new battery caused the problem.

After several drive emissions monitor cycles just the EGR light is still "not ready." I called up my service rep at the dealer and he said to set the EGR drive the car at a steady speed just under 60 mph
and 3,000 rpm for twenty miles, without breaking. I have done that four times-which is no small feat in the Bay Area. I did, as recommended by the dealer, use cruse control for two runs.

Anyway, I can not get that #*^#! system to reset. I also tried a process I found online of coasting down from 60 to a dead stop. No luck. Of course the dealer has offered to reset the systems for 1.5 hours of labor, which I will do if necessary. There is a great reservoir of Porsche knowledge out there and any advice would really be appreciated.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

One (I hope) last update. After two 20 mile freeway drives, the EGR system on my 997.2 is still not ready for the smog test. I called the service rep back and he indicated that there was no electronic way to
ready the car and they drove the car while hooked up to a reader in order to set the system for a CA smog check. Labor charge 1.5 hours.

He also added that when setting the EGR they would drive at about 68 mph, not the 60 max that has been posted many times. They do, however follow the no breaking, steady speed and under 3000 rpm and do this for about 20 miles to get the EGR ready.

I just bought an OBD II reader and will get on Highway 101 tomorrow. 101 is a lot more level than the highway I was using, 280 south of SF, which has a lot of hills, so that might help in keeping the throttle steady.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:50 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Default Issue Solved!

This morning I duct-taped my new OBDII reader to the Botton right of my windscreen and drove to CA Highway 101 south of San Jose. Nice and flat and smooth flowing traffic.

After 22 minutes on cruse control at 68 mph and under 3000 rpm, no breaking, the EGR changed to green. I had the AC off.

I now know that you do not need to keep 60 to get the the EGR to ready for a smog test and you can use cruse control.
This is nice to know, as driving under 60 on a freeway here, even in the right lane, is not the best of ideas.

I had done exactly this on Highway 280 below San Francisco, with no result, but it is very hilly and the perhaps the cruse control had to make too many throttle adjustments.

Last edited by Tsilnner; 03-05-2021 at 06:53 PM. Reason: format
Old 12-01-2022, 07:14 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I have to thank you Tsilnner for taking the time to post your findings - I did precisely what you did (rookie mistake) - first time maintaining a hobby car with an OBD port, frankly - wiped the readiness codes erroneously while resetting some Porsche-specific ones right before smog-time.

EGR only metric not ready after 140 miles of driving, post smog-fail.

I actually dipped below 60 a few times driving my 6-speed manual, using cruise control when possible, with a > 15 minute period of no braking and no gear changing - and I think that appears to be the key in my case, an uninterrupted period of not hitting the brake while maintaining speed of 59-68 mph, never exceeding 3K RPM. I am amazed I completed this on the 22/405 freeways at 11am, but it worked nonetheless. I basically lugged it in 6th while staying in that range and jackpot.

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 12-01-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:50 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

For Bay Area folks, this route from Almaden Exp, McKean/Uvas Rd to Gilroy and back is my go-to for readiness. 15+ miles of 45 mph with no stops and some speed variations from the winding road. It’s worked every time. Plus it’s a nice scenic drive, and you can pick up some reasonably-priced local wine at Kirigan.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:58 PM
tweej
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also been facing this issue with my 2012 987.2 Cayman S.
A drive down and back on 101 from Mountain View to Morgan Hill at 65 mph on cruise control didn't work.
Neither did Mountain View to Kirigin, but when I got back to Mountain View from Kirigin I did get EGT/VVT ready! That was 158 miles total.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:59 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I had this happen in this year too. I found it impossible no do the routine as I live in the middle of the city. The smog guy just told me to drive it around like a normal car for 100 miles and it'd be fine. And it worked.

Quick Reply: Drive Cycle to Reset OBDII VVT Not Ready