Sponsored by:

weird window issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 02:50 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts
Default weird window issue

2009 c4s. If car locked and parked then unlock car, open driver's door, get in, close door, window is in the up position such that it is not low enough to go inside the window rubber and instead sits outside/against/on top of it. I have to reopen door or use window switch to then set it properly. Otherwise functions totally fine. This doesn't happen in any other circumstance. Tech scanned the 3 components in the door he says are involved in the operation and they are all normal. Anyone know what the diagnosis is?

Old 11-28-2023, 02:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
2009 c4s. If car locked and parked then unlock car, open driver's door, get in, close door, window is in the up position such that it is not low enough to go inside the window rubber and instead sits outside/against/on top of it. I have to reopen door or use window switch to then set it properly. Otherwise functions totally fine. This doesn't happen in any other circumstance. Tech scanned the 3 components in the door he says are involved in the operation and they are all normal. Anyone know what the diagnosis is?
2009 C2S 193K miles

New to me.
Try resetting the window. Put it all the way down, then all the way up, release the switch, then press the switch up again and hold... you should hear a click. Maybe... If this doesn't work, then disconnect the battery for about 15 mnts, then hook back up and do the window reset.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 11-28-2023, 03:24 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Does the window drop slightly when you pull on the outside door handle and the door is closed? It sounds like either the microswitch is bad in the handle (so not detecting the pull and dropping the window on opening), or the windows dropping then going back up before the door is closed (which should be able to be observed if it is).
Old 11-28-2023, 06:54 PM
Xtereo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem, at least how I understand your description. They replaced part of the latch mechanism. I’ll see if I still have the service bill to give you some additional info. It was not an expensive fix.

to describe my problem, the proper operation is the window lowers slightly when opening and closing to achieve the proper seal. This was not happening correctly on the drivers door so the glass didn’t properly sit inside the door seal. All the window synch procedures didn’t help. I noticed the window made the slight lowering when I pulled the inside door handle, so I could achieve the seal by holding it pulled while closing and release after door is in final position. However in this way the door doesn’t latch until you release the handle to its very annoying and awkward.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:43 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sburke91
Does the window drop slightly when you pull on the outside door handle and the door is closed? It sounds like either the microswitch is bad in the handle (so not detecting the pull and dropping the window on opening), or the windows dropping then going back up before the door is closed (which should be able to be observed if it is).
Thanks. yes, it drops most of the time but for some
reason after the car has been parked a while
it just doesn’t drop.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:43 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xtereo
I had this problem, at least how I understand your description. They replaced part of the latch mechanism. I’ll see if I still have the service bill to give you some additional info. It was not an expensive fix.

to describe my problem, the proper operation is the window lowers slightly when opening and closing to achieve the proper seal. This was not happening correctly on the drivers door so the glass didn’t properly sit inside the door seal. All the window synch procedures didn’t help. I noticed the window made the slight lowering when I pulled the inside door handle, so I could achieve the seal by holding it pulled while closing and release after door is in final position. However in this way the door doesn’t latch until you release the handle to its very annoying and awkward.
thanks. Yah service bill would be helpful!
Old 11-29-2023, 08:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,555 Likes on 4,169 Posts

If the window does not stay lowered while the door is open the microswich in the latch assembly (the part that catches the striker) has failed / is failing.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:49 PM
Xtereo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
thanks. Yah service bill would be helpful!
Bill simply says “door lock”… €171.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:42 PM
Dragon997
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Door Latch is part # 3D1 837 015 C. My 997.1 driver’s door started doing the same. FCP Euro has them for $76.99 with free shipping. Had to replace a broken door latch cable a few years ago so getting to the latch is pretty straightforward DIY. Make sure to order 9 retaining clips (part #955 555 243 00 at $.79 each) since many will break when removing the door panel.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:22 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for
the help.

Quick Reply: weird window issue