Sponsored by:

My first Porsche, 997.1 C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM
benznotmercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Progress thread: My first Porsche, 997.1 C2

Hey everyone, been lurking for the most part for several months. I realized 997s were at the bottom of their depreciation curve and now would be the time to pick one up. Found this thing in Louisville KY and blasted up and back in a day to test drive the car. Had actually been primarily in the market for a 996 C4s. I'm 26 and remember the 996 being new when I was a kid so the headlights of the 996 don't bother me, haha. In any case I found this car for wayyyy cheaper than the other ones I was looking at. Dealer took kind of crappy photos so I think that's why it hadn't sold. Here's the stats on it

- 2006 C2 manual
- PASM, sport chrono
- 99k miles when I bought it a month ago, about to cross over 102 now
- Cobalt Blue
- Sea Blue standard leather
- Manual

Obviously this is just about the most base 997 you could order but it feels amazing to me. I actually had a B8.5 Audi S5 before as my daily and it was a fun, capable, fast car but had no soul. Right now all I've done is polish the headlights, replace a passenger window regulator, fix a messed up coolant pipe hose clamp, replace a door speaker etc. I got the car for what I think was a pretty good price because it needed some attention and what it needed was predominantly things I could do myself!

Mods I've done so far.
- Clear side markers
- Fabspeed muffler bypass
- Coilovers (installing this weekend)

Excited to be here! I will probably keep this updated as a build thread of sorts. Here are some pics in no particular order. Sorry car is dirty. I had fun at the tail of the dragon!

Last edited by benznotmercedes; 10-25-2020 at 07:37 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by benznotmercedes:
CC221 (08-13-2020), DesmoSD (08-13-2020), Emc2design (08-18-2020), JAAM (11-02-2020), lonewolf9 (05-13-2023), ManoTexas (08-13-2020), misterdega (11-15-2021), RacerWannabe (08-13-2020), tegraphile (08-13-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats on your 1st 911!
The following users liked this post:
benznotmercedes (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 12:32 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Very nice congratulations and enjoy, very nice color and wheels too. I am still enjoying my '05 C2 base since new (probably more base than yours) after 15 years to the day actually and only 40k miles (i am daily driving it now and have come to appreciate/love it more) and really don't have a terrible itch to go to newer models, even after test driving several. Certain mods I've done that enhance, to me anyway, and all relatively inexpensive:
  • Zunnsport grilles for front radiatiors
  • Gundo Hack
  • OEM short shift kit with weighted round shift **** (like Function First but another company, less expensive)
  • Dallas custom steering wheel for added thickness, thumb indents and perforated leather and red stripe at 12:00
  • MaCarbon climate control buttons
  • Michelin Pilot S4 on knock off customized 18" Fuchs ( aka I pastidipped parts of the wheels) with deep dish/lip (old school 911 look) and rides very smooth and tight, no rattles etc
  • Helmholtz resonator mod
  • lowered on Eibach pros & 7MM spacers on rear
  • Ceramic brake pads - 80% less dust than originals
  • colored center caps - (I think these would really look nice on your wheels/car)
Q: How do find the sport chrono difference when its on on a manual 3.6? I am thinking of adding it but hear differing opinions..

Q: How did you know/what are the signs that your window regulator was bad - my window is sometimes finicky up/down when i hit the switch, I'm thinking its the switch or contacts or is it the regulator ?
Thanks

Old 08-13-2020, 12:47 PM
benznotmercedes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
Very nice congratulations and enjoy, very nice color and wheels too. I am still enjoying my '05 C2 base since new (probably more base than yours) after 15 years to the day actually and only 40k miles (i am daily driving it now and have come to appreciate/love it more) and really don't have a terrible itch to go to newer models, even after test driving several. Certain mods I've done that enhance, to me anyway, and all relatively inexpensive:
  • Zunnsport grilles for front radiatiors
  • Gundo Hack
  • OEM short shift kit with weighted round shift **** (like Function First but another company, less expensive)
  • Dallas custom steering wheel for added thickness, thumb indents and perforated leather and red stripe at 12:00
  • MaCarbon climate control buttons
  • Michelin Pilot S4 on knock off customized 18" Fuchs ( aka I pastidipped parts of the wheels) with deep dish/lip (old school 911 look) and rides very smooth and tight, no rattles etc
  • Helmholtz resonator mod
  • lowered on Eibach pros & 7MM spacers on rear
  • Ceramic brake pads - 80% less dust than originals
  • colored center caps - (I think these would really look nice on your wheels/car)
Q: How do find the sport chrono difference when its on on a manual 3.6? I am thinking of adding it but hear differing opinions..

Q: How did you know/what are the signs that your window regulator was bad - my window is sometimes finicky up/down when i hit the switch, I'm thinking its the switch or contacts or is it the regulator ?
Thanks
Thanks for the mod list! That actually reminded me, I did the Helmholtz intake mod also but forgot to list it. The steering wheel sounds like a nice touch. To answer your questions:

1) The sport button really firms up the throttle response but other than that it's not a huge deal. I would say it probably isn't worth adding IMO. Does make the car feel more "jumpy" and responsive when you're driving it hard but it's not something I would break my neck to add.
2) I knew it was the regulator because I could hear the motor working but it would get physically stuck 3/4 of the way up. Slack in the cables caused the gears to strip. The first sign was that the windows didn't go down automatically -- too much cable slack when door was opened. I would say yours is most likely the switch. DIY isn't terrible for motor/regulator, time consuming but not actually difficult.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:44 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats! I too bought my first Porsche (base 997.1) about a year ago...super fun - no regrets...you got a beauty!
Old 08-13-2020, 01:59 PM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

very nice & congrats...enjoy that baby
Old 08-13-2020, 02:16 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Cobalt on Sea Blue! Very nice combo and when I was shopping for a 997, Cobalt or Aqua were my primary choices but it was rare to find with that blue with either black, stone gray or sea interior. Congratulations!!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Congrats on a great looking car. Camera work is also noteworthy. Everyone will have a zillion ideas for you, but that is a good thing. I would put at the top of the list ,as noted above, the OEM short shift kit and the Function First aluminum shift ****. Get the good one. Bigger difference than you can imagine. Enjoy driving and working on your car!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:18 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Love the Cobalt Blue. Congrats & enjoy!
Old 08-14-2020, 01:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 735 Posts

Very cool looking car. Love those wheels with the cobalt blue. Not a big fan of the triangular steering wheel airbag but no big deal and a matter of taste. Here's an overpriced sport wheel with the round airbag on Ebay for your reference: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997...wAAOSwbxFfLqQu
Old 08-17-2020, 03:52 PM
benznotmercedes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Very cool looking car. Love those wheels with the cobalt blue. Not a big fan of the triangular steering wheel airbag but no big deal and a matter of taste. Here's an overpriced sport wheel with the round airbag on Ebay for your reference: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997...wAAOSwbxFfLqQu
I definitely agree, not a big fan of it either. What sucks is it will be almost impossible to find a sea blue sport wheel, but may end up doing the 991 wheel upgrade eventually. It has some sort of very well done aftermarket leather wrap on it that feels pretty nice at least.

Oh, I installed my Godspeed coilovers over the weekend. Yeah yeah, I know. Apparently some of the 964 guys like them and I have a buddy that works for them so I figured why not give them a shot for cheap. These shots are before settling and alignment; I'll report back to see how they feel but as of now they ride pretty well. I'm no stranger to lowered cars. FYI for anyone considering DIY coilover installation it isn't hard at all. Took me maybe 5 hours total for front and rear and I am by no means a mechanic.

You don't have to use spring compressors at all, just loosen the control arm to frame bolt slightly in the front to allow the assembly to droop.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by benznotmercedes
I definitely agree, not a big fan of it either. What sucks is it will be almost impossible to find a sea blue sport wheel, but may end up doing the 991 wheel upgrade eventually. It has some sort of very well done aftermarket leather wrap on it that feels pretty nice at least.

Oh, I installed my Godspeed coilovers over the weekend. Yeah yeah, I know. Apparently some of the 964 guys like them and I have a buddy that works for them so I figured why not give them a shot for cheap. These shots are before settling and alignment; I'll report back to see how they feel but as of now they ride pretty well. I'm no stranger to lowered cars. FYI for anyone considering DIY coilover installation it isn't hard at all. Took me maybe 5 hours total for front and rear and I am by no means a mechanic.

You don't have to use spring compressors at all, just loosen the control arm to frame bolt slightly in the front to allow the assembly to droop.

Car looks great with the coilovers. Impressed you did it yourself, especially saying you're not a mechanic. I've heard it's not that easy of a DIY job. Could just be the angle of the picture but looks like wheel spacers would bring the stance to perfection. Wheels look a little tucked in which always happens when you lower these cars.

For the steering wheel, check with http://dallassteeringwheel.com/contact.htm They seem to be able to do just about anything with Porsche steering wheels.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:54 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts

I also have a Cobalt/sea blue 997! Congrats on yours!!!
benznotmercedes (10-12-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 PM
IrishLegend
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

I’m coming up on a month of ownership!
2005 997 S

The following 2 users liked this post by IrishLegend:
benznotmercedes (08-19-2020), Emc2design (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
ParkslopeDope
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishLegend
I’m coming up on a month of ownership!
2005 997 S

Beautiful ride, I wanted RED as well, but a good S rarely comes up in the right shade and condition. I ended up going with Black, I'm slightly envious. Enjoy!
IrishLegend (08-19-2020)

Quick Reply: My first Porsche, 997.1 C2