Sponsored by:

New 2005 C2S owner!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 12:23 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 2005 C2S owner!

I recently purchased my dream car, a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6 speed manual! Been obsessed with the 911s since I was a kid and finally made it happen. I've always been a car guy, but the Porsche world is very new to me (I had a bunch of Subarus in the past so the flat engine seems to be my thing lol). The weather has become cold now so that car will be stored for the winter and I will work on the items flagged below while she waits for the spring. I plan to do as much work myself on the car as possible. I'm going to try and assess and replace any worn parts over the winter. I have 2 kids who are also super excited so I'll definitely have them in the back seats on boosters!

Any suggestions on what other items I should plan on replacing that are common wear parts? Any upgrades that are recommended? And what websites are you guys buying new and used parts from? I've seen Pelican, Rennline, and Suncoast for new and mostly ebay for used stuff.

Here are the details:
- 123,000 km/76,400 miles on the odo
- previously a US car, now in Canada; I believe I'm the 4th owner
- PPI and bore scope done prior to purchase; both came back clean with no comments
- IMS done last year along with new clutch
- other items replaced in the last few years: spark plugs, drive belt, clutch slave cylinder, shift cable, new battery
- 2 previous claims on the car (for around $2k each, looks to be repainted bumpers and repainted roof from hail storm); aesthetically, car looks quite clean minus the usual rock chips and wear for a 19 year old car!

Issues/items I will need to address (comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!):
- tires are not looking great, will need to replace in the spring
- shocks and dampers are a bit spongy but I think they will be OK for my driving usage for now; will do research for now
- previous owner stated the battery cable will need to be replaced as the car won't immediately restart if it stalls
- wiper cowl is warped and will need to be replaced
- interior needs a good clean/conditioning
- center vent is broken (1 slat is missing and the vents don't move); I am looking for a replacement center vent
- original radio seems to not be working properly (date is stuck and doesn't seem to display the correct info on the tach screen); I am planning on replacing the deck with with either the Dynavin or the Android deck on Aliexpress (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-review-2.html)
- install Rennline phone mount
- install back up camera
- install dashcam
- center caps are UV faded so will replace those at some point

The following 2 users liked this post by ripcurl:
DesmoSD (11-16-2023), dmpslc (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 01:08 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase and fulfilling your dream.
It seems like you've got a pretty good list of "to do" items already.
Something to check would be to see if the motor mounts have been replaced.
A telltale sign that they need replacing is if the exhaust tips are sagging, but from
your photos, they seem OK.

Another good parts source is FCP Euro.

Good luck!
Bill

Last edited by BillB128; 11-09-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Congrats! Great job doing your Pre-purchase PPI & Bore Scope.
How was the DME Report? Any Over Revs in Range 5 or 6?

Old 11-09-2023, 02:42 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Originally Posted by BillB128
Congratulations on your purchase and fulfilling your dream.
It seems like you've got a pretty good list of "to do" items already.
Something to check would be to see if the motor mounts have been replaced.
A telltale sign that they need replacing is if the exhaust tips are sagging, but from
your photos, they seem OK.

Another good parts source is FCP Euro.

Good luck!
Bill
Thanks! I'll look into adding motor mount assessment to my winter list Thanks for the heads up on FCP Euro!

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Congrats! Great job doing your Pre-purchase PPI & Bore Scope.
How was the DME Report? Any Over Revs in Range 5 or 6?

Unfortunately I didn't do the DME report - I didn't know this was something to do as a pre-purchase check I'll look into this.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:10 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately I didn't do the DME report - I didn't know this was something to do as a pre-purchase check I'll look into this.
DME also gives Cam Deviation #'s to determine wear.
Enjoy the car!!

Old 11-09-2023, 05:12 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi Ripcurl

Welcome to the board. Have you compared your engine serial number against the production list? Certain production runs of 2005/2006 engines had a smaller IMS bearing that was prone to failure. If yours still has the early bearing in it then its something I would replace. They can result in engine failure.

I also have an 2005 C2S. My car had the smaller bearing and I updated it with the IMS Solution from LN Engineering.

-s
Old 11-09-2023, 05:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

2004 & early 2005 production 997's(Generally up to March/April 2005) have the smaller more problematic IMS Bearing.
Here is the IMS engine# guide:

Engine#'s for IMS Bearing size:
The smaller more problemtic IMS Bearing found in the 3.8L engines are in engines with Serial#'s up to M97/01 68509790 ---> Engine#'s from M97/01 68509791 forward have the larger revised more robust IMS Bearing.
For 3.6L engine, if the engine# is M96/05 69507476 and higher, it has the larger more robust IMS bearing.

Engine# stamped on engine case and located on rear underside of engine (droivers side)visible by kneeling down behind drivers rear tire/fender and looking for the stamping on a small flat portion of the lower bottom engine case.
Engine# is stamped in series of "Dots" which can sometimes be hard to read. Clean off area due to road debris/dirt.

Last edited by groovzilla; 11-09-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:49 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

There is something called the IMS Solution.

If I had a small bearing car I would absolutely get that kit when doing the clutch.

Per OP the IMS bearing was down recently so he should have some time.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:06 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 490 Posts

Congrats and welcome!
Old 11-09-2023, 10:16 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Originally Posted by spessx
Hi Ripcurl

Welcome to the board. Have you compared your engine serial number against the production list? Certain production runs of 2005/2006 engines had a smaller IMS bearing that was prone to failure. If yours still has the early bearing in it then its something I would replace. They can result in engine failure.

I also have an 2005 C2S. My car had the smaller bearing and I updated it with the IMS Solution from LN Engineering.

-s
Originally Posted by groovzilla
2004 & early 2005 production 997's(Generally up to March/April 2005) have the smaller more problematic IMS Bearing.
Here is the IMS engine# guide:

Engine#'s for IMS Bearing size:
The smaller more problemtic IMS Bearing found in the 3.8L engines are in engines with Serial#'s up to M97/01 68509790 ---> Engine#'s from M97/01 68509791 forward have the larger revised more robust IMS Bearing.
For 3.6L engine, if the engine# is M96/05 69507476 and higher, it has the larger more robust IMS bearing.

Engine# stamped on engine case and located on rear underside of engine (droivers side)visible by kneeling down behind drivers rear tire/fender and looking for the stamping on a small flat portion of the lower bottom engine case.
Engine# is stamped in series of "Dots" which can sometimes be hard to read. Clean off area due to road debris/dirt.

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
There is something called the IMS Solution.

If I had a small bearing car I would absolutely get that kit when doing the clutch.

Per OP the IMS bearing was down recently so he should have some time.
Previous owner had the IMS bearing replaced during the clutch replacement in 2021 with the LN Engineering kit, so fingers crossed I don't run into any issues! The car has only been driven approx 3000km/1860miles since that work.

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Congrats and welcome!
Thanks, looking forward to driving and maintaining this car! I'm so glad there is an abundance of resources here!
The following 2 users liked this post by ripcurl:
Graufuchs (11-10-2023), groovzilla (11-16-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 11:37 PM
jamesbrah66
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey man, I just bought my first 2005 C2 last month as well and just wanted to say congratulations. I am looking to pursue a lot of the similar projects as you this winter. Front L spring was broken on inspection so I'm just going to replace springs and struts on both sides, going to update the headunit as well (also considering the owtosin) and back up camera, and I'm hoping to replace my engine mounts because my 997 is suffering from one drooping exhaust tip.

I don't have much advice for you as we are kind of in the same boat but just wanted to say congrats and feel free to reach out anytime!
The following users liked this post:
BillB128 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 04:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 735 Posts

This being your first Porsche I can't blame you for not knowing a DME readout is a big part of a good and thorough PPI. Some may go as far as to say it's the biggest item since it tells the story of how the car has been driven. From gently to abused. It's all there. What I can't understand is how someone apparently convinced you he or she could deliver a professional, competent PPI report while skipping the DME. Strange. First thing many buyers look at after seeing the PPI result.
Sporty (11-10-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:04 AM
Scb1712
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the group! Nice looking C2S and seems like a good winter project list. I bought mine this past summer and did a few things already (brakes, PASM controller and new coil overs and some other stuff). Really enjoying working on it myself too. As for parts, I found that most Canadian parts places were competitively priced to Pelican, FCP euro and other by the time you factor in the exchange rate and duties. Often, Canadian places can even be less. You can try Germanparts.ca, EXO parts and PartsAvatar are all pretty good.

Finally - not sure if your water pump has been done but several on here suggest replacing that before they go on their own as well.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:16 AM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts

I would second the advice re water pump, and check the drive belt again. Also second the motor mount changeout - hard for me to believe they are still tiptop after that many years. My car is very similar to yours. Same year and model and colors and 70K miles. Have you checked your brake pads yet?
Old 11-11-2023, 06:14 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Originally Posted by jamesbrah66
Hey man, I just bought my first 2005 C2 last month as well and just wanted to say congratulations. I am looking to pursue a lot of the similar projects as you this winter. Front L spring was broken on inspection so I'm just going to replace springs and struts on both sides, going to update the headunit as well (also considering the owtosin) and back up camera, and I'm hoping to replace my engine mounts because my 997 is suffering from one drooping exhaust tip.

I don't have much advice for you as we are kind of in the same boat but just wanted to say congrats and feel free to reach out anytime!
Are you going to do the springs and dampers yourself? I'm going to attempt to tackle that at some point too. Which head unit are you planning on going with, this one (7862 8GB RAM + 128GB ROM)? I'm contemplating adding engine mount replacement to my list as well now after reading a bit more about it.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This being your first Porsche I can't blame you for not knowing a DME readout is a big part of a good and thorough PPI. Some may go as far as to say it's the biggest item since it tells the story of how the car has been driven. From gently to abused. It's all there. What I can't understand is how someone apparently convinced you he or she could deliver a professional, competent PPI report while skipping the DME. Strange. First thing many buyers look at after seeing the PPI result.
Yea, it was a very reputable shop so I don't know why they didn't mention it...

Originally Posted by Scb1712
Welcome to the group! Nice looking C2S and seems like a good winter project list. I bought mine this past summer and did a few things already (brakes, PASM controller and new coil overs and some other stuff). Really enjoying working on it myself too. As for parts, I found that most Canadian parts places were competitively priced to Pelican, FCP euro and other by the time you factor in the exchange rate and duties. Often, Canadian places can even be less. You can try Germanparts.ca, EXO parts and PartsAvatar are all pretty good.

Finally - not sure if your water pump has been done but several on here suggest replacing that before they go on their own as well.
​Was there a specific reason the PASM controller needed replacement? Did you have the sport suspension? Which coil overs did you install and how difficult was the install? Thanks for the heads up the parts websites, I'll add that to my list! I'll look into the water pump, thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by steveP911
I would second the advice re water pump, and check the drive belt again. Also second the motor mount changeout - hard for me to believe they are still tiptop after that many years. My car is very similar to yours. Same year and model and colors and 70K miles. Have you checked your brake pads yet?
Looks like we have twin cars - mine is also a black launch edition! That said, brakes are PCCB and look to be in decent shape. I'll definitely look into the water pump. I went thru the service records from the previous owner and looks like the drive belts were done recently as well. I'll probably do the motor mounts this winter as well, thanks for the heads up.
steveP911 (11-11-2023)

Quick Reply: New 2005 C2S owner!