Sponsored by:

Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 04:18 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hi @smrpr with your version, the only thing that will happen is that the headlights (and taillights) will turn on when it's dark.
I would wire the Morimotos as I described it here (start at post #48) https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...wH9SGGNG6jA7WO
Using the supplied box from Morimoto is total overkill.
And - funny enough - I noticed that Morimoto must have read this post as they basically incorporated these instructions into their own :-)
And if you want to use the same connectors as Morimoto uses, here they are: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...31xp9m5KP&th=1
Thanks for the links! Will definitely get those connectors.

My question was meant for the new version - with the DRL option on, will it turn both the Morimoto headlights DRL lights AND the DRL from the fog lights when it's not dark?
Old 04-05-2024, 06:03 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by smrpr
Thanks for the links! Will definitely get those connectors.

My question was meant for the new version - with the DRL option on, will it turn both the Morimoto headlights DRL lights AND the DRL from the fog lights when it's not dark?
Yes it will turn on the Morimoto haedlights.
But it depends how you wire the Morimoto DRL lights and the easiest way is really to just hardwire them to ignition that's how i have them in my car.
The following users liked this post:
smrpr (04-05-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 09:20 AM
Stefan147
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Good to hear that it finally arrived. I was wondering how long it would take to Greece. In the tracking app it still shows as "wait for delivery"
Thanks for the feedback with the side-panel.
About comment with the reaction time:
Well, you don't want it to react too fast, otherwise the lights come on every time when you drive under a tree. Currently (it i remember it right) it waits for 1.5 seconds of consistent darkness, then it turns on.

Cheers
It took about a month from shipping to holding it in my hands but half of it was due to our useless post office here in Greece. Probably they never bothered with updating the status in the app too.

You're maybe right about the reaction time but as I said I only tried it within the garage. I'm sure it's gonna be fine.

Now...how about some high beam assist for our auto-lights equipped 20-year old cars? (just kidding, I know that the light sensor is not enough for something like that)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

@Stefan147 about the "auto hi-beam". Yeah I thought about it for a millisecond, but then I decided against it.
The reasons are
a) I would need to build after-market light sensors, which would go on the windshield and they wouldn't look good.
b) I have this feature in my Range Rover and it only gets it right about 95% of the time and that that's OEM not aftermarket and they can't get it right
Old 05-03-2024, 01:26 PM
keithwbloom
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Version 2 with DRL installed

I received my 997.1 version 2 with DRL feature and after color-matching the light sensor mounting clip to my Sand Beige interior trim, I installed in under 30 minutes with no troubles. Wasn't satisfied with the halogen fogs as DRLs under my Xenon heads, so I replaced the H11s with 6000K LEDs that are significantly brighter. Perfection. Kudos to 997Research!

Used some color-matched latex I had mixed for trim touch-ups to do the same with the black plastic light sensor clip.

DRL feature with H11 halogen on left, H11 6000K LED on right

DRLs with H11 6000K LEDs both sides. Brighter than haolgens. Lenses need polishing... ;-)

Need to source the VAG switch with the Auto label at 12 o'clock with front and rear fog controls.
Hatzenbach (05-04-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 03:23 PM
h00etn
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I bought the sensor and it is working perfectly! I have a question though...

In Sweden a light is mandatory even in daylight, and I would like to have the position/fog lights as well as rear light enabled when I drive. Your solution makes the headlight automatically turn on when the switch is in the HOME position, and in daylight all lights are off.

There is a hack with a diode put into the original connector - perhaps you know about it - that makes the fog lights turn on automatically when the switch is in the HOME position.

My question is is that hack compatible with the V2 of your product?

Kind regards,
Eric
Old 05-08-2024, 05:20 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,597 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by h00etn
There is a hack with a diode put into the original connector - perhaps you know about it - that makes the fog lights turn on automatically when the switch is in the HOME position.
Tell us more?
Old 05-08-2024, 05:36 AM
h00etn
7th Gear

My question was more about if that hack is compatible with Hatzenbach's product.

I mean, the Utkinol hack (diode) is to make running DRL for the fog lights. It works so that when ignition is turned on (Porsche 997.1) the fog lights turn on even when the light switch is on HOME.
The Hatzenbach's product works so that headlights turn on automatically (when it is dark outside) when the lights switch is in HOME position, but it doesn't impact the fog lights.

The thing is that I would like to have this setup when the light switch is in HOME position:
  • Car turned on and daylight - automatic running foglights (and rear lights ON).
  • When it is dark outside - automatic head lights ON

Last edited by h00etn; 05-08-2024 at 05:43 AM.
Hatzenbach (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,250 Likes on 3,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Tell us more?
Post #221 in this thread is the correct instructions for doing the diode hack to have front fog lights on as DRLs whenever the car is running and the lightswitch is in the Home position. Have had this running on my wife's car for over a decade.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3581950
Hatzenbach (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:19 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by h00etn
My question was more about if that hack is compatible with Hatzenbach's product.

I mean, the Utkinol hack (diode) is to make running DRL for the fog lights. It works so that when ignition is turned on (Porsche 997.1) the fog lights turn on even when the light switch is on HOME.
The Hatzenbach's product works so that headlights turn on automatically (when it is dark outside) when the lights switch is in HOME position, but it doesn't impact the fog lights.

The thing is that I would like to have this setup when the light switch is in HOME position:
  • Car turned on and daylight - automatic running foglights (and rear lights ON).
  • When it is dark outside - automatic head lights ON
Thanks for the explanation.
Since a couple weeks I now also have this as an option for 9x7.1 owners. It's the "DRL" option in the product pull down.
However this version came out after @h00etn had ordered his, so I'm happy to see that there's a workaround for that.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:41 PM
h00etn
7th Gear

@Hatzenbach SO, I have tried - but no success in using the diode hack together with your version 2...

I tried putting the diode as described by Utkinpol between yellow/white and red/yellow in the original connector (before your solution, original connector - your solution - light switch) but your solution seems to override.

When I looked at the connector on your solution, there are not the corresponding colored wires, looking at the same spot as the original yellow/white is occupied but the slot corresponding to the red/yellow is empty.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2024, 04:43 PM
h00etn
7th Gear

Sorry, this post was put in the wrong place!

Last edited by h00etn; 05-11-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:45 PM
h00etn
7th Gear

Originally Posted by campbesl
Your device looks awesome. I have a quick question: on my 2008 C4S I have a diode installed on the light switch to operate LED DRLs in the Home position. Will that still work with your device installed or will they not play together?

Thank you.

Scott
Were you able to have the solutions work together?
Old 05-12-2024, 04:03 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

To answer the question "will the Diode hack and the 997research auto headlights work together"?
As confirmed by @h00etn the auto-headlight kit overrides the Diode hack.
However if you like having your foglights act as DRL, simply order the kit with the "DRL option"

Quick Reply: Announcing: Auto headlights version 2 for 997.1 & 997.2