Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moromoto's new 997 headlights. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 05:32 PM
MichaelGCypher
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We posted solutions for multiple instances of issues one may come across.

Facebook Post
The following 2 users liked this post by MichaelGCypher:
Kare Karlsen (03-23-2023), scadams (05-25-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 11:45 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
It has a single + wire for the DRL's. Ground for DRL is internal. I was already running a 12 volt wire from my ignition side of my fuse block so I just used that.
I am trying to bypass the weird programmable box, and just go direct like you did for the DRL. Where did you connect into? Did you use a fuse adder/tap or tap in someplace else in the frunk bay? I haven't looked at it enough yet, but not looking forward to going through the firewall to get to the fuse box. Any pictures you can share?
Old 02-06-2023, 12:30 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Skube
I am trying to bypass the weird programmable box, and just go direct like you did for the DRL. Where did you connect into? Did you use a fuse adder/tap or tap in someplace else in the frunk bay? I haven't looked at it enough yet, but not looking forward to going through the firewall to get to the fuse box. Any pictures you can share?
I tapped into the fusebox, it's the tap on the left side

the next picture shows the firewall on the driver's side (on the left would be the battery and on the right you can see the cap for the windshield water.
There is a rubber grommet (highlighted by the red arrow). I punched a hole through it and pushed the wire through.
I didn't take a picture from the footwell, but's in easy reach behind the pedals

here's a closer look

and I ordered these connectors from amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B092YSQ7...roduct_details to connect to the Morimoto wire harness that goes to the lights

By the way: the second red wire has nothing to do with lighting, it goes to the electric pump for my PDK cooler

The following 4 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
Kare Karlsen (03-23-2023), myw (02-07-2023), Skube (02-06-2023), VT Blue (10-22-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 01:02 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 83 Posts

I installed these yesterday and had no issues with the process. Everything checked out afterward in the garage but I haven't had them out on the road yet. My car is a 2012 997.2 C2S with the standard single projector HIDs. The new lights seem very high quality and look great on & off. The stock headlights look very chrome/dated by comparison (see side-by-side photo below for reference - note the stock unit was already unlocked when I snapped this shot).

Couple tiny install notes:
1. After locking the new units into place, removing the factory tool from the access hole in the side of the frunk was more difficult than with the stock lights. This suggests to me that the Morimoto units may sit (very slightly) differently in the housing than stock -- just enough to shift the retaining bar that locks the headlights a few millimeters aft, causing the tool to bind a bit on the side of the access hole. Not a huge deal, but it was the same for me on both sides, so perhaps not a fluke unique to my car.
2. After install, I notice that when shutting the car down the new DRLs remain lit for about 30 seconds before they turn off. This is like the stock "Home" mode, but occurs even when the switch on the dash is set to the 'OFF' position. Not a big deal but might be nice to be able to have the option of either (like the stock distinction between 'Off" and "Home' on the dial).
3. Looking closely at the outermost trim rings (the part with silver vertical corrugations), the new lights are very similar to OEM units but the trim has six tiny half-moon nicks evenly spaced around their inner edge. These seem intentional, but I can't guess what they're for. Perhaps they are simply an artifact of the manufacturing process. You can see the top pair most obviously; like someone nipped the inner edge with a paper hole punch. The middle and lower pair a much smaller and less noticeable but still there if you look for them. See lowermost photos below. Only a freak would notice.

Overall, I'm a happy customer. I will post an update after I've used these for a few weeks. Cheers!

Comparison of Morimoto (L) vs Stock HID (R)

Last edited by quickxotica; 02-06-2023 at 01:33 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by quickxotica:
ABNJOE (02-12-2023), ATX_Native (12-15-2023), Busta Rib (02-06-2023), Ed99 (02-17-2023), Kare Karlsen (04-02-2023), Meraki Autoworks (02-06-2023), myw (05-07-2024), Skube (02-06-2023), tuner562 (02-06-2023), VT Blue (10-22-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-06-2023, 04:40 AM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Yes we're a Morimoto dealer, good amount of positive feedback on these for people that wanted to replace their yellow'd headlights or damaged ones.

-Josh
Good to have you here as well Josh.
Member designo on the CL forum here.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:03 AM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach

the next picture shows the firewall on the driver's side (on the left would be the battery and on the right you can see the cap for the windshield water.
There is a rubber grommet (highlighted by the red arrow). I punched a hole through it and pushed the wire through.
I didn't take a picture from the footwell, but's in easy reach behind the pedals

here's a closer look

and I ordered these connectors from amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B092YSQ7...roduct_details to connect to the Morimoto wire harness that goes to the lights

By the way: the second red wire has nothing to do with lighting, it goes to the electric pump for my PDK cooler
Thank you, pictures are super helpful, and this is real really clean method, buying parts today to get this prep work done before the lights go in.
Kare Karlsen (04-02-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 11:31 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Skube
Yes, run a 7.5 amp small fusable link.
Kare Karlsen (04-02-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 219 Posts

I tapped into fuse C2, but you could also use for example B9
Also a 5 Amp fuse should be more than enough
5 Amp = 60W at 12V, I doubt that the LED lights pull more than 30W

Old 02-06-2023, 01:29 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BRN9121
Good to have you here as well Josh.
Member designo on the CL forum here.
Nice!

Let us know if you need anything.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

BRN9121 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:06 PM
MichaelGCypher
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

(deleted - it was already answered)

I also added the direct wire info you guys listed above to my product listing page - thanks for that!

https://cyphervehicledesign.com/prod...le-pre-order-2

Last edited by MichaelGCypher; 02-06-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:54 PM
PorscheRob23
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach

here's a closer look

my engine bay has a blue wire going through the area you’re suggesting, are there any alternative areas where I can fish a wire through to the fuse box? I think the blue wire might be for the PASM.

better angle, blue wire is attached to front suspension.

Better angle

Last edited by PorscheRob23; 02-08-2023 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:24 PM
PorscheRob23
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheRob23
my engine bay has a blue wire going through the area you’re suggesting, are there any alternative areas where I can fish a wire through to the fuse box? I think the blue wire might be for the PASM.

better angle, blue wire is attached to front suspension.

Better angle
update, just pull a line of automotive wire around the grommet. Then splice with connector head.

VT Blue (10-22-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 11:34 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 561 Likes on 333 Posts

is there a version with the headlamp rings that match the factory gunMetal oem shade?

there was a video review that acknowledged the grey ring color being light compared to the factory shade - being a beautiful black housing headlamp the ring should be darker as per all the oem black headlamp housing designs.

Originally Posted by quickxotica

Comparison of Morimoto (L) vs Stock HID (R)
Old 02-12-2023, 02:29 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Just installed these and I love them 2 question for the experts…
1) when I run the DRL line to the fuse box (decided to bypass the morimoto box) do I need a ground? And if so how do I add one? There seems to be only a single wire.

2) the passenger light went in but I don’t get a locking sound like I did on the drivers side. I also can’t seem to unlock it… any thoughts on this? I can’t seem to remove or lock it w the sound now.

thanks!

Old 02-12-2023, 02:44 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 382 Posts

It is grounded internally. Cant answer your second question. Both of mine clicked when locking like OEM.

Quick Reply: Moromoto's new 997 headlights. Anyone?