Sponsored by:

Audio upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 06:18 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Audio upgrades

Ok, I know there are tons of posts out there on upgrading the audio upgrades, but I’m starting a pretty good sized project in my 997 and would love to see some recent work.

As I do mine, I’ll post pics too.

id love to see any sub ideas people have come up with, from basic to elaborate, speaker upgrades, and amplifier racks specifically.

Also, any cool fiberglass work, mods for controls, radar detectors, anything creative.

i hope it will be a fun and cool thread.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:47 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

2009 C2S 190K miles

Please denote what car you have. Bose premium and non-premium are different animals as is the .1 and .2 cars. .1 and .2 differences (PCM 2 and 3) are pretty dramatic actually and require very different approaches unless you are doing a wholesale replacement of all electronics. Even then, this type of replacement effects items such what you see in your dash (under your tachometer) and what electronics options are available to use (such as auto-door locks/sport chrono)... it gets very complicated. It ain't like the ol' days.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 03:21 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Default Porsche 997.1 C4S cabriolet

Thanks for the feedback Bruce.

I have a 2008 997.1 C4S cabriolet. I am doing a wholesale change of all components fr
head unit to amplifiers to speakers.

I am aware of the challenges with the Bose system amplifier as well as it’s connectivity to the CD changer and reliance on that.

As I’m going to remove both, adding Audio Control amplifiers with active crossovers, should be good to go.

im replacing the front door three way speakers with Focals. I’m also going to build a custom enclosure (mine will be fiberglass but will look like the pic attached). Amp rack is going to be in the frunk basically like what’s there already but larger to accommodate both amplifiers.

Love to hear about yours and others experiences. Excited to learn from others.

sierra73 (09-01-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

Wow! You go!

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:27 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Are you planning on using a DSP? That would be at the top of my list of components. They make an enormous difference in the quality of sound once you tune everything. My 2C on the sub is that the current dual 6" subs are boomy and don't go low enough. I am not planning on doing any upgrades to my 911 because I have good sound in my other cars and I prefer to hear the 911's famous 4k harmonics instead, but if I did anything it would be to re-design the existing sub box to include a single dual VC 8" JLW6 and seal it. I have had both sealed and vented subs and the sealed subs integrate with the fronts far better. The only downside is you have to have an amp that can push them down to 30Hz since they roll off sooner. With a DSP this is a simple tuning exercise.
MarkTro (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 08:33 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Default Yes on the DSP

Originally Posted by BucketList
Are you planning on using a DSP? That would be at the top of my list of components. They make an enormous difference in the quality of sound once you tune everything. My 2C on the sub is that the current dual 6" subs are boomy and don't go low enough. I am not planning on doing any upgrades to my 911 because I have good sound in my other cars and I prefer to hear the 911's famous 4k harmonics instead, but if I did anything it would be to re-design the existing sub box to include a single dual VC 8" JLW6 and seal it. I have had both sealed and vented subs and the sealed subs integrate with the fronts far better. The only downside is you have to have an amp that can push them down to 30Hz since they roll off sooner. With a DSP this is a simple tuning exercise.
Yes sir, I completely agree! I’m using Audio Control’s amps with built in DSP and their EpiCenter as well.

I seriously considered the front sub remake, but just didn’t like seeing the speakers on the front and wasn’t sure of the amount of impact that smaller sealed enclosure would give.

Love to know if you think the JL would give suitable output with the top down?
Old 06-23-2023, 08:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,764 Likes on 4,304 Posts

Here's mine - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-upgrade.html

Biggest improvement was a from the Focal Utopia mini subs into the stock enclosure once I used a larger Rockford amp to drive them and having the remote bass **** by my seat controls is very useful
useful

The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
ABNJOE (03-15-2024), MarkTro (06-24-2023), Rig.Stunts (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 10:58 AM
r_towle
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

2006 c2S cab
i bought the car with a Sony head unit already in place
i replaced it with a new Ken wood to do wireless CarPlay.

what am I missing on dash displays that I have never seen? Both units have no pcm anything.

I do see oil, and CEL (tyvm) and my door locks, pasm all work.. I seem to have an aftermarket roof electrical device I have yet to investigate, but it allows me to put the roof down with the key…but not back up again.

im curious what notifications I am missing on the dash with an aftermarket head unit???
MarkTro (06-24-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 07:31 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkTro
Yes sir, I completely agree! I’m using Audio Control’s amps with built in DSP and their EpiCenter as well.

I seriously considered the front sub remake, but just didn’t like seeing the speakers on the front and wasn’t sure of the amount of impact that smaller sealed enclosure would give.

Love to know if you think the JL would give suitable output with the top down?
Good question. I have never owned a convertible so it's hard for me to gauge that. It would be more than enough in my coupe. I got a killer deal on a 12" JLW6v3 on c-list and it can crush my brain in my TSX... The 911 is even smaller, but with open roof? IDK. I think the box has enough volume for a 10 or even a 12 but it's shallow and probably won't be deep enough. You will have to make some measurements.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:45 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by BucketList
Good question. I have never owned a convertible so it's hard for me to gauge that. It would be more than enough in my coupe. I got a killer deal on a 12" JLW6v3 on c-list and it can crush my brain in my TSX... The 911 is even smaller, but with open roof? IDK. I think the box has enough volume for a 10 or even a 12 but it's shallow and probably won't be deep enough. You will have to make some measurements.
Agreed. There is a LOT of loss with the top down. I also know that having the subs fire up will have output just go out in the open air.

However, I typically keep the seat tops down and put cargo on top of the backs of the upper seats. This will allow something for the sound to bounce off of when the top is down.

And, I doing the measurements, I can get almost 2/3 of a cubic foot for each enclosure as opposed to about .2 for boxes behind the seats. I’m looking at the Audio Control 10s, that’s almost optimum as a sealed enclosure for them.

That’s my reasoning anyway. :-)

Last edited by MarkTro; 06-24-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:51 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Default This looks fantastic!

Originally Posted by Petza914
Here's mine - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-upgrade.html

Biggest improvement was a from the Focal Utopia mini subs into the stock enclosure once I used a larger Rockford amp to drive them and having the remote bass **** by my seat controls is very useful
useful

This looks super cool! Good for you and I love the level control near the driver’s seat. Very custom.

im planning on mounting the EpiCenter control on the little panel to the right of the steering wheel (opposite the ignition), which is blank in my car.

Im doing the Focal K2 series (and would LOVE to hear the Utopias). Love the idea of the rear deck enclosure, but the cab doesn’t have that option.

​​​​​​​did you do the work yourself?

Old 06-24-2023, 12:53 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by r_towle
2006 c2S cab
i bought the car with a Sony head unit already in place
i replaced it with a new Ken wood to do wireless CarPlay.

what am I missing on dash displays that I have never seen? Both units have no pcm anything.

I do see oil, and CEL (tyvm) and my door locks, pasm all work.. I seem to have an aftermarket roof electrical device I have yet to investigate, but it allows me to put the roof down with the key…but not back up again.

im curious what notifications I am missing on the dash with an aftermarket head unit???
Sorry, I don’t know the answer on this one. I don’t “think” the PCCM does much by way of displaying that info but I might be mistaken.
Old 06-24-2023, 01:05 PM
r_towle
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

What does PCCM do?
Old 06-24-2023, 01:45 PM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

I replaced the standard (non-Bose) system with a Pioneer HU, Focal door speakers and J&L sub with a J&L sub amp with gain control under the dash. I also installed a backup camera that comes on when reverse is selected.

MarkTro (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 02:53 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by propchef
I replaced the standard (non-Bose) system with a Pioneer HU, Focal door speakers and J&L sub with a J&L sub amp with gain control under the dash. I also installed a backup camera that comes on when reverse is selected.

Love it! Stealth with the amplifier behind the front frunk panel. How do you like the sound overall?

Quick Reply: Audio upgrades