Sponsored by:

Grinding and Notchy when Shifting into Second Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 06:27 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks

[QUOTE=BillB128;19207976]I think you can chalk a lot of your issues up to your driving environment. Most, if not all, of the people saying they have never experienced an issue
selecting second gear when both the weather and vehicle are cold, live in warmer climes. If you're out and it's in the 30's I think you just have
to be ready to really take your time selecting 2nd gear or reverse for the first few miles of operation.

I've owned and driven manual transmission cars for my entire life and have owned my current 997 for over eleven years. I have experienced the second gear crunch if I'm not super
patient on a chilly morning (sub 50's). I've double clutched and also selected another gear before selecting reverse. All these operations will help, but I think the common denominator is taking a
few beats before you select second or reverse. And by a few beats, I mean like a Two Mississippi count .
I look at it as an inherent trait of the car.

On the bright side, you're out enjoying your car in weather that many owners won't brave, so hold your head high

Hope this helps,
Bill[/QUOT
The following 2 users liked this post by RZau:
Floyd540 (01-08-2024), groovzilla (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:01 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BillB128
I think you can chalk a lot of your issues up to your driving environment. Most, if not all, of the people saying they have never experienced an issue
selecting second gear when both the weather and vehicle are cold, live in warmer climes. If you're out and it's in the 30's I think you just have
to be ready to really take your time selecting 2nd gear or reverse for the first few miles of operation.

I've owned and driven manual transmission cars for my entire life and have owned my current 997 for over eleven years. I have experienced the second gear crunch if I'm not super
patient on a chilly morning (sub 50's). I've double clutched and also selected another gear before selecting reverse. All these operations will help, but I think the common denominator is taking a
few beats before you select second or reverse. And by a few beats, I mean like a Two Mississippi count .
I look at it as an inherent trait of the car.

On the bright side, you're out enjoying your car in weather that many owners won't brave, so hold your head high

Hope this helps,
Bill
I get a grind when cold after starting the car and putting it into reverse. I think I can avoid it by putting the car in third then reverse immediately after, or by warming up the car.

Is this possibly normal? It seems to have started after changing fluid to PTX.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:38 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 101 Posts

If by cold, you mean below 50 deg F, then in my opinion that's normal as long as the symptom goes away once the car warms up.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:00 AM
Maxdetail
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

have upgraded my shifter to the GT3 shifter and nothing has really changed. I think it is just a Porsche thing.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:59 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Second Gear Grind

I finally figured out why my **** from first to second gear when the engine is cold. ( first start). My error. After watching the way my mechanic fast shift at a higher RPM (4500). No grind. I believe that until the engine is warm, on a not so cold day shifting fast and deliberate into second all in one motion is my fix. Although I have driven manual cars before, second gear on my 997.2 911 is temperamental. I do believe by being lazy with the movements of each part of the shift is what was causing a second gear grind.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:23 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RZau
I finally figured out why my **** from first to second gear when the engine is cold. ( first start). My error. After watching the way my mechanic fast shift at a higher RPM (4500). No grind. I believe that until the engine is warm, on a not so cold day shifting fast and deliberate into second all in one motion is my fix. Although I have driven manual cars before, second gear on my 997.2 911 is temperamental. I do believe by being lazy with the movements of each part of the shift is what was causing a second gear grind.
shifting above 3500 rpm when engine oil temp is below 175* is not advisable
Old 01-28-2024, 10:15 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Had the same issue. Switched to Redline, slight pause in neutral when cold, but the best solution was to make sure the clutch is all the way in before pulling back the stick. Those of us who have always driven sticks have the habit of pulling the lever roughly at the same time and pushing in the clutch. I think it forces me to pause just enough that the shifts are smooth and clean.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:54 AM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Shifting above 3500

You are right. Shifting above 175 is not advisable and I won’t do it again. I just needed reassurance that there was no issues with my tranny. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Grinding and Notchy when Shifting into Second Gear