Sponsored by:

Grinding and Notchy when Shifting into Second Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 08:14 AM
RZau
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 997.2’s

With a lot of research on the forums and where I bought my car, I have come to the conclusion that these cars do this until warmed up. Like I said. My car had its gear oil changed and in the process of having a SS installed (which helped my 997.1). I’ll keep you updated when I get my car back.
The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (05-05-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 09:30 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

I have the same 1-2 stickiness when cold, but also an audible grinding when going to 4th or 5th when cold. Again, goes away when warm. You guys don't hear that ever?
Old 05-03-2023, 09:31 PM
JAAM
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

I switched to Pentosin DOT 4 and noticed a significant difference in shifting performance. I have usedother brands in the past and Pentosin definitely produces crispier shifts even at lower temperatures.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:02 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Grinding

I only have a second gear notchiness/ grind. All other gears are sweet when cold.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:42 PM
carguy999
Pro

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
FWIW, there is an update kit that changes the linkage bushings at the transmission from plastic to aluminum. I put these onto a couple of friends' cars. They both reported smoother shifting. My main concern was reliability, not wanting to have to fix the dreaded transmission linkage failure on the side of the road. The smoother shifting was merely a bonus.

Also FWIW, I had previously installed short shifter kits on these cars as well. So two things were different.
@Wayne Smith do you have a link to this?
The following users liked this post:
jbl16 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy999
@Wayne Smith do you have a link to this?
The short shift kits varied from one friend to another. The cable linkage upgrade (replacing plastic that can break and leave you stranded with metal bushings) can be found here ...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...UaAmRJEALw_wcB

FWIW, manual transmissions need to have oil fed up to the gears so that the synchros can slow down to allow meshing when shifting. It would be absurd, IMHO, to expect absolutely smooth shifting before the car has been driven a bit. Cold car shifting should be done methodically. Are we over thinking things a bit in this thread?

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 05-05-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:09 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Second Gear Improved

Hey folks. I had my gearbox oil changed a short throw shifter put in with my own heavier shifter ball. Overall I feel a little improvement. It’s not the transmission and as previously written I just think that it is notchy under 3000 RPM’s until warm and that’s that. Many threads confirm this. I will now drive my Carrera S with a clear mind.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:31 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

You have joined the club! Porsche manual trans shifting has always been an engineering challenge from day 1. The fact that the transmission is so far away from the shift lever is problem 1. Unlike "normal" cars that have the shift stick directly connected to the trans top and the shift rails, Porsche has some type of monkey motion which adds lost motion or flex as in cable shifting. Remember the trans is moving around with the engine via rubber mounts. The stick is attached to the body shell. Next item is the more power that is produced, the bigger, thus heavier gear wheels are required. This then requires more rugged synchros which are not light and delicate. Cars with 200 HP engines are touted as easy shifting. Cars equipped with 400+ capability will be different. Go drive an 8 speed dump truck and report back.
Item 3 is people tend to forget that the left foot action is also key to playing this instrument. While it may seem easy to slip into and out of gear with minimal clutch foot action, this is wrong. Go out and pay attention for a while and make sure you push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Make this a habit. Synchros take a beating if the clutch is not completely disengaged. Go out and drive a crash box non sybchro spur gear transmission for a while. This will wake up your skills.
Go smooth and think about the left foot.
Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by Floyd540:
carguy999 (05-05-2023), jchapura (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 09:12 PM
carguy999
Pro

My clutch pushes down smoothly about 95% of the way, then if I REALLY push it will go another 5%. Not typical? I've had two shops say the clutch is in good condition so idk if anything is wrong.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:58 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Floyd540
You have joined the club! Porsche manual trans shifting has always been an engineering challenge from day 1. The fact that the transmission is so far away from the shift lever is problem 1. Unlike "normal" cars that have the shift stick directly connected to the trans top and the shift rails, Porsche has some type of monkey motion which adds lost motion or flex as in cable shifting. Remember the trans is moving around with the engine via rubber mounts. The stick is attached to the body shell. Next item is the more power that is produced, the bigger, thus heavier gear wheels are required. This then requires more rugged synchros which are not light and delicate. Cars with 200 HP engines are touted as easy shifting. Cars equipped with 400+ capability will be different. Go drive an 8 speed dump truck and report back.
Item 3 is people tend to forget that the left foot action is also key to playing this instrument. While it may seem easy to slip into and out of gear with minimal clutch foot action, this is wrong. Go out and pay attention for a while and make sure you push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Make this a habit. Synchros take a beating if the clutch is not completely disengaged. Go out and drive a crash box non sybchro spur gear transmission for a while. This will wake up your skills.
Go smooth and think about the left foot.
Enjoy!
I have to disagree - Yes early 911's 1974-1983 915 tranny had bad syncros but the shifting when syncros were in good shape was always smooth. Same with later 911/964/993 & 996 - My 7 997's always shifted smooth.
Never any hold back or grinding/notchy-ness when cold.
**However sometimes 997 tranny a little "Stiff" getting into gear when cold but never any grinding or notchy feel.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I have to disagree - Yes early 911's 1974-1983 915 tranny had bad syncros but the shifting when syncros were in good shape was always smooth. Same with later 911/964/993 & 996 - My 7 997's always shifted smooth.
Never any hold back or grinding/notchy-ness when cold.

**However sometimes 997 tranny a little "Stiff" getting into gear when cold but never any grinding or notchy feel.
Same here. My first 911 was a 1971 911 T. Never had any transmission issues with it and I lived in Europe at that time so cold or cool weather on and off for around 6 months of the year. I honestly can't recall a grinding shift in that car and I put about 30K miles on it. Like you, I also don't understand all the complaints about the 997 manual.

And as I've said before, I put just over 40K miles on a manual -06 997 C4S. You or whoever could offer me a big reward to describe the grinding noise of a 997 and I put 45K miles on that car as I recall it and couldn't do it. Never heard it. Had a short shift kit installed on the -06 C4S and it took the dealership tech 3 test drives to make him happy with it. He said the adjustments of the cables is critical and if not done right, the result won't be satisfying.

Maybe that's what the story is with the complaints about the 997 manual. A short shift kit was installed by someone who didn't know what he was doing and it won't work right. Again, as I've said before, my short shift kit was installed to perfection by the dealership and turned into the best manual transmission I've ever driven. Based on previous posts on this matter, some attempt to install the short shift kit themselves. Maybe some manage to do it right and others don't. Is that the source of some of the complains??
Old 05-06-2023, 12:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Same here. My first 911 was a 1971 911 T. Never had any transmission issues with it and I lived in Europe at that time so cold or cool weather on and off for around 6 months of the year. I honestly can't recall a grinding shift in that car and I put about 30K miles on it. Like you, I also don't understand all the complaints about the 997 manual.
And as I've said before, I put just over 40K miles on a manual -06 997 C4S. You or whoever could offer me a big reward to describe the grinding noise of a 997 and I put 45K miles on that car as I recall it and couldn't do it. Never heard it. Had a short shift kit installed on the -06 C4S and it took the dealership tech 3 test drives to make him happy with it. He said the adjustments of the cables is critical and if not done right, the result won't be satisfying.
Maybe that's what the story is with the complaints about the 997 manual. A short shift kit was installed by someone who didn't know what he was doing and it won't work right. Again, as I've said before, my short shift kit was installed to perfection by the dealership and turned into the best manual transmission I've ever driven. Based on previous posts on this matter, some attempt to install the short shift kit themselves. Maybe some manage to do it right and others don't. Is that the source of some of the complains??
Well said Sandwedge---> I have Function First short shift kit in my car. Also had short shift kit in a few of my past 997's but again whether short shift kit installed or not, tranny always shifted smooth.
FYI as aircooled 911 owners are aware the 915 transmission found in 1974-1983 911's had poor syncros resulting in grinding and almost every tranny needed rebuild. Back then in my 911sc's the cost was about $1500-$2000 for the rebuild.
These days the parts alone cost $2500-$4000 (If you need some gears which many do from the grinding) and labor is another $2500 making the 915 tranny rebuild in the $5-$7000 range.
I miss the old days

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-06-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:52 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

To clarify the Porsche transmission engineering challenges are many due to the rear engine and transaxle drive system. They have done a marvelous job in overcoming these issues that are unique to these cars. To add to my above post, item 4 for design problems to reckon with is the use of a transaxle. Anyone with even basic tribology background will know that the lubricant for a hypoid ring and pinion is exactly wrong for a synchronized trans gearset. Thus the great compromise begins. The choice of Mobil PTX is a result of this. The other fun fact is that historically, first gear was only used to move off from a standing start and not downshifted into or used again until another full stop. Hence the early 5 speed dogleg shift pattern. Upshifting is easy as you are speeding up the gearwheel to match which your trained right foot can do. Therefore no synchro heavy lifting is required.
Also to clarify use and driver experience. I have never had shifting issues with driving Porsches. All of mine have been easy and smooth. This includes pre A 356's (519 gearbox for those of you keeping score) ; Early 911's (earlier than those noted above), late 911's and finally my 997.2.
All are unique but once the skill is figured out they work terrific. My 997.2 does shift a bit slow when cold but so do I. Once going it is finger tip up and down through the gears.
For those responding above that they have no issues shifting, that means they know how. How good is that?
Old 05-06-2023, 05:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Floyd540
To clarify the Porsche transmission engineering challenges are many due to the rear engine and transaxle drive system. They have done a marvelous job in overcoming these issues that are unique to these cars. To add to my above post, item 4 for design problems to reckon with is the use of a transaxle. Anyone with even basic tribology background will know that the lubricant for a hypoid ring and pinion is exactly wrong for a synchronized trans gearset. Thus the great compromise begins. The choice of Mobil PTX is a result of this. The other fun fact is that historically, first gear was only used to move off from a standing start and not downshifted into or used again until another full stop. Hence the early 5 speed dogleg shift pattern. Upshifting is easy as you are speeding up the gearwheel to match which your trained right foot can do. Therefore no synchro heavy lifting is required.
Also to clarify use and driver experience. I have never had shifting issues with driving Porsches. All of mine have been easy and smooth. This includes pre A 356's (519 gearbox for those of you keeping score) ; Early 911's (earlier than those noted above), late 911's and finally my 997.2.
All are unique but once the skill is figured out they work terrific. My 997.2 does shift a bit slow when cold but so do I. Once going it is finger tip up and down through the gears.
For those responding above that they have no issues shifting, that means they know how. How good is that?
You forgot to mention having the ability to find the gears in Pre-A Cars
Most had some "Slop" making finding gears a bit of a task sometimes.

Miss my Jade Green 1953 Bent Window Sunroof - All original paint and floors.

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-06-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:56 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Congrats on reading my mind on my use of the word "unique" in the above post. Yes, stirring around with the long stick to find a gear, any gear is the unique part of shifting, brought over from the VW box. At least it was not "notchy" or hard to do given the leverage provided by super long stick. Shift throws were a bit longer than today, but still less than 3 feet. This is the box where reverse lived in an apartment all his own. Once you got used to the stirring around in the dark, it was quite satisfying, not fast but a joy to shift. Early 911's (pre 915) also had a non guided bit of stirring around until you learned how to play it. What I do not like is cars that have hard guides to direct your movements via hard gate plates. You know who that is. Too industrial feeling.
Back to my original statement somewhere, Given a trained left foot, right foot, brain, feel, timing and a right hand, shifting Porsche transmissions are a joy.
Riding the clutch with the left foot or keeping you hand on the shift lever or trying to get it to go with brute force just destroys the equipment.

Quick Reply: Grinding and Notchy when Shifting into Second Gear