Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 isn’t the Goldilocks I thought it would be

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 08:52 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Seems like OP isn’t looking for a goldilocks car. I get that. My Viper GTS blue/white isn’t a Goldilocks type care. It IS a complete event to drive and in terms of “event” even further down the scale than most Ferraris I’ve driven.

My Alfa 4C is similarly more “special” and feels like a mini McLaren.

My 997.2 4S (manual) DOES do most things better (and styling wise is the most proportionate, and least controversial). Beautiful, fun car but not nearly so extreme.

It is that balance that makes it truly “just right” but perhaps balance isn’t what OP seeks.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:48 AM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
I beg to differ - but a base 997.1 may be the softest of the bunch in terms of getting that fizzy feeling - but still a great car that could benefit from being sharpened up a bit.

It can, and does everything - 6 years and 40k miles later:

sport utility / hauler / everything / car

Awesome. Which part of the Redwoods?

Old 03-18-2023, 10:43 AM
Kempa
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I've had my 911 since I bought her new in 2010! I ordered the PTS Turquoise Blue and and every other option that I have in her and I've done some small mods like exhaust, SS and aftermarket wheels. She's mine the way I created her and I absolutely love that car and the older I get the deeper I fall! LOL!

I could never sell her and I do hardly drive her but when I pull her out for a drive somewhere or take har to dinner...well I'm in love all over again. Different strokes...but I'm hopelessly in love and the fact that Porsche's keep getting bigger and uglier...at least to my eyes make me value her all the more!

I also love this 85 CJ just as much! Another car I'd never sell! And I feel both are irreplaceable!

lots of parallels in the Jeep and 911 community - arguments about the last “real” model and the square headlight jeeps parallel the 996 - bastard child. I guess that is what happens when a model survives 50+ years
The following 2 users liked this post by Kempa:
TommyV44 (03-18-2023), TRINITONY (03-18-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 03:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I could never sell her and I do hardly drive her but when I pull her out for a drive somewhere or take har to dinner...well I'm in love all over again. Different strokes...but I'm hopelessly in love and the fact that Porsche's keep getting bigger and uglier...at least to my eyes make me value her all the more!

Tommy.....two more eyes and another brain that see it and think exactly the same way for what it's worth
The following users liked this post:
TommyV44 (03-20-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:04 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
@jamesinger Your quote:

"I have spent HOURS (like for real) at work looking at this pic. of my car. I want a car that I can stare at forever and want to stare at it more. It isn't even that good of a pic."

Drive your car up into the mountains forming the backdrop of your photo.
Snap a picture worth hours of staring. (The two at the bottom are my car were taken last November with an iPhone.)

You live beneath some of the very best driving/ scenic roads in the US- accessible all year round (except for fires and freak snowfalls).

Get out there and stretch that car's legs and post a picture we can drool over!

This is your freaking backyard.
I am so jealous.

My God, what I would do for roads like that......
The following 4 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
DesmoSD (03-22-2023), jamesinger (03-24-2023), Liste-Renn (03-24-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 07:12 PM
hays0023
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in the PNW and just got my 997.2 Targa 4S - it is everything I have ever dreamt of and more 😍
The following 5 users liked this post by hays0023:
DesmoSD (03-24-2023), Graufuchs (03-25-2023), Kodos9865 (04-03-2023), Ob917 (03-24-2023), TheMurse (03-24-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 07:31 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

@jamesinger Your quote:

"I have spent HOURS (like for real) at work looking at this pic. of my car. I want a car that I can stare at forever and want to stare at it more. It isn't even that good of a pic."

Drive your car up into the mountains forming the backdrop of your photo.
Snap a picture worth hours of staring. (The two at the bottom are my car were taken last November with an iPhone.)

You live beneath some of the very best driving/ scenic roads in the US- accessible all year round (except for fires and freak snowfalls).

Get out there and stretch that car's legs and post a picture we can drool over!

This is your freaking backyard.
I am so jealous.

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
My God, what I would do for roads like that......
Good ol Latigo Canyon! It's a fun road but you don't want to mess around with those cliffs. Heading west is amazing as you get a full panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean. As much as I miss those mountains, I now life 45 mins from the Tail of the dragon

https://www.rennsportdragonrally.com/tail-of-the-dragon

The following 3 users liked this post by DesmoSD:
jamesinger (03-24-2023), Liste-Renn (03-24-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (03-22-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 06:29 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 639 Posts

Having driven both of them...Latigo, Puima, and Deer Canyon Roads, not to mention Yerba Buena, Decker, and the Mulholland Highway, it is simply no contest.
SoCal Malibu canyons alone totally eclipse the TotD.
Like exponentially.
Not even close.

Enjoy what you got, but the Appalachians are anemic driving roads compared to the absolutely spectacular Laguna, San Jacinto, Santa Rosa, Santa Ana and Palomar mountain range roads- not to mention the Southern Sierra Nevada routes into box canyons with little/no traffic. Most are accessible/driveable 12-months a year.

You admit to previously living/driving there..yet post the TotD as some kind of equivalent? In my experience, it is 90% hype and 10% fun...with great foliage.

Look at the attached google map screenshots, outside of the Rockies (closed due to snow half the year) and the European Alps (same weather restrictions), SoCal out rocks or equals them. With weather a consideration, it's not even a close comparison with those curves.

And if you want to emulate the autobahn, scream to/from LA to Vegas on I-15 late at night- the upper limit is your car's Vmax, and/or your courage.

The Angeles Crest Highway is equally awesome and iconic:

Attached Files

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 03-24-2023 at 07:43 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
DesmoSD (03-24-2023), dlascoskie (03-24-2023), DS770 (03-25-2023), ftc3 (03-24-2023), jamesinger (03-24-2023), Kodos9865 (04-03-2023), Ob917 (03-24-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2023, 02:18 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Having driven both of them...Latigo, Puima, and Deer Canyon Roads, not to mention Yerba Buena, Decker, and the Mulholland Highway, it is simply no contest.
Like exponentially.
Not even close.

Enjoy what you got, but the Appalachians are anemic driving roads compared to the absolutely spectacular Laguna, San Jacinto, Santa Rosa, Santa Ana and Palomar mountain range roads- not to mention the Southern Sierra Nevada routes into box canyons with little/no traffic. Most are accessible/driveable 12-months a year.

You admit to previously living/driving there..yet post the TotD as some kind of equivalent? In my experience, it is 90% hype and 10% fun...with great foliage.

Look at the attached google map screenshots, outside of the Rockies (closed due to snow half the year) and the European Alps (same weather restrictions), SoCal out rocks or equals them. With weather a consideration, it's not even a close comparison with those curves.

And if you want to emulate the autobahn, scream to/from LA to Vegas on I-15 late at night- the upper limit is your car's Vmax, and/or your courage.

https://youtu.be/DSHQIldYRg8
No argument there! SoCal mountains are definitely unique. NorCal has some nice roads too (lived in Napa) but that Latigo Canyon is something special. Palomar Mountain in San Diego was my original stomping grounds on both two and 4 wheels back in the day.

However, living in Knoxville and being about 40 mins away, I'll gladly accept the Smokey Mountains and TofD compared to most of the flat areas around the nation. Plus, they are building a brand new race track 30 mins east of Knoxville called Flat Rock Motorsports.

Flat Rock

The following 3 users liked this post by DesmoSD:
Kodos9865 (04-03-2023), Liste-Renn (03-26-2023), ManoTexas (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 03:54 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

Tail of dragon over hyped, too many people. Lots of sweet roads near Knoxville just as good with no traffic. East tn is bike and 911 heaven. No offense to west coasters.
The following 2 users liked this post by ManoTexas:
DesmoSD (03-24-2023), Liste-Renn (03-26-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 04:20 PM
dlascoskie
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 21 Posts

Like exponentially.
Not even close.

https://youtu.be/DSHQIldYRg8
Mullholland Highway is amazing....and I've only driven it once, with a toyota rental, lol. Need to get my Porsche out there soon!
Old 03-24-2023, 04:50 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

I love where this thread is going!
haha.
I am lucky to have lived in CA all my life between San Diego, which has AMAZING roads, especially NE Co.....LA, right by ACH and before that, just off the 405 with close reach to Mulholland and etc.....and then in the bay within a close drive to Muir Woods and Stinson Beach... Getting lost in the Angeles National Forest on a random weekday afternoon bunking off from work has to be one joy of middle age for sure!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jamesinger:
DesmoSD (03-24-2023), Liste-Renn (03-26-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 04:52 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

p.s. I know there are a lot of cyclists on here too, so DOUBLE for them. I live under a mile from the dirt trail entrance to Angeles National Forest, so you can ride a bike on tarmac or dirt all the way up.
Kodos9865 (04-03-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 05:01 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Tail of dragon over hyped, too many people. Lots of sweet roads near Knoxville just as good with no traffic. East tn is bike and 911 heaven. No offense to west coasters.
Tellico/165 is a nice drive. 321 to Pigeon Forge is also nice. Now that the weather is nice, it's going to be a zoo there. I prefer dring during the weekdays to avoid the crowds.

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I love where this thread is going!
haha.
I am lucky to have lived in CA all my life between San Diego, which has AMAZING roads, especially NE Co.....LA, right by ACH and before that, just off the 405 with close reach to Mulholland and etc.....and then in the bay within a close drive to Muir Woods and Stinson Beach... Getting lost in the Angeles National Forest on a random weekday afternoon bunking off from work has to be one joy of middle age for sure!!
Maybe there should be a Goldilocks canyon thread and what isn't what I thought it would be. Did ever give the impression that ToD is better then SoCal canyons? I was mentioning my old stomping grounds and my current stomping grounds.

Did you ever drive through Highland Valley going to Ramona or Anza Borrego when you were in SD?

Last edited by DesmoSD; 03-24-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Liste-Renn (03-26-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 07:42 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

From 92-2000 I really felt like Highland Valley was my secret. I never saw cars on there and if you are really in tune with the road, it is super obvious when someone is coming IF they are. As a kid, I had a friend that lived back there, so I knew most of the little roads and etc. back there. I liked getting on it right by the 15/Pomerado and then take it to Ramona and sometimes beyond. Being from Poway, the whole area is like a playground for cars, bikes, skateboards, motoX, MTB, whatever. I even had a friend who would rip around on a ducati pista back there 😬😬😬.

Originally Posted by DesmoSD

Maybe there should be a Goldilocks canyon thread and what isn't what I thought it would be. Did ever give the impression that ToD is better then SoCal canyons? I was mentioning my old stomping grounds and my current stomping grounds.

Did you ever drive through Highland Valley going to Ramona or Anza Borrego when you were in SD?

Quick Reply: 997 isn’t the Goldilocks I thought it would be