Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S Market Values - Early Bore Scored as-is vs. rebuild with Nickies, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 10:18 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Just to be clear, using anything in the oil that might break stuff free within a modern Porsche engine is a no-no. For example, the lifters being that they have only an in hole end up acting like a filter.. You're likely to make things worse by using any solvent in the oil, not to mention anything that is going to reduce the film strength of the oil, especially with the Alusil or Lokasil bores, is asking for trouble. I can't be any more clear on this.

If you come across an engine that has been poorly serviced, the best thing you can do is shorten oil change intervals and do several oil and filter changes in short succession.
Thank you Charles - this is all very helpful.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:38 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts

Wait to get the UOA back from SpeeDiagnostix ...... and it should corroborate what you are seeing visually with the borescope
Old 03-07-2023, 10:51 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaPCar
So, it seems this is what I'm gathering so far:
  1. From the pictures & video I posted, no one has seemed to be terribly concerned about the scuffing in #6. Is that the case?
    1. FWIW - I sent the pics to my main Porsche indy and he called it "normal wear" for 16 years/80K miles. About to send to another Porsche indy who has seen my car to see if he concurs.
  2. The ticking may be another problem. Maybe stuck lifter, loose spark plug, or leaky exhaust gasket?
  3. Consensus is to NOT use Seafoam or other additives in the oil (in case it is a stuck lifter). Sounds like it worked for Ericson38 but he got lucky with no damage?
Also, I cut open filters from my past 2 oil changes, and saw only 5-10 microscopic reflective specs in each filter. I did notice in my borescope pictures that there could be some tiny flakes on the back of the pistons. Or it could just be specs of oil reflecting the borescope's light? Hard to tell.

Now that I have fresh Driven DT40, should I just do a good ole' fashioned Italian tune-up on the highway at around 4500 rpm for 10-20 minutes and see the results? Tried that with a slightly higher concentration of Seafoam in the fuel tank (engine was still on Liquid Moly 5W40 though) and the "hiccups" at idle seemed to occur less frequently, but the tick is still there.
I had a ticking sound as well and while it first alarmed me (I know I have scoring in one of my bores) I eventually realized that the rate of ticking and the frequency content of the noise were quite distinct from that of bore scoring. It turned out to be a few broken weld joints on some supports (guessing I broke those bottoming out on a speed bump I didn't see coming). Anyway, someone here suggested taking a rubber mallet to the exhaust system (when cold obviously) to see if anything rattled. That's how I found my issue. Took the car to an exhaust shop and $20 later the joints were re-welded and the noise was gone.

Worth a look . . .

I'm adding the pic of my scored bore, you'll see the difference when you compare it to your pics. Mine is still early stage but it has progressed beyond streaking. 06 C4S w/ 59k miles,

Old 03-07-2023, 10:51 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Charles,

According to FSI, the 2.7 liter Cayman/Boxter base engine is not susceptible to scoring, while the 3.4 liter S is susceptible.

Cylinder Bore (Scoring) – Flat Six Innovations – Porsche Engine Experts (flat6innovations.com)

Is that due to cylinder wall thickness in combination with less side loads between piston to bore, or is there something in the material sense.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2023, 11:00 AM
BamaPCar
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Wait to get the UOA back from SpeeDiagnostix ...... and it should corroborate what you are seeing visually with the borescope
This is what I'm thinking too. For some reason I was getting a progressively pretty rough idle this morning as the engine was warming up. I'd occasionally hear a faint & sporadic sound as it was warming up too....sounded something like between a "tap" and a "puff". However, it still runs smooth as silk as always when above 2K rpm.

I did run up to 6500-ish rpm a few times after driving 25 mins and the rough idle went from moderate to minor afterwards. Still puzzling though.

One other thing.....@Petza914 I know you've dropped the sump on these cars plenty of times. Is it normal for you need to top off periodically after refilling with oil after dropping the sump? My oil level has gone from right at the full mark after refilling to at the minimum mark....so I had to top off about .75-1 qt.

Last edited by BamaPCar; 03-07-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:05 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Charles,

According to FSI, the 2.7 liter Cayman/Boxter base engine is not susceptible to scoring, while the 3.4 liter S is susceptible.

Cylinder Bore (Scoring) – Flat Six Innovations – Porsche Engine Experts (flat6innovations.com)

Is that due to cylinder wall thickness in combination with less side loads between piston to bore, or is there something in the material sense.

Thanks
It's the material composition of the piston. Porsche chose to use cast pistons in the 2.7L engine in the 987 Boxster/Cayman.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (03-08-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 01:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

This is what I'm thinking too. For some reason I was getting a progressively pretty rough idle this morning as the engine was warming up. I'd occasionally hear a faint & sporadic sound as it was warming up too....sounded something like between a "tap" and a "puff". However, it still runs smooth as silk as always when above 2K rpm.

I did run up to 6500-ish rpm a few times after driving 25 mins and the rough idle went from moderate to minor afterwards. Still puzzling though.

One other thing.....@Petza914 I know you've dropped the sump on these cars plenty of times. Is it normal for you need to top off periodically after refilling with oil after dropping the sump? My oil level has gone from right at the full mark after refilling to at the minimum mark....so I had to top off about .75-1 qt.
I haven't noticed that actually, but I also know my car with the MantisSport.deep sump takes exactly 10 quarts to be at the top mark the next morning, so the couple times I've refilled it after reinstalling the sump l, I've just put in the 10 quarts.

If you had the oil filter off and refilled the car before starting the engine and then drove it and checked it the next morning, you'd be a 1/2 quart or so low from the filter filling up.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:25 PM
BamaPCar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you had the oil filter off and refilled the car before starting the engine and then drove it and checked it the next morning, you'd be a 1/2 quart or so low from the filter filling up.
That likely was the culprit! When I filled with 8.5 quarts of Driven DT40 the oil level gauge fluctuated between full and overfill. Was trying to figure out a way to take some oil out without draining completely.

I generally fill the filter housing halfway too during oil changes, so I drained the filter housing. I guess the low oil this morning was from the filter housing getting refilled.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

According to Jake, you should not prefill the filter at all. The reason is that the oil in the filter becomes an impediment to the air before and after it moving through as quickly as possible to get oil into the motor. You get a little splash from what you put into the filter but it then takes a lot longer for the remaining air to evacuate and the steady oil supply to happen.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:17 PM
BamaPCar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
According to Jake, you should not prefill the filter at all. The reason is that the oil in the filter becomes an impediment to the air before and after it moving through as quickly as possible to get oil into the motor. You get a little splash from what you put into the filter but it then takes a lot longer for the remaining air to evacuate and the steady oil supply to happen.
Very good to know, thanks Pete! I had a 0.5-1 second mild grind/scrape sound this time when I first started the engine after refilling with oil. I sure hope the already-saturated filter didn't prevent oil from cycling for a split second and cause any damage! I guess I'll know with time.....
Old 03-07-2023, 02:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very good to know, thanks Pete! I had a 0.5-1 second mild grind/scrape sound this time when I first started the engine after refilling with oil. I sure hope the already-saturated filter didn't prevent oil from cycling for a split second and cause any damage! I guess I'll know with time.....
You'll be fine. That noise was probably timing chain scraping from a tensioner that's getting lazy or possibly the starter Bendix not retracting fast enough if the starter is old.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:25 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 618 Posts

I'm cleaning the sump plate and putting it back on. I thought I was in the clear until I took one last look at #6. Am I screwed? I feel sick.....

Here's #6 (2 photos), #5 (1 phots), and #4 (1 photo)

That's not streaking. I'd say that's very early stages of bore scoring, especially if this was found on bank 2.

I'd change to DT40 (or if your ambient air temps are high enough maybe even DT50 or FR50) and just monitor it. You'll want to make sure you check fuel trims, check for vacuum leaks, and anything else that might be contributing to this issue.

I've seen engines with scoring at this level go quite a long time assuming any other issues have been corrected and the oils mentioned above are used until it gets bad enough that you have to take it off the road. You'll know when it's bad when wear levels jump and oil consumption starts to rapidly increase, coupled with piston noise and sooty tail pipe.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:28 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
It's the material composition of the piston. Porsche chose to use cast pistons in the 2.7L engine in the 987 Boxster/Cayman.
The cast pistons are also iron plated where the forged pistons have a iron coating applied on the skirts (e.g. Ferro-print). The iron plating on the cast pistons is much more durable and the cast pistons expand less too.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (03-08-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 03:40 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts

I would be curious if you can please post your SpeeDiagnostix results when they come later.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:46 PM
BamaPCar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
That's not streaking. I'd say that's very early stages of bore scoring, especially if this was found on bank 2.

I'd change to DT40 (or if your ambient air temps are high enough maybe even DT50 or FR50) and just monitor it. You'll want to make sure you check fuel trims, check for vacuum leaks, and anything else that might be contributing to this issue.

I've seen engines with scoring at this level go quite a long time assuming any other issues have been corrected and the oils mentioned above are used until it gets bad enough that you have to take it off the road. You'll know when it's bad when wear levels jump and oil consumption starts to rapidly increase, coupled with piston noise and sooty tail pipe.
@Charles Navarro many thanks for sharing your assessment, Charles. Although I'd rather know the truth, it is a punch to the gut, of course! I drive the car about 6,000 miles/year. Any very wild guess at how much time it has left before a rebuild? Sounds like I sadly need to decide how long I can realistically keep the car before value plummets too far.

Unfortunately I can't justify a rebuild with Nickies if it still has some usable life & value left. Probably best for me to cash out now, and save up hoping I can (realistically) afford an air-cooled car several years down the road. I know the Nickies rebuild will be worth it to someone else though.

Originally Posted by silver_tt
I would be curious if you can please post your SpeeDiagnostix results when they come later.
Will definitely share with the group.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S Market Values - Early Bore Scored as-is vs. rebuild with Nickies, etc.