Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S Market Values - Early Bore Scored as-is vs. rebuild with Nickies, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023 | 04:42 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I would expect very little difference between the LM 2040 and Motul 8100 X-Cess. Both are A40 oils and must be formulated using the approved A40 recipe. The only variable is the viscosity and where in the acceptable range it lands. We all know M1 is formulated to the bottom of the viscosity range for optimal fuel economy.

DT40 doesn't have to conform to the A40 spec. The biggest difference would be the moly content in the DT40 as the A40 spec does not have much at all. DT40 also has a tad more ZDDP, but the moly is what matters for engines with Lokasil or Alusil bores. The only oil better than DT40 is DI40.
Thanks Charles. But he (like me in my 997.1 ) would use DT40 for his port injected motor, not DI40 which is for a direct injected motor? Is that correct?
Old 03-02-2023 | 04:44 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steveP911
Thanks Charles. But he (like me in my 997.1 ) would use DT40 for his port injected motor, not DI40 which is for a direct injected motor? Is that correct?
Yes, you can continue to use DT40 in your port injected engine.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023 | 07:20 PM
BamaPCar
Advanced

Guys - I'm starting to question everything. I've listened to other videos of cars with scored bores. The ticking sound my car makes sounds twice as fast as the cars with confirmed bore scoring.

Link is below. What do you think? It's definitely on the passenger side, but its a faster tick.

Old 03-02-2023 | 07:34 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

If it was my car I would just get it on a lift, drop the sump, and snake a borescope and light source up and inspect all six cylinders. This is not that difficult for a professional with experience on this platform and is 100% conclusive... and then you won't have to wonder.
ftc3 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-02-2023 | 10:25 PM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

i was in the same boat. had the car scoped over the summer and had some minor scoring in 5 and 6. no real oil consumption issues, no cel, no smoke. the 997 had become a 3rd car so i was ok not driving it too much. but it ate at me, every time i drove it hard, the back of my mind was always double guessing it. i sat in on the zoom calls with raby and LN. the new program really seemed strong. and i was so pumped to get a crazy motor, everything the car should have been, but we cant look back 15 years and say todays builds would be the way it should have been back then. yes the sleeve lining should have been the same as it is in the turbos/gt's.

but then i sat one night after rereading a post i made on this very same topic. going over my thoughts again and again, had anything changed? i realized that the 997 was a dream car for me, i loved having it, and as much as living that dream was everything i had expected, realistically it wasnt the best choice. everyone's situation is different, financially, practicality, ect. it came down to basic numbers for me. engine with raby 40K ( and no guarantee when i would get it, the 1st one they put out sold in 2 mins on the site), suspension refresh, exhaust/headers, rear wing ( i had the aerokit front ), interior trim refresh, PCCM+, seats, and a few other things i wanted to change, to really make it my own creation, was going to run north of 60-65K with out labor. throw in i just had to replace the water pump and coolant tank had crack, it just didnt make sense to me.

that same 60-65K, could get me into a lot of other things. i sold my 997 as is. came out a bit ahead of what was left on the loan, some of the money i had put aside for the motor, was a solid down payment, and bought a GT4. i probably would have chased down a 997 gts in stick but they keep value really well. the GT4 market started too cool down a bit ( but haven't seen many new 2016 listings in a few weeks since mid dec when i got mine ) and i got lucky on a low mileage cpo that wasnt trashed with the over revs.

do i miss the 997, hell yea, every time i see one i still stare. is the GT4 everything its cracked up to be...words cant explain how mental that thing is and daily driving one is an experience to its own. get the car scoped, sit on it a week or so, then reread your thoughts, the choice will come to you in time. no matter what you choose, remember, - Porsche - there is no substitute
jbl16 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023 | 10:34 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

That is not a bad move. The GT4 is possibly the best modern Porsche. SUMEbore, naturally aspirated, manual, mid-engine. And it is a monster. I don't love the newer cars but for the GT4 I can make an exception and I have also been thinking about picking one up at some point.......
Old 03-03-2023 | 09:42 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

I already panic sold a 996 (IMS fear mongering), not doing it again with the 997s. I use the correct oil (DT40), perform the correct warm up cycles, perform the correct maintenance, its all you can do.

IF it happens, its getting an Audi 2.7L swap or a Hartech rebuild for less than half the price of some of these rebuilds.

A 40k+ performance rebuild doesn't do it for me, if that is what you are after, all the more power to you however, its not for me.
Old 03-04-2023 | 10:27 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

It is not fear mongering, it is prudent risk management and staying well hedged. Said a different way, it is understanding the array of possible outcomes (you will have an IMS failure / you won't have an IMS failure ... you will have bore scoring / you won't have bore scoring) and being sure you can live with each if it is realized.

Swaps like an LS or Audi 2.7L make your car a Frankenstein and if nothing else will badly hurt its value. I have nothing but good things to say about Hartech and Lee Jenkins. I wasn't saying everyone needs to sell their 997 and run out and get a GT4 right now. Only acknowledging that it's a ridiculous car on multiple levels and if you are lucky you can pickup one with low mileage for around $80K. And it will eat almost any other car alive on a track, including performance rebuilds despite having no true Achilles heel like a Mezger.
Old 03-04-2023 | 11:15 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
It is not fear mongering, it is prudent risk management and staying well hedged. Said a different way, it is understanding the array of possible outcomes (you will have an IMS failure / you won't have an IMS failure ... you will have bore scoring / you won't have bore scoring) and being sure you can live with each if it is realized.

Swaps like an LS or Audi 2.7L make your car a Frankenstein and if nothing else will badly hurt its value. I have nothing but good things to say about Hartech and Lee Jenkins. I wasn't saying everyone needs to sell their 997 and run out and get a GT4 right now. Only acknowledging that it's a ridiculous car on multiple levels and if you are lucky you can pickup one with low mileage for around $80K. And it will eat almost any other car alive on a track, including performance rebuilds despite having no true Achilles heel like a Mezger.
Unfortunately what kills resale prices is not having rebuild options that cost less than half the cars worth with a long build time.

My statement was a general statement, not directed towards you. The GT4 is an excellent car, no doubt about it. You looked at all the options and decided the best fit for you was to part ways with the 997. If that rebuild was in the 20K or 30K range you may have considered keeping the 997.

The Audi 2.7L swap is pretty much plug and play as far as swaps are concerned. I have no interest in an LS swap.
Old 03-04-2023 | 12:31 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I have an 06 S with 105k miles. The car is in fantastic shape and run awesome. I recently drove from Portland OR to San Francisco with my daughter and averaged 80mph, 25 mpg and checked the oil level the next morning and it didn't look like any loss.
I've had the car since 2009 and have contemplated what I would do when the time comes. I think I would rebuild it. What could I get that would give me as much joy as the car for that amount of money?

Old 03-04-2023 | 09:54 PM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I have an 06 S with 105k miles. The car is in fantastic shape and run awesome. I recently drove from Portland OR to San Francisco with my daughter and averaged 80mph, 25 mpg and checked the oil level the next morning and it didn't look like any loss.
I've had the car since 2009 and have contemplated what I would do when the time comes. I think I would rebuild it. What could I get that would give me as much joy as the car for that amount of money?
grats on passing the 100k mark.
Old 03-04-2023 | 10:07 PM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
I already panic sold a 996 (IMS fear mongering), not doing it again with the 997s. I use the correct oil (DT40), perform the correct warm up cycles, perform the correct maintenance, its all you can do.

IF it happens, its getting an Audi 2.7L swap or a Hartech rebuild for less than half the price of some of these rebuilds.

A 40k+ performance rebuild doesn't do it for me, if that is what you are after, all the more power to you however, its not for me.

if it was just the rebuild, i probably could have swallowed that pill, as i really did like that car. it was the added costs of finishing setting up the car, and the unknown time line of when i would actually get a rebuild that pushed me to sell. yes for the same money as the rebuild, there is not much will have as much fun for the money, tied with the love of the 997 platform.

im not telling people to run and buy a gt4 either ( but if you can swing it, omfg its mental ). i looked at a bunch of options, and just happened to be in the right place at the right time. i know i overpaid a few $K, but a clean low miles, fresh cpo with only 11 ignitions in range 2 for under 95K. i had a deposit on it before the deal uploaded pics to the web.

Graufuchs (03-05-2023)
Old 03-04-2023 | 10:59 PM
BamaPCar
Advanced

I'm cleaning the sump plate and putting it back on. I thought I was in the clear until I took one last look at #6. Am I screwed? I feel sick.....

Here's #6 (2 photos), #5 (1 phots), and #4 (1 photo)

Last edited by BamaPCar; 03-04-2023 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2023 | 11:06 PM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

looks better than mine did, but let the pro's chime in for peace of mind
Old 03-05-2023 | 09:32 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cyruz
if it was just the rebuild, i probably could have swallowed that pill, as i really did like that car. it was the added costs of finishing setting up the car, and the unknown time line of when i would actually get a rebuild that pushed me to sell. yes for the same money as the rebuild, there is not much will have as much fun for the money, tied with the love of the 997 platform.

im not telling people to run and buy a gt4 either ( but if you can swing it, omfg its mental ). i looked at a bunch of options, and just happened to be in the right place at the right time. i know i overpaid a few $K, but a clean low miles, fresh cpo with only 11 ignitions in range 2 for under 95K. i had a deposit on it before the deal uploaded pics to the web.
I doubt you overpaid. $80K was sort of a best case number if you are lucky -- not CPO, and probably higher mileage than what you got. I bought my last car CPO and honestly I barely ever got to use it on anything warranty/repairs before it expired but when I wrote the check for the car to the dealer it gave me the peace of mind that if it was being CPO'd it had been taken care of and nothing was being hidden. I read too much stuff on forums that people do to their cars that scares me and I have been scammed on car purchases even knowing exactly what to look for and buying from "reputable" people like the famous athlete I bought my Turbo from who is a complete dirtbag. Basically what you did buying a CPO GT4 is probably what I will end up doing.

Originally Posted by BamaPCar
I'm cleaning the sump plate and putting it back on. I thought I was in the clear until I took one last look at #6. Am I screwed? I feel sick.....

Here's #6 (2 photos), #5 (1 phots), and #4 (1 photo) A link to a video of #6 is here too
I don't see any scoring, only what appears to be some light streaking on 6. Certainly you should not feel sick!
TerrestrialFlyte (03-05-2023)

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S Market Values - Early Bore Scored as-is vs. rebuild with Nickies, etc.