Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valuation of rebuilt title 997

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 08:40 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

I’ve seen quite a few 997.1 S cars with close to the same mileage for upper 50s on BAT. The BIG question is how much of a deterrent is the salvage title history going to be for someone. Especially a Porsche enthusiast. It’s extremely hard to say. I just saw a rebuilt title 06 997s on FB marketplace with about the same mileage as mine for $45k. Will be interested to see what it actually sells for. Do I think it’s worth $45k? Not necessarily, but I would like to think high 30s to extremely low 40s. But I would not be surprised if it just sits on the market either. I really enjoy rebuilding Porsches, and it would be a great side gig if I knew exactly how much I could potentially get out of each car after completion by discounting it a certain percentage of clean retail.

Originally Posted by kellen
As others have said you did a great job. I think keeping all the pics and receipts for documentation will help you get maximum dollar.

I would say a non salvage S with 29k miles would be mid/low 40s to mid low 50s depending on options, condition, maintenance and how fast you want to sell it.

I would probably say 15-30% off that price depending on buyer and above things.

I think the longer you keep it and document that is issue free the less it matters on price vs trying to sell it right after repairing it.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:43 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

and YES it’s a manual
Originally Posted by groovzilla
Very nice repair job - Really hard to tell how paint job was done unless see it/eyes in person but overall that was a hell of a challenge to repair and hats off to you .
Is it Manual Transmission? I ask because it will retain more value if it's Manual.
Also, from the history of Porsche generation as they age, I would say if it's a Manual Transmission, the longer you hold onto it the harder it will be to find one and less value it will lose over time even with the Salvage/Rebuilt Title.
In general, as Porsche's get older and harder to find, buyers don't put as much emphasis on prior damage. As an example, 356/early 911's with prior damage were passed on. Now they are Jewels.

Also, there really isn't any difference from a buyers perspective whether it is "Salvage" or "Rebuilt" Title - Both have had substantial damage in buyers eye.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:10 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Salvage Porsche cars are definitely much harder to sell than other salvage cars. Lots of insurance companies won’t offer full coverage on them. Porsche buyers are not happy with any salvage branded title. I would deduct 20 to 25 percent from book value to get a realistic value. Once most buyers hear salvage, it’s a difficult sell.

You will more than likely get your money and more back, and realistically it’s not damaged bad at all.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:25 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

fortunately, I have Erie insurance and they didn’t have any issues writing a full coverage policy on it.

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Salvage Porsche cars are definitely much harder to sell than other salvage cars. Lots of insurance companies won’t offer full coverage on them. Porsche buyers are not happy with any salvage branded title. I would deduct 20 to 25 percent from book value to get a realistic value. Once most buyers hear salvage, it’s a difficult sell.

You will more than likely get your money and more back, and realistically it’s not damaged bad at all.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:49 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

I would estimate the car has a market value of $40-$42K today. Maybe a little less if the market sinks a little
Like others mentioned Porsche buyers don't like Salvage or Rebuilt Titles. Also cannot get financing on Salvage or Rebuilt Titles.
Hopefully you don't have more than mid $30k's into it

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-12-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:43 AM
othertbone
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
As others have said you did a great job. I think keeping all the pics and receipts for documentation will help you get maximum dollar.

I would say a non salvage S with 29k miles would be mid/low 40s to mid low 50s depending on options, condition, maintenance and how fast you want to sell it.

I would probably say 15-30% off that price depending on buyer and above things.

I think the longer you keep it and document that is issue free the less it matters on price vs trying to sell it right after repairing it.

Maybe for an automatic base
Old 02-13-2023, 08:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Salvage title 997 is worth $10-$12k less than a clean title one - that puts it around $30k at the top end. My Agreed Value carrier won't even insure a salvage title car.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:25 AM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

so, you are only valuing a clean title 29k mile S 6 speed with a bunch of desirable options with a super strong DME report at $42,000? What i am seeing with that mileage is $55k++. Salvage and Rebuilt title are 2 different things. Salvage title in most states means that it cannot be legally driven on public roadways. Rebuilt title in TN atleast means that it was a previously salvaged title car that has been repaired and has met all safety regulations and is legally able to be driven just like a clean title car.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Salvage title 997 is worth $10-$12k less than a clean title one - that puts it around $30k at the top end. My Agreed Value carrier won't even insure a salvage title car.

Last edited by scottrx7tt1; 02-13-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scottrx7tt1
so, you are only valuing a clean title 29k mile S 6 speed with a bunch of desirable options with a super strong DME report at $42,000? What i am seeing with that mileage is $55k++. Salvage and Rebuilt title are 2 different things. Salvage title in most states means that it cannot be legally driven on public roadways. Rebuilt title in TN atleast means that it was a previously salvaged title car that has been repaired and has met all safety regulations and is legally able to be driven just like a clean title car.
Correct. The Covid pricing craze has subsided a bit. Manual Turbos aren't $130k anymore, most 997.1s aren't mid-$50s anymore. Pricing is somewhere between what it was pre-covid and what it was during covid, which puts a 997.1 C2S manual into the mid-$40s. The low mileage might make that one a high-$40s, and although it looks very nice currently, it was still melted and doesn't have a clean title. It's not a car I'd even look at if I was in the market once seeing the engine bay - one, because I can't insure it, and two, because it was melted and I'd always have in the back of my mind what issues have yet to surface from the original damage. Cars like these should be bought to be fixed and kept or turned into track cars. Trying to purchase a salvage title 997 and make money on it is a tough proposition because the buyers are so finicky. You can't use BAT values for clean title cars to determine what a repaired one is worth - the commentary over there on something like this once it gets listed would be entertaining, but not positive, and that would certainly effect the bidding outcome.

That's just my opinion though, maybe I'm wrong. I do like the TT rear decklid and wing though - did that on my wife's C2S as well. What kind of exahust is on it as I see the flap valves, but it's not a factory PSE because the tips don't have dual inlets?
Old 02-13-2023, 10:51 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Correct. The Covid pricing craze has subsided a bit. Manual Turbos aren't $130k anymore, most 997.1s aren't mid-$50s anymore. Pricing is somewhere between what it was pre-covid and what it was during covid, which puts a 997.1 C2S manual into the mid-$40s. The low mileage might make that one a high-$40s, and although it looks very nice currently, it was still melted and doesn't have a clean title. It's not a car I'd even look at if I was in the market once seeing the engine bay - one, because I can't insure it, and two, because it was melted and I'd always have in the back of my mind what issues have yet to surface from the original damage. Cars like these should be bought to be fixed and kept or turned into track cars. Trying to purchase a salvage title 997 and make money on it is a tough proposition because the buyers are so finicky. You can't use BAT values for clean title cars to determine what a repaired one is worth - the commentary over there on something like this once it gets listed would be entertaining, but not positive, and that would certainly effect the bidding outcome.
Agree.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:02 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

I definitely dont disagree with you on a lot of your points. I did buy this car to keep, not sell. I don't quite think that the prices have dipped that much yet, but will probably soon nonetheless. When taking on this project i did realize that most Porsche enthusiasts are quite picky and would never consider a rebuilt title car. I am like you, i have multiple Porsches in my garage and have been a Porsche enthusiast for years. I am probably not your typical Porsche owner though by any stretch of the imagination. LOL The Porsche dealer does not ever see me unless its some type of warranty work, or a recall. I wrench on everything myself and perform regular maintenance. The only thing i cannot do in my garage is install tires and alignments.
This is a project i really enjoyed doing , and if i even broke even when selling, i would be completely happy. The thought for me is BAT is about the best way to determine what people are willing to pay for a clean title car, usually in good condition. Obviously, i would never expect for a rebuilt title car to command as much as a clean title one, but that is still the best gauge to determine value by figuring out what type of discount would normally apply(impossible i know). Nor would i ever list this car on BAT.
There is no telling where prices will be in the future on these. but i guess it does not really matter if i keep it forever and just drive it. The positive side is, i can put as many miles on it without really having to worry much about it effecting my value, which maybe is the reason why this car only had 29k miles on it when it took possession of it. It now has 34k miles on it with not one check engine light to speak of since putting it back on the road.
I do believe if i do ever decide to get rid of it, the best option may be to trade vehicles with another private owner. I have always wanted another FD Rx7, or a 68-72 corvette, so maybe one day that will happen..
Thanks for your insight on this topic. This is what i was looking for.
BTW the exhaust is a Fabspeed which was on it when i bought it. It sounds good. I didnt even hook the vacuum lines back up, because id just rather have the valves open at all times.

That's just my opinion though, maybe I'm wrong. I do like the TT rear decklid and wing though - did that on my wife's C2S as well. What kind of exahust is on it as I see the flap valves, but it's not a factory PSE because the tips don't have dual inlets?
Old 02-13-2023, 01:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I definitely dont disagree with you on a lot of your points. I did buy this car to keep, not sell. I don't quite think that the prices have dipped that much yet, but will probably soon nonetheless. When taking on this project i did realize that most Porsche enthusiasts are quite picky and would never consider a rebuilt title car. I am like you, i have multiple Porsches in my garage and have been a Porsche enthusiast for years. I am probably not your typical Porsche owner though by any stretch of the imagination. LOL The Porsche dealer does not ever see me unless its some type of warranty work, or a recall. I wrench on everything myself and perform regular maintenance. The only thing i cannot do in my garage is install tires and alignments.
This is a project i really enjoyed doing , and if i even broke even when selling, i would be completely happy. The thought for me is BAT is about the best way to determine what people are willing to pay for a clean title car, usually in good condition. Obviously, i would never expect for a rebuilt title car to command as much as a clean title one, but that is still the best gauge to determine value by figuring out what type of discount would normally apply(impossible i know). Nor would i ever list this car on BAT.
There is no telling where prices will be in the future on these. but i guess it does not really matter if i keep it forever and just drive it. The positive side is, i can put as many miles on it without really having to worry much about it effecting my value, which maybe is the reason why this car only had 29k miles on it when it took possession of it. It now has 34k miles on it with not one check engine light to speak of since putting it back on the road.
I do believe if i do ever decide to get rid of it, the best option may be to trade vehicles with another private owner. I have always wanted another FD Rx7, or a 68-72 corvette, so maybe one day that will happen..
BTW the exhaust is a Fabspeed which was on it when i bought it. It sounds good. I didnt even hook the vacuum lines back up, because id just rather have the valves open at all times.
I disagree - BAT buyers usually pay way over market price. Also if your car was put on BAT for auction, it would be ripped apart/slammed in the comment section because of it's prior damage.
A bunch of us here play a BAT 997 guessing game over the last 5 years. We have great insight on the 997 Market and buyers/sellers input/comments on the 997's that have sold.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:28 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

You are absolutely correct. And I strongly suggest keeping it.
Back when 997 prices were in the low $30K's, I owned several 997 C4S/997S and wanted to try different models.
I came back and stuck to my 2006 C4. Mine has 107K miles and looks/ feels/drives like it's almost new These are great cars and with your manual transmission, a hard one to replace.
Keep it/drive it/enjoy it!

Old 02-13-2023, 01:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You're like me, doing all your own work 👍

That Fabspeed exhaust with the valves is super rare...they haven't made it in a decade. I have the only other one I've ever seen. Gives you PSE functionality but uses any regular tips you want.

Great news about no CELs...means you fixed it right.

Keep it.
Old 02-13-2023, 05:08 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

“Rebuilt title in TN atleast means that it was a previously salvaged title car that has been repaired and has met all safety regulations and is legally able to be driven just like a clean title car”.

I am under the impression that there is no actual inspection of the car in Tennessee, but just pictures of before and after, along with receipts. Most salvage inspections are nothing to do with safety or workmanship, but lean towards finding stolen parts.

Selling a car with a rebuilt salvage title narrows the buyer field, selling a Porsche 997 with a rebuilt salvage title narrows it down lots more. Not trying to be difficult, just realistic. I own 8 salvage title cars, and they are all nice, but difficult to sell, people are scared of them.

Quick Reply: Valuation of rebuilt title 997