Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valuation of rebuilt title 997

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023 | 03:12 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Default Valuation of rebuilt title 997

So, I purchased a 07 997 Carrera S from the insurance auction last year. The car was a 29k mile car with no collision history. Spent its whole life locally, serviced at my local Porsche dealer. The damage was from another car catching fire in a parking spot behind it. I would not call it fire damage, because it technically never caught fire. All of the damage was heat related. It melted the rear bumper cover, tail lights rear decklid wing, airbox, and coolant overflow tank. It also melted the wires together on the o2 sensor harness, along with the trunk lid actuator and license plate wiring. It never lost any coolant, nor did it melt or rupture any of the fuel lines. Believe it or not, it would still start and run in its unfixed state. I started working on it immediately. It only took a few hours to get it completely stripped down, and started sanding and prepping for paint on the rear structure where the paint was melted from the heat. Luckily the exhaust heat shielding saved a lot of components from damage. I made a tally of all of the parts that needed to be ordered and scoured the internet for all of the parts needed. I sourced most of the needed parts used on eBay, and rest of the odds and ends from Porsche. I decided that I was going to repair the rear body harness, so I sourced all of the factory style quick connectors for the o2 sensors, rear decklid actuator and license plate lights. I had also found a little damage to the throttle body electrical connector wiring, so I repaired and replaced that also. It took me about 3 weeks to wait on all of the parts to trickle in, but was able to get it all assembled and ready for paint in no time. I ended up using a mobile painter that usually does dealer touch ups, but he did an awesome job on the parts. He ended up blending the paint on both rear quarters, and it all turned out almost flawless after I wet sanded the newly painted areas and buffed the paint.
the car is in near perfect condition again. Obviously, I converted the title from salvage to rebuilt in the state of TN, which was not hard to do. With all of this being said, I was wondering what kind of value this car would have with the salvage title history? I don’t plan to sell any time soon, but interested in others opinions of value.

Old 02-12-2023 | 03:13 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Old 02-12-2023 | 03:17 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Old 02-12-2023 | 03:18 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023 | 03:39 PM
yelcab
Drifting

You did a great job.
Old 02-12-2023 | 03:47 PM
jbl16
Racer

Excellent work
Old 02-12-2023 | 04:18 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As others have said you did a great job. I think keeping all the pics and receipts for documentation will help you get maximum dollar.

I would say a non salvage S with 29k miles would be mid/low 40s to mid low 50s depending on options, condition, maintenance and how fast you want to sell it.

I would probably say 15-30% off that price depending on buyer and above things.

I think the longer you keep it and document that is issue free the less it matters on price vs trying to sell it right after repairing it.
Old 02-12-2023 | 04:26 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Way to bring that one back from the brink. Nicely done.
Old 02-12-2023 | 05:17 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Great job! Interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for it on our E. TN roads.
Old 02-12-2023 | 05:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Very nice repair job - Really hard to tell how paint job was done unless see it/eyes in person but overall that was a hell of a challenge to repair and hats off to you .
Is it Manual Transmission? I ask because it will retain more value if it's Manual.
Also, from the history of Porsche generation as they age, I would say if it's a Manual Transmission, the longer you hold onto it the harder it will be to find one and less value it will lose over time even with the Salvage/Rebuilt Title.
In general, as Porsche's get older and harder to find, buyers don't put as much emphasis on prior damage. As an example, 356/early 911's with prior damage were passed on. Now they are Jewels.

Also, there really isn't any difference from a buyers perspective whether it is "Salvage" or "Rebuilt" Title - Both have had substantial damage in buyers eye.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-12-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2023 | 05:56 PM
NevilleNobody
Rennlist Member

Keep it, drive it and smile at how it looks.
Old 02-12-2023 | 07:52 PM
IX1199VII
Rennlist Member

WOW!!
Excellent work!
I would keep her, she's gorgeous.
Old 02-12-2023 | 08:12 PM
nydog
Instructor

Great work. Good luck with the sale if you list it
Old 02-12-2023 | 08:27 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Very nice repair job - Really hard to tell how paint job was done unless see it/eyes in person but overall that was a hell of a challenge to repair and hats off to you .
Is it Manual Transmission? I ask because it will retain more value if it's Manual.
Also, from the history of Porsche generation as they age, I would say if it's a Manual Transmission, the longer you hold onto it the harder it will be to find one and less value it will lose over time even with the Salvage/Rebuilt Title.
In general, as Porsche's get older and harder to find, buyers don't put as much emphasis on prior damage. As an example, 356/early 911's with prior damage were passed on. Now they are Jewels.

Also, there really isn't any difference from a buyers perspective whether it is "Salvage" or "Rebuilt" Title - Both have had substantial damage in buyers eye.
here is the options list and DME report. I am extremely picky with paint quality, and I nailed it when I wet sanded and buffed the car to ensure that the paint quality and factory orange peel in the paint matched. The clearcoat blend at the c pillar is undetectable. Apparently I bounced it off the rev limiter last time I drove it…

Old 02-12-2023 | 08:30 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Originally Posted by IX1199VII
WOW!!
Excellent work!
I would keep her, she's gorgeous.
Thank you! I have no plans to sell anytime soon. The the car is showroom condition. I’ve been to a few cars and coffee meets and have noticed that any 997 I’ve seen so far has not been on par with mine.

Quick Reply: Valuation of rebuilt title 997