Sponsored by:

997.1 C4 vs C2

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 08:33 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts
Default 997.1 C4 vs C2

I’ve been shopping for a base 911 for a while. A really clean C4 just popped up and I’ve steered away from C4’s so far.

What are the differences in handling between the C2/C4? Is the front end going to plow like most AWD cars?

Next, what are the maintenance differences? This car has had the manual transmission replaced under warranty which was a pricey job (I’m guessing because of the AWD transmission). Are the transmissions more problematic than the standard C2?

-s

Last edited by spessx; 02-11-2023 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by spessx
I’ve been shopping for a base 911 for a while. A really clean C4 just popped up and I’ve steered away from C4’s so far.
What are the differences in handling between the C2/C4? Is the front end going to plow like most AWD cars?
Next, what are the maintenance differences? This car has had the manual transmission replaced under warranty which was a pricey job (I’m guessing because of the AWD transmission). Are the transmissions more problematic than the standard C2?
-s
I have owned 3 C4S 2C2S & 1 C4 Cabriolet and my current C4 coupe I love the look of the widebody
I love my C4 Coupe. Handles very well and no heaviness - Feels very much like 2WD and if anything I find it pulls through aggressive corners much better than 2WD.
As far as the Front Differential, just make sure and change the front Diff fluid every 40K miles and use OEM fluid. I never had any issues with my front Diff in any of my cars.
Manual Transmission is the only way to go.

Make sure you get full PPI w/DME readout & Bore Scope Inspection. Bring results here and we can check them out - Get 3 photos of each cylinder when you Bore Scope Inspect and make sure they provide you with clear focused photos.
I prefer the Base due to Bore Scoring being seen more in the "S" 3.8L. And my personal opinion is that there is really no noticeable difference in the slightly more HP and slightly larger brakes compared to the S model
And I prefer the black Gauge Faces.

How many miles? Colors? Cold climate car?
Ask away w/future questions!

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-11-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:03 PM
spessx
Racer

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I have owned 3 C4S 2C2S & 1 C4 Cabriolet and my current C4 coupe I love the look of the widebody
I love my C4 Coupe. Handles very well and no heaviness - Feels very much like 2WD and if anything I find it pulls through aggressive corners much better than 2WD.
As far as the Front Differential, just make sure and change the front Diff fluid every 40K miles and use OEM fluid. I never had any issues with my front Diff in any of my cars.

Make sure you get full PPI w/DME readout & Bore Scope Inspection. Bring results here and we can check them out - Get 3 photos of each cylinder when you Bore Scope Inspect and make sure they provide you with clear focused photos.
I prefer the Base due to Bore Scoring being seen more in the "S" 3.8L. And my personal opinion is that there is really no noticeable difference in the slightly more HP and slightly larger brakes compared to the S model

Ha - same on all points regarding the base cars. This is a 3.6 that has been in Texas all of its life so I’m hoping that risk of scoring is low. Plus, I like the base suspension better for our local roads.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (02-11-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 12:21 AM
spessx
Racer

Oh, its got 48k mikes and has been a hot climate car its entire life.

Are the C4 manual transmissions more prone to failure? Are the C4’s noticeably slower?
Old 02-12-2023, 08:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

C2 is narrow body rear vs c4 widebody rear. C2 has better steering feel and can have more playful handling once you get the hang of throttle steering a rear engine car. C4 will have more understeer but easier to save if you go too far and better in the snow. C4 will have additional maintenance for the front drive system and a little less frunk space.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:55 AM
PCarFan16
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

C4 steering feel is markedly blunted (and not very Porsche like) compared to C2. RWD with a performance alignment feels much better than the C4 steering IMHO. The understeer in a C4 is also pretty noticeable. If you prefer wide body looks, a .1 C4/C4S can easily be converted to RWD.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:58 AM
spessx
Racer

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
C4 steering feel is markedly blunted (and not very Porsche like) compared to C2. RWD with a performance alignment feels much better than the C4 steering IMHO. The understeer in a C4 is also pretty noticeable. If you prefer wide body looks, a .1 C4/C4S can easily be converted to RWD.
Thank you for the response. Is converting to C2 as simple as removing the front axles? Any links to someone who has converted?
Old 02-12-2023, 12:02 PM
PCarFan16
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m not especially mechanically inclined but I did it last winter. Remove front differential, remove front output shaft (driveshaft), remove front axles and install GT3 stub axles (or disassemble axles and use the disassembled stub axle). Highly recommended! Removes 70lbs of weight, transforms steering and reduces understeer with no perceptible impact on traction.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I totally disagree with this statement. I notice hardly any difference and if anything a better "grab" w/C4 when taking aggressive corners

Old 02-12-2023, 02:10 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 211 Likes on 93 Posts

I totally disagree with this statement. I notice hardly any difference and if anything a better "grab" w/C4 when taking aggressive corners
I second this statement. The only time I feel the front is when full lock under 5mph on gravel. This is my first awd car also coming from all RWD.
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 02-12-2023, 02:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
I second this statement. The only time I feel the front is when full lock under 5mph on gravel. This is my first awd car also coming from all RWD.
Also looks of C4 W/wider body so nice. Especially lowered a teeny bit (1") with H&R Springs or similar.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

"Not very Porsche-like"? ------->The true Porsche feel/smell/taste was lost after the Air Cooled generation was gone.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Anytime you ask the front wheels to do double duty with both steering forces and driving forces going through them, you create eindersteer, especially at the limit. Once your maxed out cornering grip and then add acceleration requirements, you overcome the friction that keeps the front planted and it starts to slip and push. It does make it easier to get the car thought the turn with all the tires trying to help drive it that way, but it definitely has a different feel than a RWD car.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Anytime you ask the front wheels to do double duty with both steering forces and driving forces going through them, you create eindersteer, especially at the limit. Once your maxed out cornering grip and then add acceleration requirements, you overcome the friction that keeps the front planted and it starts to slip and push. It does make it easier to get the car thought the turn with all the tires trying to help drive it that way, but it definitely has a different feel than a RWD car.
I mean no disrespect but have you driven both C2 & C4?
As you are aware I have owned a few of each and notice absolutely no difference.
If anything I notice more "grab" on my C4's when driving mountain road curves

Old 02-12-2023, 03:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I mean no disrespect but have you driven both C2 & C4?
As you are aware I have owned a few of each and notice absolutely no difference.
If anything I notice more "grab" on my C4's when driving mountain road curves
Yes, including some turbos which are also AWD as you know. Also driven Audi quattros and Mitsu 3000GT VR4s, but those are a slightly different animals because the engine is in the front.

It may not be as noticeable in regular street cars but when you equip a 997 with lightweight forged wheels and lightweight PCCBs eliminating a lot of unsprung weight, it makes the difference between RWD and AWD even more noticeable.

Last edited by Petza914; 02-12-2023 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (02-12-2023)

Quick Reply: 997.1 C4 vs C2