Sponsored by:

Center Lock Wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 05:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Should be called a PCCB Conversion Kit as it provides rotors the same size as the PCCB ones and iron rotor compatible pads. So uses the PCCB calipers with new iron rotors and pads which is what's shown in the photo. With PCCBs the rear caliper are 4 piston and the fronts the larger 6 piston.
Thanks for clarifying Pete. What's the benefit of what sounds like something of a compromised mix and match solution?
Old 01-18-2023, 08:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Thanks for clarifying Pete. What's the benefit of what sounds like something of a compromised mix and match solution?
Benefit is not to destroy the very expensive PCCB rotors if tracking the car. A new replacement rotor from Porsche is almost $10,000 and ironically, these brakes that were designed to be fantastic on the track are, but don't last very long and are ridiculously expensive to replace. Second consideration is that they're easily damaged by ham-fisted repair shops if you're not very careful about sliding the wheel away from the car on 2 of the guide pins. If the wheel drops and contacts the rotor, it will chip the edge.

So people buy these kits if they'll be tracking the car so they can use and destroy much cheaper steel rotors. Rennline sells a caliper stud mounting kit for these folks so they're not constantly unscrewing and retorquing caliper bolts into the aluminum uprights and can just slide the calipers on and off the studs.

Or, they're bought by someone who has work out or damaged the original brakes and wants a more economical solution to keep the car on the road.

It's a better setup than the stock iron brakes because you get 6 piston front calipers instead of 4 and they offer a 2-piece Girodisc rotor option so you can have reduced unsprung weight vs a normal 1-piece rotor.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:16 AM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Benefit is not to destroy the very expensive PCCB rotors if tracking the car. A new replacement rotor from Porsche is almost $10,000 and ironically, these brakes that were designed to be fantastic on the track are, but don't last very long and are ridiculously expensive to replace. Second consideration is that they're easily damaged by ham-fisted repair shops if you're not very careful about sliding the wheel away from the car on 2 of the guide pins. If the wheel drops and contacts the rotor, it will chip the edge.

So people buy these kits if they'll be tracking the car so they can use and destroy much cheaper steel rotors. Rennline sells a caliper stud mounting kit for these folks so they're not constantly unscrewing and retorquing caliper bolts into the aluminum uprights and can just slide the calipers on and off the studs.

Or, they're bought by someone who has work out or damaged the original brakes and wants a more economical solution to keep the car on the road.

It's a better setup than the stock iron brakes because you get 6 piston front calipers instead of 4 and they offer a 2-piece Girodisc rotor option so you can have reduced unsprung weight vs a normal 1-piece rotor.
As mentioned above, the PCCB-to-iron conversion kits are just that. Those iron discs use the same diameter as the stock PCCB discs, with the sweep of a normal iron disc (in most cases). While OE PCCB discs are very costly, another option is the Surface Transforms carbon discs. A full car set is under $14K, and these discs last 3-5x longer than OE PCCB discs and were designed to hold up to the rigors of track duty. They outperform OE PCCB by every metric, are refurbishable, and are half the cost. You also get to run the Pagid RSC1 which is the best dual-use pad on the market. A fantastic street pad (no dust/noise) that performs very well on track. Happy to discuss all options for anyone trying to sort out what the best solution is for them.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 05:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Thanks Pete. Maybe I misread what was posted by someone previously but I got the impression that you can use PCCB calipers with steel rotors or use steel calipers with PCCB rotors. Whichever combination works best and brings the most bang for the bucks. Where did I get it wrong? I thought PCCB rotors went with PCCB calipers and there's no mixing either one up with the steel options.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:54 AM
user 6290283
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use the PCCB calipers with steel rotors - they are just calipers after all. but you need to use pads designed for those rotors. I cant imagine a scenario where you would use the steel rotors with the PCCB's - but again if you have steel rotors that fit, as long as you use the pads designed for the PCCB's it would work as normal.

For my part, when I get a little time I am going to put the PCCB's back on my car to see how they compare to the Steel 350mm rotors that were supplied with the PCCB 'delete' kit - which by the way, work very well.

The following 2 users liked this post by user 6290283:
Liste-Renn (01-20-2023), Petza914 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:20 AM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks Pete. Maybe I misread what was posted by someone previously but I got the impression that you can use PCCB calipers with steel rotors or use steel calipers with PCCB rotors. Whichever combination works best and brings the most bang for the bucks. Where did I get it wrong? I thought PCCB rotors went with PCCB calipers and there's no mixing either one up with the steel options.
Originally Posted by JimInSLO
You can use the PCCB calipers with steel rotors - they are just calipers after all. but you need to use pads designed for those rotors. I cant imagine a scenario where you would use the steel rotors with the PCCB's - but again if you have steel rotors that fit, as long as you use the pads designed for the PCCB's it would work as normal.

For my part, when I get a little time I am going to put the PCCB's back on my car to see how they compare to the Steel 350mm rotors that were supplied with the PCCB 'delete' kit - which by the way, work very well.
With the GT cars, it's easy, since in most (if not all) cases the iron and PCCB calipers can accept the same pad shapes as they are effectively the same caliper/casting. The 997 Turbo/GT2/3/RS models were even more similar in that the sweep of both the PCCB and the iron discs is the same. So the pad shapes used in both applications are the same. Same shapes, but different compounds. Thus, if you are running iron discs you need to run an iron-compatible pad, i.e. Ferodo, PFC, Pagid, OE Iron, etc... If you are running PCCB discs, you need to run OE PCCB pads, Pagid RSC, etc...hope that helps.

Forgot to mention, if you are doing aftermarket 2-piece iron discs from Girodisc, PFC, AP etc, the pad used will normally be pointed out in the listing if different than stock, so pay attention to that as they may use a different disc sweep requiring a different pad shape. This is most common when the kit upgrades the rotor size from stock.

Last edited by Hinz Motorsport; 01-20-2023 at 11:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
Liste-Renn (01-20-2023), Petza914 (01-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Center Lock Wheel help