997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOUND MY FIRST PORSCHE

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022 | 09:13 PM
rodsdream
Advanced

Saw the car today!!! Paint was awesome the interior and rubbers almost flawless. The car had not been detailed yet for sale as the coolant pump has a small leak and apparently a TSB as well , so they are waiting until everything is fixed . They allowed me to drive it around their plot. I drove it around until the temperature came up to just over 150 deg. then parked it. I did not go over 10 mph. I checked under the body panels, wheel wells, suspension parts visible from the sides thru wheels engine compartment etc. No signs of corrosion or rust on anything. I WAS SHOCKED. Wanted to negotiate to hold it with a deposit pending PPI by an expert but, they said per the GM the car was too old to take a deposit which made no sense. Through the salesperson the GM said it was going to take a month before it was ready for a test drive. Any thoughts???
Old 12-30-2022 | 10:29 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsdream
Wanted to negotiate to hold it with a deposit pending PPI by an expert but, they said per the GM the car was too old to take a deposit which made no sense. Through the salesperson the GM said it was going to take a month before it was ready for a test drive. Any thoughts???
These statements are preposterous. They could certainly tak a deposit, they simply prefer to have lots of frenzied potential buyers. They could also surely fix the coolant system issues more quickly. The whole thing smells funky to me and I would be seeking a backup car or three.
Old 12-30-2022 | 12:17 PM
rodsdream
Advanced

Hootsama, I am a bit concerned too as I was searching for someone to do the PPI I found Porsche of Sarasota 30 miles away from them. This morning I called them and they have a coolant pump for $425.00 in stock. The salesperson did say there were 3 other interested parties so you may be right in that the seller wants to play us against each other once the vehicle is fixed.
Rod
Old 12-30-2022 | 01:38 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

It might be a legit car with a legit story. But stories are stories... Good luck, and don't be deterred. Once you know what you're looking for just keep looking and going through the checklist. You will find the right car with the right stories but it's wise to avoid falling in love with any one car until all the boxes are checked. I know because I fell in love with the 911 that I ultimately bought and cut some corners on MY checklist...

Happy hunting!
Old 12-30-2022 | 03:26 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hootsama
I know because I fell in love with the 911 that I ultimately bought and cut some corners on MY checklist...
Guilty of the same.
Old 12-30-2022 | 07:15 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsdream
Saw the car today!!! Paint was awesome the interior and rubbers almost flawless. The car had not been detailed yet for sale as the coolant pump has a small leak and apparently a TSB as well , so they are waiting until everything is fixed . They allowed me to drive it around their plot. I drove it around until the temperature came up to just over 150 deg. then parked it. I did not go over 10 mph. I checked under the body panels, wheel wells, suspension parts visible from the sides thru wheels engine compartment etc. No signs of corrosion or rust on anything. I WAS SHOCKED. Wanted to negotiate to hold it with a deposit pending PPI by an expert but, they said per the GM the car was too old to take a deposit which made no sense. Through the salesperson the GM said it was going to take a month before it was ready for a test drive. Any thoughts???
Many times buying Porsche with patience is like defying gravity - However I would look for another 997.
The fact they let you drive the car around with a faulty/leaking Water Pump sounds irresponsible.
These dealers let their salespeople drive the cars on the lot and also letting buyers drive it in it's condition, who knows whether car has been driven over temperature??

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-30-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2022 | 08:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Many times buying Porsche with patience is like defying gravity - However I would look for another 997.
The fact they let you drive the car around with a faulty/leaking Water Pump sounds irresponsible.
These dealers let their salespeople drive the cars on the lot and also letting buyers drive it in it's condition, who knows whether car has been driven over temperature??
Nah, a dripping water pump won't overheat the motor for a short drive for him to get the feel of it.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022 | 08:50 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Agree, although how much feel are you getting at 10 mph around the lot? More of a tease to push him over the edge than anything. Just the tip?
The following 3 users liked this post by TerrestrialFlyte:
Graufuchs (12-30-2022), jbkusa (12-30-2022), Liste-Renn (12-31-2022)
Old 12-30-2022 | 10:36 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Nah, a dripping water pump won't overheat the motor for a short drive for him to get the feel of it.
If dealer wouldn't allow me to put a deposit on the car and wanted me to wait a month before putting a deposit on the car I'd look elsewhere.
I'd guess they are waiting for the Title/paperwork and not sure of they will receive it or there is another interested dealer or they will deal the car out for another trade.

In the real world if a car needs water pump and you have buyer, you take deposit, get the car PPI/BSI and work the water pump into the sell price.
These Dealers smell funny.

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-30-2022 at 10:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Graufuchs (12-31-2022), Xios (01-07-2023)
Old 12-31-2022 | 07:26 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

If dealer wouldn't allow me to put a deposit on the car and wanted me to wait a month before putting a deposit on the car I'd look elsewhere.
I have to agree with this. It doesn't bolster any confidence in the dealer, even if the car was a nice example.
Old 01-01-2023 | 03:24 PM
rodsdream
Advanced

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, I have worked on engines my entire life both gas and diesels. I am not familiar with Porsche motors but, have worked on Mercedes Diesels. If a coolant pump/ water pump is bad it will probably leak from the sweep hole. I saw no leaks on the ground from the vehicle when it was started in addition most Thermostats open in the 997 at about 160F so driving in the p/lot less than 10 mph until the temperature reached 150 F wouldn't do anything to the engine especially if the radiator was full. The mechanic who is in charge of the car had the key at his station and told the salesperson only for me to drive the car briefly around the plot.
Rod

Old 01-01-2023 | 10:05 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Sandwedge has experience with that dealership. Maybe PM him. That's a beautifully spec'd car! It will go fast. Lot's of money is coming into Sarasota for the season.

I'd grab it if you can!
Old 01-02-2023 | 05:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

My parents condo had a water shower setup for cars. Basically a carport looking skeleton constructed of water pipes.
You pulled your car under it and turned on the water and car got good shower rinse.
Of course only good for the exterior topsides to get the salt spray off.
The underside and brakes stayed crusty as hell.
Nice feature. We don't have anything like that but a bunch of other useless stuff that probably cost more than the "car shower". We do have a car wash area though with a long hose so you can spray it clean manually but it looks like s**t when it dries since I don't bring all the complete car wash gear to the island. No use since the car will sit there the last night and I may as well just do it right when I get back to our mainland house away from the sand and the salt and a garage to park the car in once done. One windy night will make it look just like it did before I washed it down a few hours earlier.

Originally Posted by Dragon997
Sandwedge, know what you mean about the daily Gulf grime. Had a condo with carport across from Siesta beach and rinsed off the car with fresh water every other day. Can’t stand driving a “dirty” car!
Yup. See my response above. We're on Longboat Key but same issue. Some owners leave their cars sitting for what looks like months while they fly up north and I can't believe what their cars look like. Especially a beautiful late model blue Bentley convertible that just sits there most of the time and I wonder what all that crap that's blowing in from the beach is doing to the paint of it and everything else for that matter. I walk past it getting to my carport and I can barely see through the windows of that car with all the sand and salt grime collecting.

My carport is probably close to 200' from the beach so I have quiet a few car that you'd think would block some of the dirt blowing in from the beach. Not happening. I'm sure it would be worse being parked closer to the beach but it's obvious it's just flying around all over the place no matter how close or away from the beach you are.

I know. There are far worse problems in the world and I'm not complaining. Just observing and providing feedback.

Originally Posted by Quixotic1
Sandwedge has experience with that dealership. Maybe PM him. That's a beautifully spec'd car! It will go fast. Lot's of money is coming into Sarasota for the season.

I'd grab it if you can!
Can't find the post/thread you refer to but the only two Porsche dealerships I have experience with in Florida is Champion in Pompano Beach and Suncoast in Sarasota. Excellent experiences with both of them.
Old 01-02-2023 | 10:21 AM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

I thought you were referring to the 997.2 MT at Suncoast in Sarasota. It looks like a great spec! Sorry!

I just moved from Longboat Key living directly on Sarasota Bay with a carport to Tarpon Springs. During the summers when I went north from Longboat for 5 months I kept my car in a product called the "Carcoon". It worked very well to keep all of that gunk off my 560SL yet circulating air. The 911 lives in NC so no need,

I now live in Tarpon Springs where I have a house with a garage so I don't need it. If anyone is interested in a used Carcoon PM me.

Rich

Last edited by Quixotic1; 01-04-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2023 | 11:54 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Quixotic1
I thought you were referring to the 997.2 MT at Suncoast in Sarasota. It looks like a great spec! Sorry!

I just moved from Longboat Key living directly on Sarasota Bay with a carport to Tarpon Springs. During the summers when I went north from Longboat for 5 months I kept my car in a product called the "Carcoon". It worked very well to keep all of that gunk off my 560SL yet circulating air. The 911 lives in NC so no need,

I now live in Tarpon Springs where I have a house with a garage so I don't need tt. If anyone is interested in a used Carcoon PM me.

Rich
Some great greek food there!
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Quick Reply: FOUND MY FIRST PORSCHE