Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. 12 volt Carplay for PCM 3.0 (P2000 PCM30MD) install – short review, one problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2023 | 12:37 PM
chrispe
Advanced

@Thomas_ Just curious as I also just had my Mr12Volt installed on a PCM 3.0 in a 997 Turbo, was it also extremely tight when putting the PCM 3.0 back in place with the added harness in the back? I really needed to push it pretty hard to stay back in place probably squeezing the harness quite a bit...
Old 05-01-2023 | 12:44 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

Originally Posted by chrispe
@Thomas_ Just curious as I also just had my Mr12Volt installed on a PCM 3.0 in a 997 Turbo, was it also extremely tight when putting the PCM 3.0 back in place with the added harness in the back? I really needed to push it pretty hard to stay back in place probably squeezing the harness quite a bit...
Yes, had to squeeze the harness as well. Thought I would rearrange at some other time, but it works flawless, so I just let it be.
Old 05-01-2023 | 01:17 PM
chrispe
Advanced

Thanks @Thomas_
I had one time so far, where the PCM didnt start up at all (black screen), but that has been an outlier so far...so hope it also stays like that
Old 05-01-2023 | 09:02 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

I ended up reaching in from the back with my free hand and guiding the Mr 12 Volt wiring harness partially down into the center stack toward the AC controls, that created enough room for the PCM to re-install nicely.
Old 06-25-2023 | 10:31 PM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thomas_
Now looking into installing a backup camera, it seems easy, as the Mr. 12 Volt box is prepared for this. I just have to connect the backup camera RCA cable to the Mr. 12 Volt box and configure the settings.
@Thomas_ Did you ever install a backup camera? I installed the Mr. 12 Volt solution over the weekend and so far, I’m pretty happy. However, I’m unable to get it to work with my aftermarket Natika 720p camera. Just wondering if you (or anyone) has had success getting it to work with this reverse camera.

Last edited by gdclnfn; 06-25-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2023 | 02:51 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

Originally Posted by gdclnfn
@Thomas_ Did you ever install a backup camera? I installed the Mr. 12 Volt solution over the weekend and so far, I’m pretty happy. However, I’m unable to get it to work with my aftermarket Natika 720p camera. Just wondering if you (or anyone) has had success getting it to work with this reverse camera.
I did a test setup, with the camera just laying in the footwell. Worked fine. Will probably install the camera this summer, when I find the time for it. Bought a cheap camera from aliexpres for Porsche 997, works great. Did have to use the 12v trigger cable on the Mr. 12 volt to get picture.
The following users liked this post:
gdclnfn (06-30-2023)
Old 06-29-2023 | 10:17 PM
vokain
Advanced

Thank you for your help.

I have contacted Mr. 12 volt, no response yet. Can’t find anyone else (googling), who have installed this on the 997.2, as the device is just released – maybe someone, with the same problem will see this – if so, please respond 😊 Thanks.
I have problems pressing buttons that are on the top and bottom edges of the screen. I have to use my finger nail which has a smaller surface area than my finger pad to press the small buttons
Old 06-29-2023 | 10:18 PM
vokain
Advanced

All sorted out, it's fixed now. Mr. 12 volt responded, and calibration is easy.

Here's how to calibrate the touch display. In the Mr. 12 volt main screen - touch the screen anywhere where there is no icons and hold for approx. 10 seconds and the touch calibration screen comes up. You just touch 5 crosshairs on the screen, and the calibration is done. This has to be done one time only and calibration is automaticly stored.

The Carplay works great - and now touch also, even in the corners, no problems at all. Very happy with this device.
awesome thanks for this knowledge
Old 06-30-2023 | 12:08 AM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

I tried that method to calibrate my screen and it didn’t work. I stumbled upon this. From Mr 12 Volt menu —> Settings —> System —> Factory Mode —> Touch Calibration. That presented 5 crosshairs to touch and the touch response of the system has been so much better from an accuracy standpoint.

Now if I could just get my system to recognize via CANBUS when my PDK is put in reverse to show my backup camera, I’d be 100% satisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by gdclnfn:
Thomas_ (06-30-2023), vokain (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023 | 04:32 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

Now if I could just get my system to recognize via CANBUS when my PDK is put in reverse to show my backup camera, I’d be 100% satisfied.
I read somwhere, that the handbrake must not be engaged for the CANBUS/MR. 12 volt to register reverse with PDK. I have not tried it yet though. Please report if this works, thanks.
Old 06-30-2023 | 04:56 PM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

I read somwhere, that the handbrake must not be engaged for the CANBUS/MR. 12 volt to register reverse with PDK. I have not tried it yet though. Please report if this works, thanks.
I’ve tried this without success. No difference whether parking brake is engaged or not.
Mr 12 Volt support has asked me to disable/uninstall my mods4cars smarttop module in hopes that will help. I plan to try that this weekend. Whenever I installed Mr 12 Volt (and previously the ISUDAR board), it disabled functionality to the smarttop mod. I had to go in and manually re-enable. So, there may be some sort of conflict.
Old 07-02-2023 | 03:03 AM
Thomas_
Advanced

I’ve tried this without success. No difference whether parking brake is engaged or not.
Mr 12 Volt support has asked me to disable/uninstall my mods4cars smarttop module in hopes that will help. I plan to try that this weekend. Whenever I installed Mr 12 Volt (and previously the ISUDAR board), it disabled functionality to the smarttop mod. I had to go in and manually re-enable. So, there may be some sort of conflict.
I do not have any mods on my 997.2, and I could not get the mr. 12 volt to register reverse from the CANBUS, no matter what settings i used in mr. 12 volt (did have the handbrake engaged though). They advised to use the 12v trigger, and it worked fine.

Please let us know, if you have any succes in getting the signal fom the CANBUS to register. Would be happy not to tap in to the 12v reverse light.
Old 07-02-2023 | 03:30 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

I don't have a PDK so I can't check it, but here's a post that says how to do it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18777861

On my manual I had to tap into the reverse light trigger.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrMoose:
gdclnfn (07-02-2023), Thomas_ (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 05:48 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Looks great, great job!
Old 07-02-2023 | 11:48 AM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the help and advice.

I did follow the instructions exactly as presented in this video.

I have PCM 3.0, PDK, and the Natika 720p camera. It appears Mr 12 Volt cannot distinguish when the car is put into reverse (via CANbus).

@Thomas_ Do you have a PDK or manual? Like you, I really don’t want to tap into any factory wiring for the reverse trigger.

Quick Reply: Mr. 12 volt Carplay for PCM 3.0 (P2000 PCM30MD) install – short review, one problem.