Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. 12 volt Carplay for PCM 3.0 (P2000 PCM30MD) install – short review, one problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 01:16 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

We are working to remedy this issue.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
The following 2 users liked this post by Roman ACS:
gdclnfn (09-10-2023), Thomas_ (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:42 PM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good news. This did switch to a black screen with grid lines and the lines moved when the steering wheel turns. However, there is no camera image. Is there a setting in the password-protected advanced menu where I can select the camera type?

This is the camera I have installed. NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by gdclnfn; 09-11-2023 at 10:12 AM. Reason: URL was incorrect
The following users liked this post:
Thomas_ (09-10-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 04:07 AM
Thomas_
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Partly successful. Set the dipswitches for PDK and now reverse gear is recognized. The screen shifts to black when put in reverse, the guidelines are there end moving when moving steering wheel, and the little car on the right is there also (reverse radar).

But no picture. The cam works fine, when using the 12v. trigger. I tried with ‘After loading track’, 'OEM' and 'aftermarket'. No picture in any of them.

Getting close, the cam works with the 12v trigger, so it must be a software issue.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:20 AM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

@Thomas_ Exact same problem here. Hopefully, @Roman ACS and team can assist further. I've also reached out to Mr. 12 Volt via WhatsApp.

I hope this MCU update didn't introduce other issues as I've received a scrambled screen at least twice which required a reboot (via holding down the select button for ~8 seconds). I never had any issues like this previously and I've been using the system for several months.

Last edited by gdclnfn; 09-11-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Thomas_ (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 11:05 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,530 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by gdclnfn
@Thomas_ Exact same problem here. Hopefully, @Roman ACS and team can assist further. I've also reached out to Mr. 12 Volt via WhatsApp.

I hope this MCU update didn't introduce other issues as I've received a scrambled screen at least twice which required a reboot (via holding down the select button for ~8 seconds). I never had any issues like this previously and I've been using the system for several months.
That looks to me like there might be a mismatch in the camera settings. There are two standards for AHD cameras; 25 FPS (PAL) and 30 FPS (NTSC). If the camera output isn't matched to the video processor you get that scrambled screen (or sometimes no picture). Don't have Mr 12 Volt but there's usually a way in these Carplay units to change it in the settings menu. There may also be a CVBS vs. AHD camera setting.

Check your camera documentation as it usually says which one it is. The update may have reset it to the wrong one for your camera.

Last edited by PV997; 09-11-2023 at 11:34 AM.
bradnic (01-24-2024)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:51 PM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PV997
That looks to me like there might be a mismatch in the camera settings. There are two standards for AHD cameras; 25 FPS (PAL) and 30 FPS (NTSC). If the camera output isn't matched to the video processor you get that scrambled screen (or sometimes no picture). Don't have Mr 12 Volt but there's usually a way in these Carplay units to change it in the settings menu. There may also be a CVBS vs. AHD camera setting.

Check your camera documentation as it usually says which one it is. The update may have reset it to the wrong one for your camera.
@PV997 Great suggestions. I did play around with trying the different format selections:
  • Auto
  • CVBS-PAL
  • CVBS-NTSC
  • AHD 720P 25FPS
  • AHD 720P 30FPS
  • AHD 1080P 25FPS
  • AHD 1080P 30FPS
and that may have been when the screen was scrambled. I did put the setting back to “Auto” but still have the black screen when car goes into reverse (same for the other options).

Old 09-11-2023, 12:53 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

I swear I posted this but not sure why it didn't show.

I've got a 987.2 6-speed manual. My aftermarket camera has been working using the reverse light wire as the switch, but the guidelines never worked (didn't move with the steering wheel). After upgrading to the newest firmware I switched DIP 1 to "on" and now the guidelines move properly with the wheel.

I never tried DIP 1 on with the previous firmware so I don't know if it would've worked with that version too. But either way, seems like you should set DIP 1 to on regardless of which transmission you have.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:06 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrMoose
I swear I posted this but not sure why it didn't show.

I've got a 987.2 6-speed manual. My aftermarket camera has been working using the reverse light wire as the switch, but the guidelines never worked (didn't move with the steering wheel). After upgrading to the newest firmware I switched DIP 1 to "on" and now the guidelines move properly with the wheel.

I never tried DIP 1 on with the previous firmware so I don't know if it would've worked with that version too. But either way, seems like you should set DIP 1 to on regardless of which transmission you have.
Thats weird. So you have the 12v trigger input working with the new firmware and dip switch 1 to 'ON'.
I just tried to trigger the cam with the 12v reverse light trigger input, just to see it all working. But now I cant get it to show the picture, using the the new firmware - just a black screen as it is with the PDK reverse canbus setting trigger. It showed the picture fine with the firmware just before, when using the 12v reverse light trigger input. New firmware and dip switch 1 set to 'ON' and there is no picture with the 12v reverse light input trigger. Maybe it is the cameras default settings that have changed to a different format. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Anyway, hoping for a fix for the picture to show and using the canbus reverse trigger - it's almost there

Last edited by Thomas_; 09-11-2023 at 04:18 PM.
gdclnfn (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 05:56 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

So to clarify, I've still got the camera triggering via a connection to the reverse taillight wire. With the manual transmission setting it to trigger reverse via canbus still doesn't seem to do anything.

The only thing that's changed for me is that now when I turn on the track lines they properly move with the steering wheel. Before they would appear but were just straight and wouldn't react as the wheel was turned. I don't know if this was fixed in the new firmware or if it's a result of me turning on DIP 1 as I did them both at the same time.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrMoose:
bradnic (01-24-2024), gdclnfn (09-12-2023), Thomas_ (09-11-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 11:00 AM
Thomas_
Advanced

Tried all 5 cam settings (auto, cvbs-pal etc.), but still no picture on any of the settings, when putting the PDK in reverse gear.

I have a CVBS-NTSC camera, which works fine using the 12v reverse light trigger.

Old 10-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

New firmare out. Changelog just says: "PCM3.x_20230927” MOST connection improvement
See here: https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000-change-log

Will try this tomorrow.

gdclnfn (10-07-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Thomas_
Advanced

New firmware installed. Interface is much quicker now. That’s great.

Still no camera picture. Tried with different settings Aftermarket, OE camera, After loading track. No picture on any of them.

One weird thing though. When setting the reverse camera to OE camera, then when putting the PDK in reverse, it does not switch to the camera picture, but to the trip page in the PCM. And when putting the PDK in drive again, it shifts back to the P2000 menu.

Here’s is a pic of the view, when putting the PDK in reverse.

gdclnfn (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 05:28 PM
gdclnfn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thomas_
New firmware installed. Interface is much quicker now. That’s great.

Still no camera picture. Tried with different settings Aftermarket, OE camera, After loading track. No picture on any of them.
Thank you for posting your results. I won’t rush to update at this time. Are you in contact with Mr 12 Volt so they are aware this is still not working as designed?
Old 10-08-2023, 05:29 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Thank you for posting your results. I won’t rush to update at this time. Are you in contact with Mr 12 Volt so they are aware this is still not working as designed?
I'm also relaying this to my rep guys. We are on top of it.
gdclnfn (10-08-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 02:32 AM
Thomas_
Advanced

No, I'm not in contact with Mr. 12 Volt. How do I best do that? I can see that Roman ACS is in contact with them this time, so thats great that they get the testresults.

Quick Reply: Mr. 12 volt Carplay for PCM 3.0 (P2000 PCM30MD) install – short review, one problem.