Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triggering Reverse Camera with Mr12Volt CarPlay Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023 | 09:24 PM
waterpanda
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
So just to confirm: has anyone gotten the reverse camera switching to work on a PCM 3.0 Mr12volt via Canbus with a manual transmission? Or does it definitely require tapping into a trigger wire?

The 987/997 have the upshift indicator in the dash with a manual transmission, so I'd think there must be some sort of Canbus data signal for what gear you're in, right?
Mr12Volt unit does not support reverse signal via CANbus - I had to tap into a trigger wire.

This isn't to say there isn't a gear data in 997.2 CANbus though, NM Auto unit reportedly does support reverse switching without the extra tap, just that Mr12Volt unit isn't taking advantage of the signal.
The following users liked this post:
MrMoose (04-26-2023)
Old 05-01-2023 | 11:23 PM
RGTorque
Instructor

To recap, for mr12volt currently.

Only combination:
aftermaret cam + manual = require tapping to reverse light

Other combinations:
OEM + automatic
OEM + manual
aftermarket + automatic
these can be done by just changing settings

The following 3 users liked this post by RGTorque:
Body In White (05-02-2023), Thomas_ (05-02-2023), waterpanda (05-01-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 06:54 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Hi I just completed the mr12volt in my 991.1 C2S Manual.

TL/DR all manual cars will need the a reverse trigger unlike the NM auto unit that can grab the can data.

I came from the NM Automotive gen 1 kit. Couple of trouble shooting tips.

1.) if your screen is not centered. You have loose ribbon cable.

2.) In the NM auto kit, you can get the reverse camera triggered without a trigger wire, it somehow grabs the info from the can lines to flip on the camera with a a manual car.

3.) I used the Blue and Black wire from the rear BCM which is locates under the drivers seat. I tapped that wire and ran a wire to the unit into the green 12v rear camera into the Mr12volt box. From the wiring diagram the Blue and Black Wire is left Backup light and there is also a Black and Blue wire, which is the right backup light. Either wire should work, so if you can’t tell which is black and blue or Blue and black, both should trigger the reverse camera.

hope this is helpful to future 991 folks.My guess is the 997 is similar. I think the BCM for 997 and 996 are also under the drivers seat, you will just need to confirm which wires run to the reverse lights.

The following users liked this post:
waterpanda (05-30-2023)
Old 01-24-2024 | 09:09 PM
bradnic
Intermediate

Old 09-25-2024 | 12:18 PM
david2906
2nd Gear

Maybe someone can help me: We've installed the Mr.12Volt module in my 997.2 (manual shift) - working fine so far. There is only one thing not working: I get a camera picture when shifting to reverse, however, the lines are not moving. Do you have any idea how to get that solved? Thanks!!!

Last edited by david2906; 09-25-2024 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2024 | 12:53 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by david2906
Maybe someone can help me: We've installed the Mr.12Volt module in my 997.2 (manual shift) - working fine so far. There is only one thing not working: I get a camera picture when shifting to reverse, however, the lines are not moving. Do you have any idea how to get that solved? Thanks!!!
Do you have DIP switch 1 set to off? I had to do that to get it working on my manual 987.2. The old instructions had DIP 1 on for manual and off for PDK, but the updated instructions say to put it off for both.

If that's not it check the settings in the software. The camera I got had its own lines, which didn't work. I had to turn those off in the camera and turn the lines on in the Mr12Volt. Or maybe it's the reverse, it's been a while. But when I started I had two sets of lines on the screen.
Old 09-25-2024 | 12:56 PM
waterpanda
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david2906
If I‘m not mistaken, mr12volt unit does not support dynamic guide lines- it’s mostly a software limitation where it doesn’t read steering angle input over CAN. there are some other units that support this, namely the 9xxresearch unit.
Old 09-26-2024 | 01:37 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waterpanda
If I‘m not mistaken, mr12volt unit does not support dynamic guide lines- it’s mostly a software limitation where it doesn’t read steering angle input over CAN. there are some other units that support this, namely the 9xxresearch unit.
I guarantee that dynamic guide lines are working on my 987.2 with manual transmission and aftermarket reverse camera.
Old 09-26-2024 | 07:16 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is incorrect. Mr12volt supports with no issues on all models.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 09-26-2024 | 10:09 AM
waterpanda
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
This is incorrect. Mr12volt supports with no issues on all models.
would you be able to provide any more details to support your claim? I have the mr12volt unit- I only have static guide lines. perhaps newer models do?

it‘s also worth nothing some reverse cameras have dynamic guide lines built in (we all source cameras separately, the kit I bought didn‘t include one) - but they use accelerometer based inputs and are gimmicky at best.

if mr12volt does indeed support guidelines based on the car’S steering angle reading, would be great to know what the difference in configuration is!

thanks

Last edited by waterpanda; 09-26-2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2024 | 10:21 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

would you be able to provide any more details to support your claim? I have the mr12volt unit- I only have static guide lines. perhaps newer models do? thanks
I have a factory rear camera and 2 vehicles. After install the lines worked with no issues.
Old 09-26-2024 | 10:26 AM
waterpanda
Rennlist Member

Do you have DIP switch 1 set to off? I had to do that to get it working on my manual 987.2. The old instructions had DIP 1 on for manual and off for PDK, but the updated instructions say to put it off for both.

If that's not it check the settings in the software. The camera I got had its own lines, which didn't work. I had to turn those off in the camera and turn the lines on in the Mr12Volt. Or maybe it's the reverse, it's been a while. But when I started I had two sets of lines on the screen.
reading from this, I see there may be support on a newer model.

maybe
​​​​​​@mr12volt can chime in and confirm
Old 09-26-2024 | 12:45 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

reading from this, I see there may be support on a newer model.

maybe
​​​​​​@mr12volt can chime in and confirm
I don't believe so. When I got mine the instructions were the old ones.

Physically check your Mr12Volt box and make sure DIP switch 1 is set to off. Then go into the settings for Mr12Volt and check under Car Settings. I have reverse camera set to "after loading track" and reverse track set to on.
Old 09-26-2024 | 01:22 PM
waterpanda
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
I have a factory rear camera and 2 vehicles. After install the lines worked with no issues.
I see - note the difference in factory cameras vs aftermarket re: dynamic guidelines

I don't believe so. When I got mine the instructions were the old ones.

Physically check your Mr12Volt box and make sure DIP switch 1 is set to off. Then go into the settings for Mr12Volt and check under Car Settings. I have reverse camera set to "after loading track" and reverse track set to on.
Thx - I will try this out when I get home!
Old 10-05-2024 | 03:00 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Crap, I think I got that backwards, man: on my manual car I had to change DIP 1 to "ON", which was the old PDK setting. Sorry about any confusion.

The updated instructions now say to set DIP 1 to "OFF" for all cars, but I still have mine turned on and it's working fine with the lines.

Quick Reply: Triggering Reverse Camera with Mr12Volt CarPlay Unit