Sponsored by:

Help Me Understand Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 08:57 PM
Houndstooth
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help Me Understand Oil Consumption

I bought my 2005 997.1 base at the end of April. I've since put 860 miles on it. When I bought it, the oil gauge read 4 bars. It now reads 2 bars. I generally check the oil level when I first get into the car (it takes so long otherwise). Due to my concerns with oil consumption as it relates to bore scoring, I'm worried that this oil consumption is high. I had a bore scope done about a month ago when I had my IMS Retrofit installed. Stupidly I didn't get pics and the shop only went in from the top. The report states that it showed "nothing significant--minor scruffs, which appear normal."

Does this sound like abnormal oil consumption? Should I add oil periodically, or wait until the gauge hits one bar? And which oil is recommended? I do not know what has been used by past owners.

I apologize in advance for the ignorance to this stuff. I'm new to Porsche (having driven BMWs in the past) and I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'm trying to learn!

Last edited by Houndstooth; 07-19-2022 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:04 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Since the car is new to you, it’s hard to set a baseline. It could have been that the car had accumulated some moisture or even fuel in the oil and you’ve since evaporated it off. I would make sure you are keeping track of the oil usage over time, making sure you are checking the oil the same way every time, on a flat surface, at the same temperatures, every time. The readings can change a bit based on temp alone. You could perform an oil change now if you aren’t sure what oil was used in the car prior to your ownership. You can also look for sooty tailpipes and any oil that could be leaking. Other than that, I wouldn’t get too worked up yet on the numbers due to variability. I would check AOS operation to make sure that’s behaving properly. Some engines go through oil and some don’t, and it’s not always easy to figure out where the oil is going.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:00 PM
adityab
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not worrisome! The manual states that the car will consume roughly a quart for every 600ish miles. That’s about the difference between the top and bottom marks.

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I bought my 2005 997.1 base at the end of April. I've since put 860 miles on it. When I bought it, the oil gauge read 4 bars. It now reads 2 bars. I generally check the oil level when I first get into the car (it takes so long otherwise). Due to my concerns with oil consumption as it relates to bore scoring, I'm worried that this oil consumption is high. I had a bore scope done about a month ago when I had my IMS Retrofit installed. Stupidly I didn't get pics and the shop only went in from the top. The report states that it showed "nothing significant--minor scruffs, which appear normal."

Does this sound like abnormal oil consumption? Should I add oil periodically, or wait until the gauge hits one bar? And which oil is recommended? I do not know what has been used by past owners.

I apologize in advance for the ignorance to this stuff. I'm new to Porsche (having driven BMWs in the past) and I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'm trying to learn!
Old 07-20-2022, 06:44 AM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

If you dropped two bars at almost 900 miles I wouldn’t be too concerned, it’s a 17 year old car. 911s are known to consume oil. Some will more than others.

Wait until oil hits bottom line, then add 1/2 a quart. Make note of mileage. Then follow the same process when oil gets to bottom line again.
keep a log and monitor usage. If you are getting on average over 500 miles per .5 quarts ( over 1k miles per qt) I wouldn’t be too concerned. What you want to monitor for are significant increases in consumption. Remember the harder you drive the car it will consume more oil so keep that in mind as you are logging.
But be vigilant, get A used oil analysis at every oil change, consider getting a low temp thermostat as well as the LN spin on oil filter adapter if you don’t already have one ( if you have LN IMS retro fit you already have it). Also consider a heavier weight oil 5W-40. There are tons of oil threads just pick one, I use Driven DT-40. Keep an eye on sootage on the tailpipes to see if one side gets significantly heavier soot that the other.

Otherwise just enjoy the car don’t get too caught up on the trivial stuff.

Last edited by Scalp_em; 07-20-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:55 AM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 37 Posts

As a new 997.1 2006 Carrera S 3.8L owner, and reading up on the subject, via Google Searches to forums like this and PCA etc, I came to conclusion that oil level on a 997 is a bit of smoke and mirrors.

First, is the vehicle on a perfectly flat even surface, even garages can be graded to the exterior.

The Bars- I was told by the previous owner, he usually like 1 bar to be showing, and uses that as his base line. Once it drops another bar, he adds oil, which usually equates to about 1/4 t0 1/3 of QT of oil. I believe all 3 bars, are about 1/2 to 3/4 of a QT of oil.

So, I drove my new purchase from Portland Oregon to Raleigh NC via the National Parks and lots of mountains last month, a total of 3800 miles. It consumed about 2/3 of a QT of oil. Closer to a 1/2 QT.

I had the oil changed the day after I returned to Raleigh NC, at the Porsche Dealer, and no bars were showing when I picked it up, full to the brim, nor have been, in 800 miles since the oil change. (I left Portland 30 days ago today), a total of 4600 miles since I bought it. It has 64,600 miles on it now.

As a side note, the pervious owner used Liqui Moly 5/W40, but the Porsche dealer used Mobil 1 5W/40 spec. Oddly, it seems to run cooler with the Mobil 1, but maybe I am imagining things...lol

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 07-20-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:50 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

I have had my 06 S for about 13 years and have noticed that different types of driving also effects how much oil burs off. For example, sitting in a lot of traffic and city driving seems to burn the most.
I just did a 700 mile road trip averaging 80 mph, got 24mpg and burned no oil at all. But when I would drive it into San Francisco to work and sit in traffic, 30 miles each round trip for a week so 150 miles, I would need to add oil
every few weeks.
My car car 104k miles btw.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hella-Buggin':
groovzilla (07-20-2022), IrishWhiskey (07-20-2022), qikqbn (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 03:08 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I have had my 06 S for about 13 years and have noticed that different types of driving also effects how much oil burs off. For example, sitting in a lot of traffic and city driving seems to burn the most.
I just did a 700 mile road trip averaging 80 mph, got 24mpg and burned no oil at all. But when I would drive it into San Francisco to work and sit in traffic, 30 miles each round trip for a week so 150 miles, I would need to add oil
every few weeks.
Like the 996's, these 997's feel almost new at 104K miles IF well taken care of.

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Hella-Buggin' (07-20-2022), Mundo (07-24-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 03:35 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Ya know, I've thought about selling it many times over the years but it's just such a great car. I've had many adventure in it and it runs just as good as it always has.
Some of the interior plastic bit could use a refresh, the shifter is a tad sloppy and could use some love, the shocks are starting to feel a little squishy but all in all....
most trouble free car I've ever owned.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:56 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

This is the optimal oil level that should be measured on a cold engine and on a level surface. The manual states that consumption can include 1.6L/622 miles in which I haven't had that on my 06 C2S.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:29 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
every few weeks.

This is my exact experience as well. Longer freeway commutes vs stop and go city. I would even add aggressive driving/racing versus cruising makes a big difference too. I have owned my car 13 years as well and purchased it with only 6k miles on the odometer. Today I have 92k on the odometer.
Pre-Covid, I would commute via the freeway about 50 miles round trip. A blend of cruising with some stop and go. Would burn about 1 quart every 1000 miles. Since working at home for the last 2 years I am burning noticeably more oil due to shorter trips around my local city to run errands. I tend to wind it out more often in each gear to get my adrenaline pumping on my short little escapes from working at home. So it's no surprise that cruising in 6th gear on the freeway at 3000 rpm for 50 miles or more will burn very little oil versus chasing redline in every gear on your way to the grocery store.
Regardless, I would not be concerned at all about your oil cosumption. @DesmoSD Porsche chart photo about oil consumption says it all. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy your "new" 997 ride!
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 05:01 PM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 37 Posts

That makes sense on Highway vs city/urban driving.

That 3800 mile trip I took in mine last month was almost all 5th n 6th gear and 80% highway. Used hardly any oil at all...1/2 QT in 4K miles...
Old 07-20-2022, 06:33 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a gen 2. Right after an oil change, I don't burn any for about 2000 miles. Then, as my mechanic says, it will "burn the top off" the oil until it gets to the bar above the minimum bar (about 1k more), then it stays there for over 500 miles, then I will have to add a 1/2 quart about every 500 after that for a total consumption of 2-2.5 quarts per 5K. It has done this consistently for the last 25k. If I had a 3K oil change interval, I would never have to add any at all. Time will tell with your car. I wouldn't worry about it right now. Just drive the hell out of it and have fun.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:59 PM
Houndstooth
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I took some pics of my tailpipes. They do appear a little sooty to me. They have been this way since I purchased the car, which btw has 39k miles. It's always concerned me because I know it could be a sign of bore scoring. But, like I said before, my bore scope (albeit flawed) didn't appear to show anything significant.

My plan for now is to add 1qt of oil once it gets down to 1 bar and then try to keep track of my consumption from there.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:20 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I took some pics of my tailpipes. They do appear a little sooty to me. They have been this way since I purchased the car, which btw has 39k miles. It's always concerned me because I know it could be a sign of bore scoring. But, like I said before, my bore scope (albeit flawed) didn't appear to show anything significant.

My plan for now is to add 1qt of oil once it gets down to 1 bar and then try to keep track of my consumption from there.

Sounds like a good plan to get acquainted with your new ride. Your tail pipes don't scare me. Clean the tips up really good and enjoy your car. If you drive right and take it to redline often, then don't be afraid of burning a little oil.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin';[url=tel:18259110
18259110[/url]]Ya know, I've thought about selling it many times over the years but it's just such a great car. I've had many adventure in it and it runs just as good as it always has.
Some of the interior plastic bit could use a refresh, the shifter is a tad sloppy and could use some love, the shocks are starting to feel a little squishy but all in all....
most trouble free car I've ever owned.
Same boat with me and my 99 996. I’ve had it 5 years, and figured it would start to become a basket case at worst, or at least start to need a lot of little things here and there, and I’d need to upgrade to a 997 or 991. But it’s just such a good car, and it just works, I don’t want to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Help Me Understand Oil Consumption