Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche FEVER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 10:34 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 33 Posts

Robo - the intention of my post was not to debate the value of Indy’s vs dealerships as we all value things differently. As I’d mentioned, I have a long working relationship with this dealer and know them personally. A very experienced master tech diagnosed and will be performing the work. I trust them completely and that’s really all that matters as you do with your Indy.

I probably will do many things to this car from a maintenance/replacement standpoint that some will deem as unnecessary. I see value in the work and I’m quite certain the future owner, hopefully my 10 year old son, will see it as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by ParkerCO997.2:
8KaboveMSL (02-18-2022), TommyV44 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 08:47 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkerCO997.2

I share all this because I truly have the Porsche sickness. To bring this vehicle up to standard will not be cheap and amazingly it doesn’t really bother me. I saved up for a long time to buy this car, I am certainly not made of money. But for some reason this was an easy decision to make. I love the car, what it stands for, and absolutely love the experience of driving it.

Maybe someone else can better explain this phenomenon?
Not sure I can explain it either. Had a similar experience after buying my 997.1 C4S. quite a bit of deferred maintenance but I had no doubt it had to be done. Broke it up into 2 trips to the shop. I felt the same way - like the car deserves to be maintained.

Weird that as a new owner I almost felt a responsibility towards this car. It is perhaps a bit selfish - I want to experience the full performance of the car - but I’m not sure that totally explains it. All I know is that I love driving it and every time I get into it I get a smile on my face, no matter what is going on in and around my life at the time. On some level it’s almost like nursing that stray dog that was mistreated by its previous owner back to full health and the enjoyment you get when you see it running around healthy a playing in a park.

Funny for me to actually even think of it that way as while I do love dogs, I’ve never owned one.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,708 Likes on 4,264 Posts

If you have a good dealership, then more power to you. I don't and it's one of the things that has driven me to DIY almost everything myself. For what I've save in labor, I've built a pretty awesome tool arsenal that works on all the cars I own.

Love that you're trying to set yourself up early for a trouble-free run as not having to fix something every 4-6 weeks, even if minor, makes for a really nice ownership experience. The 997s are so good I had to buy other project cars to have something to do in the garage. I haven't done anything to either of our 997s besides oil changes in over a year, and my 914 in probably 5 years. Been keeping busy with 928 stuff and my daughter's BMW X5 that seems to need attention monthly
The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
cannonball05 (02-18-2022), Floyd540 (02-18-2022), Robocop305 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 03:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

I share all this because I truly have the Porsche sickness. To bring this vehicle up to standard will not be cheap and amazingly it doesn’t really bother me. I saved up for a long time to buy this car, I am certainly not made of money. But for some reason this was an easy decision to make. I love the car, what it stands for, and absolutely love the experience of driving it.

Maybe someone else can better explain this phenomenon?
I won't pretend to explain it but many on this forum have posted similar dreams of one day owning a 911 long before even having a driver's license so it seems to be a somewhat common sickness/fever among car buffs based on posts here and elsewhere. So don't feel bad about it. Feel good you fulfilled your dream even though it may have cost a bit more than anticipated. Many with the same 911 fever never get there for one reason or another.

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
Quick Qs

Is your clutch slipping? I would have them bleed the system and drain/fill new fluid to see if that solves the issue.

My clutch started slipping, I never had a heavy pedal.

Is your steering rack failing or leaking? Wonder why that’s on there.
Any codes related to the HPFP?
If I'm reading your signature right you have a base car. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the clutch on the S cars is self adjusting which leads to a heavier and heavier pedal as it wears and adjusts. Whether accurate or not, that's exactly what happened to my -06 C4S. Approaching 50K miles there was no slipping or anything else amiss with the clutch but it definitely got heavier with time.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 394 Posts

Having a personal realationship with an independent Indy is always better than a dealership. I know your investing alot of money but consider a nice ducktail as well. Nothing sweeter than a WB with a duc.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 02:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Robo - the intention of my post was not to debate the value of Indy’s vs dealerships as we all value things differently. As I’d mentioned, I have a long working relationship with this dealer and know them personally. A very experienced master tech diagnosed and will be performing the work. I trust them completely and that’s really all that matters as you do with your Indy.
I probably will do many things to this car from a maintenance/replacement standpoint that some will deem as unnecessary. I see value in the work and I’m quite certain the future owner, hopefully my 10 year old son, will see it as well.
Enjoy the hell out of your new C4S! You chose a nice car.
I agree getting to know a great Indy mechanic is the way to go. I've had my Indy work on my cars for the past 35 years. And only 5 blocks from my house but that's luck.
Try searching around to find the best Indy who has extensive knowledge working on Porsche's
Indy saves you $ on labor as well as saving $ on parts.
All the best!

The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (02-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Porsche FEVER!!!