Sponsored by:

Porsche FEVER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 05:28 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Porsche FEVER!!!

I purchased a 2010 997.2 C4S Cab (Manual with PSE) about 1 month ago and absolutely love the vehicle. I have wanted a 911 since I was a kid (now almost 50) and am very happy to have purchased the vehicle. I say that even after knowing what it now needs mechanically.

I feel as though I purchased my vehicle for a very fair number in today’s market. I also intend to keep it for 10+ years so it was more about getting what I wanted. I will also probably drive the vehicle about 4,000 miles/year.

Needless to say, my perceived value at time of purchase was just negated by the work I need to do mechanically. I say that sarcastically as I anticipated items would need to be addressed over the next year or two given the vehicles limited (below avg) service records and approx. 60,000 total miles. That was a risk I knew existed and accepted.

After driving the vehicle a few hundred miles I had the following observations that I wanted to be corrected. The vehicle started to exhibit slow to start issues and slight "sputtering" and then would die on cold starts. Additionally, I didn't think the PASM was working properly but wasn't sure. I purchased a DSC controller used from a member here but have been waiting to install after I have the vehicle checked out. I also purchased Eibach springs to improve the stance and took. Some difficulty going into 1st gear and a very heavy clutch pedal.

I just took my car to my dealer for a complete vehicle inspection while providing them a list of my concerns and to have the Eibach’s installed (along with a request to refresh bushings, etc discussed by qikqbn in this post ….

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...springs-5.html).

Needless to say, what I thought I would address over the next few years I will be doing all at once now given the recommendations. OUCH!

I just approved the following work, after coming back to life from blacking out when I read the estimate. And to be frank, I love the car and knew most of this would need to be addressed in time. So why not bite the bullet, get it all done, and then simply enjoy the car!!

1. High pressure fuel pump (most of you probably already knew this)

2. Front and rear suspension rebuild with Bilstein struts/Eibach springs and other OEM components. Factory struts were leaking and PASM was NOT working.

3. Clutch Assembly (Flywheel TBD)

- Rear Main seal will be done at the same time while its torn apart.

4. Steering Rack Replace

5. Manual Trans Fluid service

6. Diff Fluid service

7. Brake Fluid service

It will be a bit before the vehicle is complete, but I can’t wait to drive it. After a few miles I will then install the DSC controller as I will have a solid baseline for comparison.

I share all this because I truly have the Porsche sickness. To bring this vehicle up to standard will not be cheap and amazingly it doesn’t really bother me. I saved up for a long time to buy this car, I am certainly not made of money. But for some reason this was an easy decision to make. I love the car, what it stands for, and absolutely love the experience of driving it.

Maybe someone else can better explain this phenomenon?
Old 02-17-2022, 05:44 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Quick Qs

Is your clutch slipping? I would have them bleed the system and drain/fill new fluid to see if that solves the issue.

My clutch started slipping, I never had a heavy pedal.

Is your steering rack failing or leaking? Wonder why that’s on there.

Any codes related to the HPFP?

Old 02-17-2022, 06:23 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Why don't you find a good Indy mechanic rather than a dealer?
The following 2 users liked this post by Sporty:
Robocop305 (02-17-2022), voiceprint1 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 06:27 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

ATX
- The clutch was not slipping. At 60k I know there may still be life left in the clutch but I knew i'd be replacing it soon anyway, so I didn't ask many questions.
- The steering rack is leaking and needs replacement.
- I do not know about codes, I did not have any dash lights on.

I will say that I have a long working relationship with the dealer and trust that they are being thorough and not excessive with the recommendations given our relationship.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:31 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
Why don't you find a good Indy mechanic rather than a dealer?
Sporty - I trust this dealer given a long working relationship. I am also just one of those guys that appreciates the services offered by a dealership knowing that I may be paying a bit of a premium. I may be wrong, but I also feel as though when the day comes that I choose to upgrade and sell this vehicle, the documents and list of work performed by a franchised dealer carries more weight than an Indy with particular buyers.
The following users liked this post:
TommyV44 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 06:49 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkerCO997.2
Sporty - I trust this dealer given a long working relationship. I am also just one of those guys that appreciates the services offered by a dealership knowing that I may be paying a bit of a premium. I may be wrong, but I also feel as though when the day comes that I choose to upgrade and sell this vehicle, the documents and list of work performed by a franchised dealer carries more weight than an Indy with particular buyers.
I always prefer the dealer!! I've had very bad experiences with Indy's that others raved about!
Old 02-17-2022, 06:59 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

It sounds like you already gave the dealer the go-ahead, however I would be cautious of why a steering rack had failed, also you don't list an alignment or condition of the power steering pump?

Old 02-17-2022, 07:26 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

I bought a 2008 997.1 C4S Cab in 2019 and loved it. Manual. Great car. I really wanted a Coupe so I only kept it 2 years. The car had substantially less mileage when I got it, 23k and I put another 11k on in 21 months. Tons of fun. So congrats.

I will say that Autoworks Colorado in Ken Caryl does excellent work. They replaced my leaking steering rack with an oem rebuild out of a reputable company for far less than a dealer would charge. About a $1000-$1200 in savings.

Eisenbud's is an older indy shop but they know their Pcars and do good work. I-25 and 8th avenue. Right next to the highway. But for you I would say Autoworks. Prestige Porsche actually recommended them.

Congrats again on a great car.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:45 PM
tinroof
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats on the car. It looks great and should drive really well after you get done with that list.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:08 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Congrats! Unless noted on previous service records they are replaced, you might want to replace Waterpump, Thermostat, Idler pulleys which are wear parts.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

997.2 water pumps seem to last a long time. I'm at 145K miles and still on my original. Same for my idler pulley. And the thermostat.

The repair lists for 997.1 vs 997.2 are significantly different inthat .2 cars have little to worry about. The only things I have replaced outside of standard maintenance are the upper front strut mounts (at 120K miles due to the AWD geometry) and the front computer (at 125K miles for reasons unknown). My experience does not seem to be unusual.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
Floyd540 (02-17-2022), TommyV44 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 09:43 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

VP- the information I received regarding the rack was that the steering gear was the issue and beginning to fail and the pump is working well.

An alignment is being performed, I failed to list it in my original post.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:17 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Congrats on your new car. The .2 carries on the Porsche tradition of being pretty much bulletproof (save for stupid electronic issues that the whole world endures). I would doubt the clutch is an issue and the flywheel will not be an issue at all if you decide to pull the trans. No need to replace the RMS on a .2 even though you may be in there. Wait until the next clutch job and you won't need it then either. (I just did my clutch at 101,000 miles and all the good advice was to leave the flywheel alone since it was good and maybe replace the RMS on the next go around.) Leaking steering racks are rebuilt everyday for less than $300. Don't let someone sell you a "new" one. Do what actually has to be done and go drive the car. It will not break! Have fun.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:23 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

My experience with stealerships have been the complete opposite. I trust my local Indi shop that have more experienced mechanics. Most have worked at stealerships before. Stealerships usually hire mechanic that are just starting to learn. They usually have one or two Porsche master tech and the rest are apprentice.

You can also build a more close relationship with a local Indi. You will save a ton of money not going to stealerships. Anyways, good luck with the new car and enjoy with much health. Keep us posted.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:27 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

Floyd - thanks for the input! I’m super excited and though some of the work probably isn’t necessary I told them to go ahead.

I usually buy new vehicles and then over-maintain them till the day I sell them. A new 911 was no where in the budget and I’ve always wanted a 997.2 for all the reasons everyone talks about. In this case I just feel more comfortable replacing and refreshing many components now and then staying current as I put miles on it. Everything I own is usually in as good or better shape the day I sell it compared to the day I bought it. Part of my sickness I guess.
The following 3 users liked this post by ParkerCO997.2:
anewman (02-19-2022), Floyd540 (02-18-2022), TommyV44 (02-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Porsche FEVER!!!