997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a 997 in the current market?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022 | 07:55 PM
adnan76
Instructor

Default Selling a 997 in the current market?

I have a 997.2 with a 6 speed, which seems to be a somewhat sought after configuration. I’ve been entertaining selling it (to go towards a 991.2 later on), but have almost zero appetite for the selling experience. I’m taking it in soon to the local dealer for a normal service - anyone have any luck selling to Porsche dealers (direct sale, not a trade in) these days?

(I know this is something I can get answered when I take the car in, just wondering if people have a sense if they’ll offer 80% of retail or more like 60%).

thanks!
Old 01-23-2022 | 08:40 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Is your car a coupe? What color? Options?

Always better to sell car yourself - Dealer not so market friendly on buying. Some of these car selling companies like Carvana & Shift have been offering high dollar amounts for 997's but thinking that is starting to cool off.
I would say if you can find a Porsche dealer who has a 991 you want to buy, doing a trade in might be best solution for you because of the sales tax savings.
Not sure what your state Sales Tax is but we have 10.2% sales tax in Seattle.
The following users liked this post:
JAAM (01-23-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by adnan76
I have a 997.2 with a 6 speed, which seems to be a somewhat sought after configuration. I’ve been entertaining selling it (to go towards a 991.2 later on), but have almost zero appetite for the selling experience. I’m taking it in soon to the local dealer for a normal service - anyone have any luck selling to Porsche dealers (direct sale, not a trade in) these days?

(I know this is something I can get answered when I take the car in, just wondering if people have a sense if they’ll offer 80% of retail or more like 60%).

thanks!
I haven't done this and in normal times it would probably be among the worst choices of selling but with the slim inventory of 997's, ask your dealer what they'll pay for your car. They may surprise you. Or with any luck as groovzilla said, they'll have something at least close to what you're looking for and you can make a trade. Would likely save you a lot of hassle and money including taxes.
Old 01-24-2022 | 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A 997.2 6-speed will sell in 2 days in this market if priced right and you'll likely net $10k over what the dealer would give you. Also, you can probably beat the dealer price by selling to CarMax which is a painless process so check that out too, but honestly, if you clean it up, have service records, and put it in the Marketplace here (have to be a paid member), it will be gone by this weekend.
Floyd540 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 02:50 PM
Cmg Porsche
Rennlist Member

There's a reason why dealers are really called stealers. Sell it on an auction site They only issue will be having to deal with posting pictures and descriptions.

frederickcook87 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 03:22 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

OP, given your distaste and/or lack of appetite for the sell-side, another option is to find a consignment dealer in your area. They will act as your agent and if the fee they charge is acceptable to you, they will handle marketing and closing the transaction and give you a check at the end. You basically outsource the selling to them for a percentage of the deal. Good luck either way.
Old 01-24-2022 | 03:52 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

I’ve mentioned a few times that I have a friend with a used car business. He buys lots of private party Porsches. His best source is the local Porsche dealer, who has little interest in cars like this and refers them to my friend. If in New England I might be able to assist. This is a long time friend with a reputation for honesty and fairness.
Old 01-24-2022 | 04:59 PM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Default Yikes @ Carvana

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Some of these car selling companies like Carvana & Shift have been offering high dollar amounts for 997's but thinking that is starting to cool off.
😬

‘09 C2 PDK w/74k mikes, optioned as PAG Launch vehicle & minor damage on Carfax:

JerryK (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 05:06 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

I’d hate to see OP get raped like that.
I will offer $19,822
The following 2 users liked this post by 4Driver4:
Busta Rib (01-24-2022), UK2 (02-28-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 05:07 PM
adnan76
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice on this '10 coupe. My aversion to private party sales is mostly around opening up my car to a bunch of randos for test drives
I might have a chat with the dealer when it's getting serviced, but I'm guessing the offer will be well outside of the market (but perhaps not as far out as that Carvana offer above!)
ohmyggg (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 05:24 PM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I’d hate to see OP get raped like that.
I will offer $19,822
Yeah, seriously! We sold our old Prius through CarMax due to them giving us an above market offer. Worked out great, super painless, and would highly recommend if the price is right.

I suppose my 911 is being penalized for the Carfax ding and/or the mileage, but when we were considering selling our mint, low mileage ‘18 Macan GTS, all of these services were anywhere from $15k-$20k below what my local Porsche dealership had offered to buy it. So, I don’t think these apps know how to value Porsches in general.
Old 01-24-2022 | 06:18 PM
Jartin
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice on this '10 coupe. My aversion to private party sales is mostly around opening up my car to a bunch of randos for test drives
I might have a chat with the dealer when it's getting serviced, but I'm guessing the offer will be well outside of the market (but perhaps not as far out as that Carvana offer above!)
If the price is right, the DME/PPI checks out, and its a color I like. I'll buy it without driving.
Old 01-24-2022 | 06:27 PM
sbaro
Intermediate

OP, since you are not in a hurry, maybe try Bring a Trailer? I think for like $149 they will have a photographer come out and take pics of your car & they generate the description as well. Test drives are probably minimal or unlikely. Only hassle would be to be available to answer questions on-line for the 7-day auction period.

As you probably already know, economic downturn in '09 + introduction of PDK meant that Porsche produced significantly fewer cars (less than 8k per year from what I've read) for the 997.2, with over 80% of those being PDK. Estimating based on these numbers, you're looking at less than 5,000 997.2 manuals, and (if about half of production are convertibles) less than 2500 manual coupes. So should do well on BaT if condition & maintenance are good & you are ok with a couple month wait.
Old 01-24-2022 | 07:48 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=adnan76;17927873]Thanks for all the advice on this '10 coupe. My aversion to private party sales is mostly around opening up my car to a bunch of randos for test drives
I might have a chat with the dealer when it's getting serviced, but I'm guessing the offer will be well outside of the market (but perhaps not as far out as that Carvana offer above!)[/QUOTE

^^^ Selling a Porsche is not how this works.^^^
You still haven't mentioned how many miles on your car/ service history/colors/condition/etc?This all comes into play

I have sold about 50 of my Porsche's over past 38 years and nobody test drives my car unless they are serious buyers.
When you sell your car you may get some looky lou's but you weed out the serious buyers with questions and the overall way in which the viewing appt goes.
Serious buyers these days are usually ready to go and when comes time for test drive, you drive your car 1st for a few miles explaining/showing how to adjust seat/mirrors, let out clutch at stops/etc, pull over & stop, and let the serious buyer drive you back home in a mellow non-mentally ill way.
Real simple.

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-24-2022 at 07:52 PM.
Matt(inMA) (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 08:37 PM
adnan76
Instructor

Hey Groovzilla, I was trying to avoid the appearance of selling a car on the main forum, but it's a great condition Arctic silver coupe with 81k miles, and all records since new (dealer maintained by two different dealers).

Good advice on vetting by phone in advance. When I sold my 996 Turbo, I had a few strange ones, when I was selling my WRX, it was all strange ones.

[QUOTE=groovzilla;17928261]
I might have a chat with the dealer when it's getting serviced, but I'm guessing the offer will be well outside of the market (but perhaps not as far out as that Carvana offer above!)[/QUOTE

^^^ Selling a Porsche is not how this works.^^^
You still haven't mentioned how many miles on your car/ service history/colors/condition/etc?This all comes into play

I have sold about 50 of my Porsche's over past 38 years and nobody test drives my car unless they are serious buyers.
When you sell your car you may get some looky lou's but you weed out the serious buyers with questions and the overall way in which the viewing appt goes.
Serious buyers these days are usually ready to go and when comes time for test drive, you drive your car 1st for a few miles explaining/showing how to adjust seat/mirrors, let out clutch at stops/etc, pull over & stop, and let the serious buyer drive you back home in a mellow non-mentally ill way.
Real simple.
groovzilla (02-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Selling a 997 in the current market?