Sponsored by:

Busta's 2011 Carrera GTS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 06:12 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,343 Likes on 610 Posts

Yo, Jim.
Excellent post in the GTS For Sale thread.
With all the OE/Mod options you offer, a buyer can "configure" your ride to their personal preference and you can sell the rest of the parts à la carte.
FYI: I'm in to buy the Sport Classic (Speedster) spoiler if that ends up as a leftover part. It will pair perfectly with my Getty ducktail. Also the RSS LCAs.
GLWS!

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 03-23-2023 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Busta Rib (03-23-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 06:45 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

So...I changed my mind and decided to keep the GTS. Things can change in the future but I have a few more miles to go in this rig before I let her go. Breaking up is hard to do. Spring is finally here and I installed my custom seat inserts for the bucket seats. I used houndstooth fabric from Relicate with an orange highlight. I think they turned out pretty well.

The following 6 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
BillB128 (04-08-2023), Graufuchs (04-08-2023), irnnr (04-09-2023), kru911 (04-10-2023), Liste-Renn (04-09-2023), plpete84 (04-08-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-08-2023, 07:59 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
So...I changed my mind and decided to keep the GTS. Things can change in the future but I have a few more miles to go in this rig before I let her go. Breaking up is hard to do. Spring is finally here and I installed my custom seat inserts for the bucket seats. I used houndstooth fabric from Relicate with an orange highlight. I think they turned out pretty well.

Breaking up is hard to do. You made the right call.

I miss mine a lot and it's just in winter storage. Giving it up for 6 months a year is tough enough. She comes home next week.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
Busta Rib (04-09-2023), Carrera2RS (04-17-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:20 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

It's been awhile since an update. Some new changes for this driving season:
  • Installed Numeric shifter. I had one in my GT3 and it felt so good. I should have just done this mod from the get-go instead of installing the Sport Shifter + FF SRK. This is the best aftermarket shifter for our cars. Period. If you choose to buy one, remember to use the code "RENNLIST" to receive a 10% discount! (no affiliation)
  • Installed new Radiator Grille Store grilles. The ones that came on my car were custom/home-made grilles and they were tired and worn. These are relatively easy to install and simply use zip ties. If you look closely, you will see the ties, but other than that, they work well. If you have a GTS with the horizontal strakes, install will be a bit challenging because you need to disconnect the vertical strake in order to install, but other than that. it is fairly simple.
  • I had custom Sport Classic-inspired stripes installed with matte charcoal grey and bronze accent stripes. The side stripes were inspired by a photo I saw on Pelican Parts a loooong time ago on a 964. So I adapted it for my application. I think it turned out pretty well.

Happy driving, everyone!

Last edited by Busta Rib; 05-07-2024 at 10:24 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
Bwoy1981 (05-09-2024), cloud9blue (05-08-2024), cvalue13 (05-07-2024), dmpslc (05-08-2024), Hootsama (05-08-2024), idsteve (05-08-2024), jbkusa (05-09-2024), Jeroen//997 (05-10-2024), Liste-Renn (05-09-2024), martini_mike (05-15-2024), mikes70 (05-07-2024), misterdega (05-09-2024), myw (05-08-2024), Shock Arrival (05-08-2024) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:30 PM
Shock Arrival
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

The car looks phenomenal, glad you held on to it! Really like the stripe work!
Busta Rib (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:33 PM
B453D
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lookin good.
Busta Rib (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:31 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Curious what you did not like about the SSK/SRK mod/
I just that exact mod and it is damn near perfect.
Your ride looks bitchin' .
Old 05-09-2024, 07:52 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

For some reason, the setup still didn't feel right or precise enough for me. Each shift felt better than stock but there was some grainy-ness that I didn't like. Perhaps I didn't have the cables dialed in completely. I had the same shifter in my .1 S and it felt better. I was initiallly going to fiddle with the cables, but then I just decided to get the Numeric and not have to eff with the Sport Shifter any more. A dialed-in Sport Shifter still doesn't feel as good as the Numeric.

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Curious what you did not like about the SSK/SRK mod/
I just that exact mod and it is damn near perfect.
Your ride looks bitchin' .
Liste-Renn (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 12:10 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

If we meet up in Bend in June, I would really like to feel your set up.
I just put 200 miles of canyons with my new one and it would be a great A/B comparison.

The "grainy" feeling is there, but the reduced throw and elimination of lateral slop have sold me. Precision finding a gear at pace while trail braking is sharp- which was my major complaint with the OEM set up. Best thing about OEM was the butter smoothness shifting and entering each gear slot.

The FF owner/founder (Luka Lazic) installed my SRK on a brand new SSK I had sent to him from directly from Suncoast.
He advised that the rough spot he noticed (after putting in the kit) going into 2nd would resolve with some wear. And it did.

Anyways, you have now piqued my interest in the Numeric- you bastard!
Busta Rib (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 12:13 PM
Pierregirard
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Welcome to my 2011 Carrera GTS build thread. I'm a long time Porschephile and have had the good fortune of owning some amazing 911s (and one Boxster GTS). My purchase and ownership history of late is a little wonky but suffice say it has been an awesome journey with some incredible experiences. Like Goldilocks, it took some experimentation and circumstance to find the right 911 for me and that's the GTS. It is the right blend of performance, luxury, and comfort for me, although the GT3 will forever remain the best and most special 911 I've owned and the Boxster the best best handling. Here's the parade of past cars...

Here's the current ride with some interesting features: manual, 5-lug wheels, heated/ventilated seats, and LSD. I picked it up in San Jose CA with 63K miles and drove it back to Bend OR. Upon arriving home, the water pump failed and promptly got replaced. The clutch will need replacing in about 5K miles or so. I have other plans for it and will be documenting them here.

Recently, I installed the Top Gear center muffler bypass. You can read about it and user-experience in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html). Overall, it is a quality piece of kit and provides a deeper growl but it is not obnoxious and there is no drone. Total cost was about $630 including shipping. I had access to a lift which made the install really easy and did not remove the rear bumper. YMMV. It took about an hour to complete. Here is a pic of it installed and audio clip of the exhaust. Note: I have unplugged the solenoid cable in the engine bay for the PSE so that the valves are always open. I think it sounds better.

https://youtu.be/oErIlMFvrdA

Next, I replaced the engine mounts. I don't have a before and after shot of the exhaust tips but they did rise by about half an inch after install of the new mounts. I went with Wevo mounts (~$400) and have been a long-time customer of theirs from my aircooled days. Quality product and service. They used to offer three different durometers for the pillows (at least I got them for my 997.1 Carrera S) but now you can only get them with one option (yellow). So far the only difference is slight increase in NVH (some engine hum) at low speeds. If you are sensitive to any cabin noise, do not get semi solid mounts. For me, this is a sports car and I'm good with it. Install is straightforward:
  1. Loosen the top bolts first and then loosely thread them back in by a couple threads.
  2. Then jack the car up to get to the torx nuts (T55?) underneath.
  3. Support the engine. I placed a support on the rearward edge of the oil pan.
  4. Do one mount at a time. Torque the lower nuts to 63 lb-ft and then tighten the top bolts (17 or 18 lb-ft for M8, 23 lb-ft for M10) to spec.

I didn't like the feel of the stock shifter so I decided to make some changes. I bought the ShiftRight kit from Function First (http://www.function-first.com/produc...right-solution) for about $305. It replaces all the plastic bushings and pivot connections with quality metal parts.

I also bought a cheap short shifter on eBay for about $50. It is basically a replica of the B&M shifter.

There are numerous YouTube videos on how to remove your center console so I won't get into here. Once you get access to the shifter, remove the entire chassis and go to town replacing all the parts. It is best to have a workbench and vice to make things easier. I used this video as a guide on how to replace everything. Function First also has a PDF doc on their site with detailed instructions for install and how to remove your center console.

https://youtu.be/38hER9ajgv0

Some things to keep in mind if you do this install:
  1. For removing and re-installing the center console and associated parts, take care to remember where all the parts and screws go and the order to reinstall when you put everything back into place. I ended up with one extra screw and for the life of me could not remember where it goes.
  2. Use a Sharpie or permanent marker to mark where your shift cables are inserted into the shift cable connectors on the shifter carriage. This will make it easier to reinsert into the connectors when you reinstall the shifter carriage.
  3. The ball joint on the short shifter that inserts into the Function First pivot point is large and tolerance is very tight. Insert the ball joint into the pivot point before installing in the shifter carriage and move it around numerous times to remove some of the anodized surface and minimize the friction. I also added some grease to help make things move smoother.
  4. The metal bushings that come with the Function First kit are designed to have a tight tolerance and will fit very tightly into the shifter carriage holes. Use some sand paper to sand some material away on the carriage holes to facilitate easier install. Also use some of the provided grease to help.
  5. The clips provided by Function First are a PITA to install. I used the C clips provided with the aftermarket shifter instead. Much easier to install.
  6. The aftermarket short shifter tilts the shift **** towards the driver. I think it is a nice touch but some may not like it.

Overall, shifts are more precise, engagement more positive, and the throws are shorter but not obnoxiously so. Much better than stock. My only complaint is that there is about 1/8" of play when the shifter is in neutral. I think it has to do with the way the short shifter posts fit into the metal bushings. I plan on going back in to figure this out and see how I can dial out the remaining play. It is not material to shifting but just more annoying to me or could be if you are OCD (aren't all Porsche owners? ).

For me, I spent a total of about $360 for this upgrade. The value prop is there compared to getting a Numeric shifter, at least for me. That said, if you can pick up a Numeric used for $500, I recommend going that path. There is NO comparison between this solution and the Numeric shifter, which is the best shifter out there IMO. I had a Numeric installed on my GT3 and it was incredible. Granted, it would not be an apples to apples comparison with a Carrera S or GTS, because the transmissions are different. But in general, all things being equal, Numeric wins hands down. It is high quality and provides a super precise shift every time with no slop.

Wow! So many rare models! Some of them I even haven't seen in real life, just on pics!
Busta Rib (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 03:23 PM
Acropora8
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

@Busta Rib https://shop.wheelflip.com/products/...ond-silver-set DOO IT

Quick Reply: Busta's 2011 Carrera GTS Build Thread