Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busta's 2011 Carrera GTS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 12:07 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks Busta. Keep me in mind if you decide to sell. My wife has a boot collection, I get to have a Porsche wheel collection. I foolishly sold my set when I aquired my Porsche Classic Fuchs . Cheers
Old 06-24-2022, 03:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Carrera Sports are in storage. They will go back on the car if/when I sell.
Great plan. Keep them in storage at all cost if you consider selling in the future. Well documented by now that the biggest hurdle I ran into having my car on the market for a while was not having the stock wheels. Didn't matter that the after market wheels I have are forged rather than cast, weigh almost 10 lbs. less each than the cast stock wheels and the difference in price between a set of stock wheels and my Forgelines is considerable which may be an understatement.

I'll never get rid of stock parts again if replaced by anything after market. A lot of buyers want bone stock. Period. Wheels may be the best example. Everyone has different taste in what looks good and what doesn't so it doesn't matter how much you spent and how good they look to you. Unless you luck out. Long odds.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (09-12-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Great plan. Keep them in storage at all cost if you consider selling in the future. Well documented by now that the biggest hurdle I ran into having my car on the market for a while was not having the stock wheels. Didn't matter that the after market wheels I have are forged rather than cast, weigh almost 10 lbs. less each than the cast stock wheels and the difference in price between a set of stock wheels and my Forgelines is considerable which may be an understatement.

I'll never get rid of stock parts again if replaced by anything after market. A lot of buyers want bone stock. Period. Wheels may be the best example. Everyone has different taste in what looks good and what doesn't so it doesn't matter how much you spent and how good they look to you. Unless you luck out. Long odds.
I just had my car appraised and the appraiser (also local PCA chapter member) told me to keep all the stock parts too. I still have my stock steering wheel, short shifter and the Carrera Sport wheels too. I did sell my old head unit though. For me personally, the Carrera Sport wheels were my least favourite part of the car! And I don't know if I'll ever sell the car too. But still those wheels sit. I was going to flog them but maybe they should just continue to sit then...
Old 06-24-2022, 12:47 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 426 Posts

I have all the stock parts and can return it to its original form if I ever sell. But the more I drive this car, the more I am thinking I will likely drive it into the ground or only sell when I am no longer physically able to drive. It is so much fun to drive and I have made it my own now. Next week will be my one year anniversary owning the GTS. I've driven over 13K miles in that span and have another trip to So CA planned in a couple weeks to visit family. I think I've put more miles on my 911 than my daily driver. It has performed flawlessly and provided so many incredible experiences and memories. I recently snapped this photo and the serendipitous mileage on the odo. I'll see if I can take another one at 100,997!

Old 06-24-2022, 02:08 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Most definitely. Its funny Sandwedge cause a local member was selling a set of your wheels for $5500.00. People don't understand how much aftermarket wheels may cost/value.

I'm planning to keep my OEM wheels as well but I was thinking of painting them glossy black instead of the current power coat finish. You guys agree that may look better then the current state?

Old 06-24-2022, 03:39 PM
Emc2design
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 269 Posts

In addition, I got a set of rear bumper splitters from EMC2. These add some subtle flare to the rear bumper and match perfectly with the character lines from the side sills. They are quality parts and the finish matches factory. Install was a PITA! Highly recommend removing the rear bumper. Then you need to remove the heat shields to get to the tabs that release the stock parts. I installed with the bumper on and it was challenging due to limited space for my fingers to reach the tabs. Once the stock parts are off, install is less than a minute. It was an overcast day today so the pics are not the best. I will be getting a photoshoot of the rig soon and will post better shots. Overall, I am pleased with how the rear end looks!

Thank you for sharing and for your feedback @Busta Rib . looking superb

By Porsche enthusiasts
For Porsche enthusiasts

The following 2 users liked this post by Emc2design:
Busta Rib (06-24-2022), gutenfreibier (12-20-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 04:37 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

I wasn't completely happy with my budget shifter so I ended up getting the Porsche Sport Shifter (99742498300) from Suncoast for ~$540, including shipping. I had this same shifter in my .1 Carrera S and liked the feel of it. It is more precise but not as hardcore as the Numeric. I transferred all my Function First metal bushings and pivot point to the new carrier and the improved feel is noticeable. No play whatsoever and smooth as butter. Now, time to enjoy and drive!

The following 3 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
mikes70 (06-26-2022), tegraphile (09-12-2022), VT Blue (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 07:00 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

pretty straight forward install? looks like it is. Mine is stock and could use some "tighter feel"

So, question, I am also 55 and pondering selling my 7.2S, Arctic Silver, Sea Foam Blue interior and 6 Spd. The car is a elfin joy to drive. ONLY reason for the pondering is the Mezger.
I do need knee replacement at some point on my left knee and sure would love to have a crystal ball to know how my knee will feel after 4-6 hours shifting the GT3 clutch.....I do ride bicycles quite a bit, and the muscle it gives me is the reason for the postponement of the knee replacement (almost no pain, but the sockets kinda loose).

Since I just cant go out and test drive one, can you give me your opinion on the 3 vs the GTS? (with the different tranny's/flywheel/clutch...)

Im going to Bend for the first time in August, and will be doing some minor mountain biking (my lil sis turns 50 and her and her husband will most likely be "settling down" up there.....

Cheers, Mike
Old 06-26-2022, 11:04 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Yes it is a pretty straightforward install on the shifter. Watch a couple Youtube videos and you will be set. The GT3 is just more hardcore: stiffer clutch and notchier transmission that requires more effort to shift. Combined with a LWF and you have a car that doesn't like to be driven on the street at normal speeds like most cars. It gets better when you grab it by the scruff and drive with intent and high revs. Like most cars, everything becomes much easier and rewarding when you drive it like you stole it, but the GT3 doesn't have as much flexibility and forgiveness as the "lesser" 911s at lower speeds.

That's why I sold my GT3 because my driving style changed and I'm just more chill now. The GTS just has a bigger enjoyment band and versatility than the GT3, but the 3 is the superior car when you wring it out. If you have a few more years left in your knee and the means, I highly recommend getting a GT3. It is a very special car and something to experience. Give me a shout when you're in Bend and we can grab a beer.

Originally Posted by mikes70
pretty straight forward install? looks like it is. Mine is stock and could use some "tighter feel"

So, question, I am also 55 and pondering selling my 7.2S, Arctic Silver, Sea Foam Blue interior and 6 Spd. The car is a elfin joy to drive. ONLY reason for the pondering is the Mezger.
I do need knee replacement at some point on my left knee and sure would love to have a crystal ball to know how my knee will feel after 4-6 hours shifting the GT3 clutch.....I do ride bicycles quite a bit, and the muscle it gives me is the reason for the postponement of the knee replacement (almost no pain, but the sockets kinda loose).

Since I just cant go out and test drive one, can you give me your opinion on the 3 vs the GTS? (with the different tranny's/flywheel/clutch...)

Im going to Bend for the first time in August, and will be doing some minor mountain biking (my lil sis turns 50 and her and her husband will most likely be "settling down" up there.....

Cheers, Mike
Old 06-27-2022, 04:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I just had my car appraised and the appraiser (also local PCA chapter member) told me to keep all the stock parts too. I still have my stock steering wheel, short shifter and the Carrera Sport wheels too. I did sell my old head unit though. For me personally, the Carrera Sport wheels were my least favourite part of the car! And I don't know if I'll ever sell the car too. But still those wheels sit. I was going to flog them but maybe they should just continue to sit then...
Let them sit, just in case.

I have all the stock parts and can return it to its original form if I ever sell.
As already established, good plan and a bad plan on on my part to think that expensive high end after market upgrades aren't seen as upgrades by many buyers.

Originally Posted by wardrive
Most definitely. Its funny Sandwedge cause a local member was selling a set of your wheels for $5500.00. People don't understand how much aftermarket wheels may cost/value.

I'm planning to keep my OEM wheels as well but I was thinking of painting them glossy black instead of the current power coat finish. You guys agree that may look better then the current state?
I saw that sale. You're exactly right. A lot of buyers are not enthusiasts such as those participating in this forum or others and don't know or care what the difference is between stock parts and high end after market parts. I actually get the impression that many think that anything not Porsche OEM is inferior without even a quick research.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:02 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

Mike,

Yes it is a pretty straightforward install on the shifter. Watch a couple Youtube videos and you will be set. The GT3 is just more hardcore: stiffer clutch and notchier transmission that requires more effort to shift. Combined with a LWF and you have a car that doesn't like to be driven on the street at normal speeds like most cars. It gets better when you grab it by the scruff and drive with intent and high revs. Like most cars, everything becomes much easier and rewarding when you drive it like you stole it, but the GT3 doesn't have as much flexibility and forgiveness as the "lesser" 911s at lower speeds.

That's why I sold my GT3 because my driving style changed and I'm just more chill now. The GTS just has a bigger enjoyment band and versatility than the GT3, but the 3 is the superior car when you wring it out. If you have a few more years left in your knee and the means, I highly recommend getting a GT3. It is a very special car and something to experience. Give me a shout when you're in Bend and we can grab a beer.
Will do, thanx.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:49 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

I recently did a drive in the redwoods of northern CA with some friends. Beautiful area and some amazing roads! A friend snagged a clip of me buzzing by at 7000 RPM. The rig is dialed in.

The following 3 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
Graufuchs (09-11-2022), irnnr (09-12-2022), Liste-Renn (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 12:04 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,407 Likes on 650 Posts

Sweeeeet.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Winter has arrived and it was time to swap to the winter wheel/tire setup. I also have a sneak peek at my latest interior mod for my folding bucket seats: I had a second set of seat cushions made and covered with Relicate houndstooth fabric with orange highlights. I will run these cushions in the summer along with my summer wheel setup. Should be much cooler than the leather and look pretty sweet. For the winter, I am keeping the stock cushions on because heated seats. Happy holidays.

The following 10 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
997ajk (11-15-2022), anewman (11-16-2022), elwademd (11-25-2022), flapjacksteve (12-21-2022), ftc3 (01-24-2023), Graufuchs (11-15-2022), GT2RSobsessed (03-11-2023), irnnr (11-16-2022), Lastdragon (03-23-2023), Liste-Renn (11-16-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:08 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

wow those inserts are noice!
The following users liked this post:
Busta Rib (12-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Busta's 2011 Carrera GTS Build Thread