Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jake Raby on Semi Solid Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 08:13 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

I doubt he minds sharing because there's a huge volume of evidence that he actually has a passion to.
I think it's easy to find what gets tiring for him.
​​​​​​
Old 08-16-2021, 08:21 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The crap I have had to deal with from sharing my direct experiences simply isn't worth it. "Why? Why? Why? Does this pertain to my car? Why hasn't anyone else said this? But the car drives so good with the other mounts."

It simply isn't worth the crap.. I've received two tickets today already from people that are concerned with their aftermarket mounts. Each one of these tickets and questions takes time that we don't have.
This comes with the territory though especially with your level of expertise. You tell people about Driven Oils, they swear by Mobil 1. You tell people about OEM mounts, they go with semi-solid. This sounds like one of your many pet peeves....
Old 08-20-2021, 09:55 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Jake - Quick Q - when you recommend / install OEM mounts, are you meaning the Genuine Porsche-branded parts, or the Febi/Bilstein OEM(ish) mounts?

I have WEVOs on my car and I'm considering going back to OEM. I see Febi/Bilstein offered at the usual porsche parts places, with longer warranty and ~$200 cheaper than the porsche-branded parts. When I change my brake pads and rotors, I use the brands that are OEM-ish, and I've had great results.

Thx for your advice
Old 08-20-2021, 11:08 AM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
Jake - Quick Q - when you recommend / install OEM mounts, are you meaning the Genuine Porsche-branded parts, or the Febi/Bilstein OEM(ish) mounts?

I have WEVOs on my car and I'm considering going back to OEM. I see Febi/Bilstein offered at the usual porsche parts places, with longer warranty and ~$200 cheaper than the porsche-branded parts. When I change my brake pads and rotors, I use the brands that are OEM-ish, and I've had great results.

Thx for your advice
Tried the Wevos and my 997.2 ran like crap. I put on the Febi Bilstein (OEM). It made a world of difference. Car runs like new. Maybe I have a sensitive knock sensor, but that's my experience. Anyone else watch the latest PCA Tech Tactics Live? All three independent Porsche shops went back to factory parts for their customers. Perhaps Porsche knows what they're doing. After all, they spend countless hours testing parts to make sure the car's systems run as designed.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:13 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

thx bheit.
When I replaced my stock mounts 8 years ago with Wevo (see DIY sticky thread, mod #18 for my contribution), I thought it made a very noticeable positive difference - I really liked the way the car handled. At that point, the mounts I took out were almost 8 years old and had maybe 45-50k miles on them. Lately, my suspension is creaky and it sounds like a jalopy when I go over speed bumps. It's probably not the engine mounts but that idea has crossed my mind.
After seeing this thread, I decided to go back to OEM. Now I see where I can get genuine porsche from Suncoast for only $75 more that Febi Bilstein from Pelican, so I went with the porsche branded set.
Hoping it's a positive step!

My photo from that DIY post:

Old 08-20-2021, 09:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,239 Likes on 3,977 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
thx bheit.
When I replaced my stock mounts 8 years ago with Wevo (see DIY sticky thread, mod #18 for my contribution), I thought it made a very noticeable positive difference - I really liked the way the car handled. At that point, the mounts I took out were almost 8 years old and had maybe 45-50k miles on them. Lately, my suspension is creaky and it sounds like a jalopy when I go over speed bumps. It's probably not the engine mounts but that idea has crossed my mind.
After seeing this thread, I decided to go back to OEM. Now I see where I can get genuine porsche from Suncoast for only $75 more that Febi Bilstein from Pelican, so I went with the porsche branded set.
Hoping it's a positive step!

My photo from that DIY post:
That creaking is likely your sway bar mounts and has nothing to do with the motor mounts..
Old 08-20-2021, 09:56 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
That creaking is likely your sway bar mounts and has nothing to do with the motor mounts..
Yeah you're right and I know that - as stated in my earlier post - but it's part of my rationalization for making this next swap
Parts were ordered earlier today
===
but - hey - I have RSS sways and adjustable drop links (like you, right?). You think I should swap out the sway bar mounts? I imagine they're most likely original, on this ~16 year old car with 111k miles. Any recommendation on which to get? Maybe stock would be the way to go...

Last edited by Jack667; 08-20-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:38 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

[QUOTE=Jack667;17619740]thx bheit.
Hoping it's a positive step

I noticed the Febi Bilstein (OEM) mounts are identical to the Porsche version, same part nos., same casting marks. They must be a factory supplier.
The following users liked this post:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022)
Old 08-21-2021, 02:32 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=bheit1;17620656]
Originally Posted by bheit1
I noticed the Febi Bilstein (OEM) mounts are identical to the Porsche version, same part nos., same casting marks. They must be a factory supplier.
That seems like the smart way to go - thx for checking back on that
The following users liked this post:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022)
Old 08-21-2021, 04:36 PM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought Rein were the OEM supplier? Their mounts look identical to the Porsche branded ones. Can someone confirm?
Old 08-22-2021, 11:16 PM
bantamben
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RSS mounts

Jake have you tested the RSS mounts, you sell them on your site. Curious if you’ve actually dynoed them.

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...SABEgKqyPD_BwE
Old 08-22-2021, 11:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,239 Likes on 3,977 Posts

Originally Posted by bantamben
Jake have you tested the RSS mounts, you sell them on your site. Curious if you’ve actually dynoed them.

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...SABEgKqyPD_BwE
That's not Jake's site. He's Flat6Innovations. It wouldn't surprise me if those guys selected that name for exactly that reason.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,283 Likes on 900 Posts

I don’t sell ANY parts. You can’t even beg me to buy parts.
No, that’s not my site.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:31 PM
BossAngeles
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have the RSS mounts in my car and have not noticed any knock related performance issues, however, my car is suoerchsrged, uses the DME from a twin Turbo car and is tuned by RUF so who knows what it's doing with regard to knock thresholds and engine protection - probably handles it more like the TTs than the Carreras.
Very useful! Thanks!
Old 05-14-2022, 12:32 PM
BossAngeles
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Jack667;17620871]
Originally Posted by bheit1

That seems like the smart way to go - thx for checking back on that
Thx. If RSS is a let down I’m looking into this!

Quick Reply: Jake Raby on Semi Solid Engine Mounts