Jake Raby on Semi Solid Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 04:18 AM
seewong
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Jake Raby on Semi Solid Engine Mounts

So I recently discovered Jake's video on semi solid engine mounts
. He has dyno proof that the Wevo semi solid mounts on the 996 cause the engine to detect false knock, pulling timing and causing the car to lose power. I currently have the Function First mounts in my car and know that a lot of people on this forum have some kind of semi solid engine mounts. I am curious of your thoughts on this!

I am wondering if I can datalog my car to see if anything weird is going on before going through the trouble and switching back. I would hope that since the Function First is the least aggressive semi solid mount that I would not have any problems. Maybe the easiest way is to find someone with a stock 997.1 C2 in the bay area and drag race them

Thread on the 996 forum here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ne-mounts.html

Last edited by seewong; 08-01-2021 at 05:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by seewong:
munch1967 (08-14-2022), Ratchet1025 (12-06-2022)
Old 08-01-2021, 08:06 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Yeah I'm curious about this as well. But for now, I think ill be replacing with stockers. And just do it more often.
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:17 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

I've said it elsewhere but while it's hard to argue with what we see in the video, it's weird to me that many thousands of people have gone with semi-solids and this kind of drastic performance hit has yet to become common knowledge and is basically never spoken of. It's not like Jake is the only guy with a dyno or data logging capabilities and he's definitely not the only person who knows what a knock sensor is.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skwerl:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022), frederickcook87 (08-15-2021), Robocop305 (05-19-2022)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I think this might be more specific to the 996 model and may not apply to the 997. The thread on the 996 forum is a good read beyond that video that started it.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
I think this might be more specific to the 996 model and may not apply to the 997. The thread on the 996 forum is a good read beyond that video that started it.
Interesting….after that video I was seriously thinking that I should take out my WEVOs and go back to OEM/stock…got any links talking about this not affecting the 997?
Old 08-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Read through this thread on the 996 forum:

'I hope nobody had stock in aftermarket engine mounts'

Old 08-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Flat6 Innovations , Today 07:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James88
I've asked this question several times, l guess he doesn't want to answer.
I have had limited exposure to the function first mounts. I have a 997 coming up that came to us with these mounts fitted, and I will do a comparative when the R44@ 4.4L engine goes back into that car.

I did test another 997 two weeks ago that used the Rennline mounts Vs stock replacements, and did not see as big of a difference in that car as I had seen in the past. These results do carry over, but both the 997 and 897 ECUs seem to do a better job of not pulling as much timing as the 996.

These comparatives have always gone on here, this isn't new. I usually have to waste time to gather data to prove to the customer why their beloved "*** shakers" need to be removed and replaced
Old 08-01-2021, 05:04 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

to prove to the customer why their beloved "*** shakers" need to be removed and replaced
It's like he's physically incapable of making a post without being smug and condescending in some way
The following 4 users liked this post by Skwerl:
anewman (08-01-2021), frederickcook87 (08-15-2021), PJorgen (08-02-2021), Ratchet1025 (12-06-2022)
Old 08-01-2021, 05:30 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Having dealt with Jake personally and in many private conversations I can attest that he has never come across that way and I will defend his integrity and character to any and all participants on RL. He might have a blunt way of conveying his knowledge but he has the depth of knowledge and first hand experience to back it up, that there is no question. After dealing for decades with a client base (Porsche owners) who as these forums clearly demonstrate can many times be 'entitled jerks", I think this community should be thankful for his contribution. BTW, I am not insinuating that Skwerl is an entitled jerk, my reference was more towards others that post comments questioning peoples moral character and "fear mongering" allegations. Sorry for the venting.

Correction: Sorry for the typo, First word is Having, not Haven't...makes a big difference, my apologies

Last edited by Optionman1; 08-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Optionman1:
Presto (08-02-2021), ZuffenZeus (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 06:55 PM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Yeah, he's much nicer when speaking with him directly on the phone. Besides, it's hard to judge attitude or sarcasm through text on posts.
The following 3 users liked this post by NAMR6MT:
Darkboyz68 (04-30-2023), maekwl (08-01-2021), Optionman1 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 07:13 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 812 Likes on 457 Posts

Jake is probably grumpy because he has to deal with a bunch of keyboard warriors that have no idea what they are talking about but come up with all kinds of wild internet theories based off of random correlations between car forums. He is an authority on these cars and the motors in them. Cross reference what he says but he is an extremely valuable source and a qualified authority on the subject to say the least.

IDK if it matters but @RSSmike claims that their semi solid mounts specifically do not have this issue with the 997.

From https://roadsportsupply.com/624-rss-...engine-mounts/ :

" • The RSS Tarmac Series Performance Engine Mounts are designed for the Porsche driver who demands the absolute maximum in precision handling, feedback and control from their chassis.

• With factory hydraulic engine mounts, the drivetrain will move independent of the chassis during acceleration, deceleration and cornering loads. This movement can upset the balance of the vehicle and create negative handling effects.

• Our performance engine mounts minimize these effects by utilizing specialized polyurethane bushings which offer a firmer, more direct driving feel with optimum feedback.

• This upgrade will NOT adversely effect ride quality or cause knock sensor issues commonly associated with solid engine mounts."
Old 08-01-2021, 08:04 PM
maekwl
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Having dealt with Jake personally and in many private conversations I can attest that he has never come across that way and I will defend his integrity and character to any and all participants on RL. He might have a blunt way of conveying his knowledge but he has the depth of knowledge and first hand experience to back it up, that there is no question. After dealing for decades with a client base (Porsche owners) who as these forums clearly demonstrate can many times be 'entitled jerks", I think this community should be thankful for his contribution. BTW, I am not insinuating that Skwerl is an entitled jerk, my reference was more towards others that post comments questioning peoples moral character and "fear mongering" allegations. Sorry for the venting.

Correction: Sorry for the typo, First word is Having, not Haven't...makes a big difference, my apologies

Just to second this. It’s easy to come across incorrectly in text only. I’ve only had the need to talk to Jake a few times and he was super helpful, informative and polite and went above and beyond to answer questions from some random internet asshat. I mean they even have a ticket system where you can drop a question. How cool and helpful is that.

I think for business it’s good to present your expertise. The reason I called was because here was a dude in the forum saying matter of factly what he knew and thought when so much of forum posts (mine especially) are just theory crafting and speculation.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:08 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

Lol, I want Jake to explain why my 987.2 base 9A1 seems to be much better than it was 6 years ago with twice as much mileage. I saw the piece on the solid mounts and tho Jake can come off in a Deion Sanders way I trust what he says. I’m convinced enough to not go semi solid when mine go. I only wish it was as easy a job as it is on your Carrera’s.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
Jake is probably grumpy because he has to deal with a bunch of keyboard warriors that have no idea what they are talking about but come up with all kinds of wild internet theories based off of random correlations between car forums. He is an authority on these cars and the motors in them. Cross reference what he says but he is an extremely valuable source and a qualified authority on the subject to say the least.

IDK if it matters but @RSSmike claims that their semi solid mounts specifically do not have this issue with the 997.

From https://roadsportsupply.com/624-rss-...engine-mounts/ :

" • The RSS Tarmac Series Performance Engine Mounts are designed for the Porsche driver who demands the absolute maximum in precision handling, feedback and control from their chassis.

• With factory hydraulic engine mounts, the drivetrain will move independent of the chassis during acceleration, deceleration and cornering loads. This movement can upset the balance of the vehicle and create negative handling effects.

• Our performance engine mounts minimize these effects by utilizing specialized polyurethane bushings which offer a firmer, more direct driving feel with optimum feedback.

• This upgrade will NOT adversely effect ride quality or cause knock sensor issues commonly associated with solid engine mounts."
I have the RSS mounts in my car and have not noticed any knock related performance issues, however, my car is suoerchsrged, uses the DME from a twin Turbo car and is tuned by RUF so who knows what it's doing with regard to knock thresholds and engine protection - probably handles it more like the TTs than the Carreras.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022), jamesinger (08-06-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:43 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Can the PIWIS data log the knock sensor? I would like new mounts and am willing to log it for real life data if anyone is interested. But I am not well versed with PIWIS yet...

And I read Jake's posts with a sense of dry humor. What's important is the facts he puts out. And I find it very valuable.

Cw
The following users liked this post:
maekwl (08-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Jake Raby on Semi Solid Engine Mounts