Sponsored by:

Jake Raby on Semi Solid Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 03:17 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Can the PIWIS data log the knock sensor? I would like new mounts and am willing to log it for real life data if anyone is interested. But I am not well versed with PIWIS yet...

And I read Jake's posts with a sense of dry humor. What's important is the facts he puts out. And I find it very valuable.

Cw
it can, but the voltage a knock sensor gives off is not the whole story as that “noise” is interpreted to determine if it’s detonation or not. You have to look at timing requested vs timing actual to understand how that voltage was interpreted and pulling timing.

theres a lot of noises the motor makes, and some person in Germany that knows way more about motors than everyone on this forum wrote code to listen to that static and determine if it’s knock or not.

Last edited by rtl5009; 08-02-2021 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022)
Old 08-02-2021, 03:33 PM
seewong
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Can the PIWIS data log the knock sensor? I would like new mounts and am willing to log it for real life data if anyone is interested. But I am not well versed with PIWIS yet...

And I read Jake's posts with a sense of dry humor. What's important is the facts he puts out. And I find it very valuable.

Cw
I think this would be more helpful than none. I would like to do this myself, but I no longer have the stock mounts (they were shot anyways), so I do not have a baseline to go off of. In addition, I live in CA with 91 gas, so I bet there is some timing being pulled because of that as well. Looks like Jake has a build coming in soon with Function First mounts and he says he will log a comparison on that, so that might be my best bet
BossAngeles (05-14-2022)
Old 08-11-2021, 07:09 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

I tried the Wevo semi solids and the car ran so lousy I thought I broke something. Put on new OEMs and it was like a new car. Your timing could be retarded and you wouldn't know it unless you have a dyno in some situations, I guess.
The following 3 users liked this post by bheit1:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022), ekam (08-15-2021), Ratchet1025 (12-06-2022)
Old 08-15-2021, 01:48 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
I tried the Wevo semi solids and the car ran so lousy I thought I broke something. Put on new OEMs and it was like a new car. Your timing could be retarded and you wouldn't know it unless you have a dyno in some situations, I guess.
All you need is a durametric kit, and some mounts/ time to change them to see the ignition angle differences. It is hard to drive the car hard enough on the street to see the full difference in the data, since higher loads and higher RPM under the loads is what really shows the differences.

I should have never made that video, and just kept this all to myself, like I have for the past 15+ years.

The following 4 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022), Canuck714 (08-17-2021), CBschnell (08-19-2021), Snakebit (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:42 AM
David Berry
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
All you need is a durametric kit, and some mounts/ time to change them to see the ignition angle differences. It is hard to drive the car hard enough on the street to see the full difference in the data, since higher loads and higher RPM under the loads is what really shows the differences.

I should have never made that video, and just kept this all to myself, like I have for the past 15+ years.
No no no. We all appreciate your wisdom! Keep it coming, please.
sbbarnett (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 12:57 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

After watching the video I decided to go back to oem mounts from semi solid. The first thing I noticed was how much smoother the pdk downshifts are with oem mounts.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:07 AM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
After watching the video I decided to go back to oem mounts from semi solid. The first thing I noticed was how much smoother the pdk downshifts are with oem mounts.
I am in the market for new mounts if you don't have any use for your semi solids anymore
Old 08-16-2021, 01:45 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by nerdnic
I am in the market for new mounts if you don't have any use for your semi solids anymore
I’ll sell you my rennline’s for $175.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:15 PM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Sent you a PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:06 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 394 Posts

I disagree with this. I watch most all of your vids and read your posts even if they don't always pertain to my car. I, like most here appreciate the knowledge you share with us. Dont let a few bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:20 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
I disagree with this. I watch most all of your vids and read your posts even if they don't always pertain to my car. I, like most here appreciate the knowledge you share with us. Dont let a few bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.
The crap I have had to deal with from sharing my direct experiences simply isn't worth it. "Why? Why? Why? Does this pertain to my car? Why hasn't anyone else said this? But the car drives so good with the other mounts."

It simply isn't worth the crap.. I've received two tickets today already from people that are concerned with their aftermarket mounts. Each one of these tickets and questions takes time that we don't have.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 394 Posts

I guess so Jake. Being at the top sometimes means ya gotta deal with those at the bottom. I clearly understand.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:46 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

How can you fly with eagles when surrounded by turkeys?
Old 08-16-2021, 03:53 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 249 Posts

I am grateful for this thread, and respect differences of opinion. My years owning many different vehicles has generally led me to the conclusion that "the manufacturer probably did the research to put the right parts on the car" and aftermarket changes often provide limited benefit... and sometimes tangible harm. Thus, I tend to be inclined to OEM parts but I seriously considered RSS or FF mounts to replace the tired originals on my car. Learning more helped me remember it's just not worth it for folks like me to veer from factory specs. I ultimately, didn't feel a need to change the driving experience beyond replacing the worn originals, so I OEMs were installed last weekend and the car feels like it got a B-12 shot. Very happy with my 'safe' choice and whatever sacrifice it may have made to sound or feel.

Thanks, Jake and others here, for providing perspectives to inform our choices.

John
The following 3 users liked this post by Hootsama:
BossAngeles (05-14-2022), ekam (05-14-2022), Snakebit (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:04 PM
seewong
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 34 Posts

The crap I have had to deal with from sharing my direct experiences simply isn't worth it. "Why? Why? Why? Does this pertain to my car? Why hasn't anyone else said this? But the car drives so good with the other mounts."

It simply isn't worth the crap.. I've received two tickets today already from people that are concerned with their aftermarket mounts. Each one of these tickets and questions takes time that we don't have.
I agree with the above statements that most of us are appreciative of your work and everything you've contributed to the community. I am guilty of asking the "Does this pertain to my car?" with my ask about the FF mounts in your thread on the 996 forum, and apologize if it takes too much time since I am not one of your paying customers (yet, fingers crossed my engine doesn't blow). Completely understand if you don't have the time to post the results comparing the FF mounts. I have no problem logging the ignition angles of my car with my iCarsoft POR II. Does anyone with a 997.1 base with stock engine mounts want to compare with me? I would do the comparison myself but my stock mounts are long gone in the trash.

Quick Reply: Jake Raby on Semi Solid Engine Mounts