Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PPI report came back today

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 09:58 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

If you have the plugs done, sticking a camera in there while plugs are out would give you some info on whether the cylinder bores are scored or not. Wish I had done that when I got my plugs replaced. . .
The following 2 users liked this post by 8KaboveMSL:
mhitchi (07-22-2021), Robocop305 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,531 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
This is a great example of why I don't jump on board when people start saying that a PPI is critical to any purchase. There really isn't anything on this cursory PPI that OP couldn't have observed during an inspection.
100% agree, this PPI is the equivalent of taking a knowledgeable buddy with you to look at the car for a second opinion. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the specialized inspection of someone who really knows these cars.

IMO there's not enough info to make decision based on this PPI. Perhaps I missed it it doesn't say if it's a 997.1 or 997.2. Price? Miles? Engine sounds? Oil condition and filter cut open to check? Paint thickness? Looks like there's been deferred maintenance which can be expensive unless you DIY. Again, all of this could be fine and it could be a great car if the price is right. But the OP asked, "So given the PPI… would you guys be comfortable buying this car?" Maybe, depends on your personal risk tolerance.
The following users liked this post:
mhitchi (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:44 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
You should do plugs and coil packs if they haven't been done in this cars life. You're also entering the water pump failure mileage range (45k-65k) so be prepared for that. I would also check the coolant expansion tank for hairline weaknsoots that will become leaks. Change that when you decide to do the water pump as you have to empty the system anyway. New serpentine belt at that same time.
Originally Posted by PV997
100% agree, this PPI is the equivalent of taking a knowledgeable buddy with you to look at the car for a second opinion. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the specialized inspection of someone who really knows these cars.

IMO there's not enough info to make decision based on this PPI. Perhaps I missed it it doesn't say if it's a 997.1 or 997.2. Price? Miles? Engine sounds? Oil condition and filter cut open to check? Paint thickness? Looks like there's been deferred maintenance which can be expensive unless you DIY. Again, all of this could be fine and it could be a great car if the price is right. But the OP asked, "So given the PPI… would you guys be comfortable buying this car?" Maybe, depends on your personal risk tolerance.
There's an absence of important facts from this thread.

To the OP - if you're truly interested in getting feedback and opinions about whether or not you should purchase the car, I would recommend that you provide more information on the car.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:10 PM
mhitchi
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate the feedback from folks.

Realize I should have provided more context…

So this is an out of state purchase and while I was able to view the car in person briefly when I was visiting in-laws I didn’t have an opportunity to bring a Porsche knowledgeable friend (I only have one friend familiar with older Porsches). Hence to me a PPI was worth it but I recognize, and accept, the risk that not having a more thorough PPI means (eg., not boroscoped). Also gave me peace of mind that the seller had no problem whatsoever with taking it in for a PPI.

This is a 2010 C2 coupe with a clean carfax. It’s a manual and completely stock. Has chrono, PASM, Bose, sports seats, Does not have any signs of abuse and paint work/panels look good. Only thing I found was that when the wing is raised there’s a dry squeaking sound… like it needs some kind of lubricant. Also the owner paid for an oil change at the same time it was inspected. The dealership checked for debris in the filter and found none.

Price is 55k with new rear tires.

Hope that provides a better picture. Cheers
Old 07-22-2021, 01:16 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 119 Posts

So it needs tires and a clutch switch. Based on the mouse nest we know the car sat for a long time or was stored in the winter.

I hope this PPI wasn't expensive.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:24 PM
mhitchi
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stored in winter. Not too expensive and worth it since many items I could not check… eg DME

Last edited by mhitchi; 07-22-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:23 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

These are only opinions as we are not there to look, touch and drive the car. Having said that, what you have here is a .2 Manual Trans car. They have a great history of having nothing major being or going wrong. (Don't get mixed up with .1 car characteristics, they are different animals). At 45K miles, you are nowhere near any major (or minor) repairs. The only issue for these DI cars is if the HPFP (hi pressure fuel pump) has been replaced (many were done under warrenty). In any event ,that is not a deal breaker (easy to change) and you are looking at 100K + miles trouble free with good maintenance. The DME report would be nice, but in probably 97+% of the time they are great anyway. The fact that it needs a clutch switch means it is a real 997 and not some fake car. We all have (or will ) new clutch switches. Sounds like a good car. Make a decision.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:46 PM
jamal08
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhitchi
Appreciate the feedback from folks.

Realize I should have provided more context…

So this is an out of state purchase and while I was able to view the car in person briefly when I was visiting in-laws I didn’t have an opportunity to bring a Porsche knowledgeable friend (I only have one friend familiar with older Porsches). Hence to me a PPI was worth it but I recognize, and accept, the risk that not having a more thorough PPI means (eg., not boroscoped). Also gave me peace of mind that the seller had no problem whatsoever with taking it in for a PPI.

This is a 2010 C2 coupe with a clean carfax. It’s a manual and completely stock. Has chrono, PASM, Bose, sports seats, Does not have any signs of abuse and paint work/panels look good. Only thing I found was that when the wing is raised there’s a dry squeaking sound… like it needs some kind of lubricant. Also the owner paid for an oil change at the same time it was inspected. The dealership checked for debris in the filter and found none.

Price is 55k with new rear tires.

Hope that provides a better picture. Cheers
It is a good spec and mileage is good. Should buy it just for the new rear tires since prices on rubber is going up like crazy lol but all in all sounds like a decent drivers car which at that price if it is as clean as it seems and you plan to drive it sounds like a decent buy with the market still holding strong for now. The only concern as others mentioned is if the rat chewed through any wires but you will find out fairly quick if that happened from getting error codes popping up or things like radio, heated seats, etc not working.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 04:52 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
You should do plugs and coil packs if they haven't been done in this cars life. You're also entering the water pump failure mileage range (45k-65k) so be prepared for that. I would also check the coolant expansion tank for hairline weaknsoots that will become leaks. Change that when you decide to do the water pump as you have to empty the system anyway. New serpentine belt at that same time.
This cracked me up!! weaknsoots. You've got weaknsoots in your thingamajigy.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:16 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Got a pic of that mouse nest?
From my own mouse experiences, I have discovered that - if they have a good source of food close by, the odds of them chewing something in your car are lowered, as they will typically chew wires when there's nothing else to eat.

I discovered a sizeable mouse nest under the plastic engine cover of my Honda Ridgeline, however, there were plenty of seeds and other food sources in that nest, suggesting they had a food source (my bird seed!). No damage to the car aside from some fiberglass insulation used for the nest.

Fast forward to my P car, and I too had a nest on my cabin air filter, full of food and nuts. I have had TWO PPIs done since, with a full strip of all panels and zero damage discovered so far (1500 miles).
Old 07-22-2021, 07:42 PM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
I have had TWO PPIs done since, with a full strip of all panels and zero damage discovered so far (1500 miles).
Wow, what panels are you referring to and why were they removed?
Old 07-23-2021, 11:51 AM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmyggg
Wow, what panels are you referring to and why were they removed?
Underbody aero panels - they should always be removed as part of a PPI so that coolant pipes, wires and other lines can be inspected.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Floyd540
These are only opinions as we are not there to look, touch and drive the car. Having said that, what you have here is a .2 Manual Trans car. They have a great history of having nothing major being or going wrong. (Don't get mixed up with .1 car characteristics, they are different animals). At 45K miles, you are nowhere near any major (or minor) repairs. The only issue for these DI cars is if the HPFP (hi pressure fuel pump) has been replaced (many were done under warrenty).
I don't know in which category a water pump failure belongs in, especially if the serpentine belt goes with it. Major (don't think so). Minor, maybe to some or "medium" perhaps. Just saying since the water pump crapped on my -09 C4S at just over 40,000 miles and trashed the serpentine belt for good measure. Total tab came to $1,200. Under warranty at that time which covered it less the deductible. A number of stories here on water pumps giving up between 40K and 60K miles.

Not terribly expensive but it will strand you wherever you are when and if it happens. No more driving after it fails. Coolant temp. rises quickly.

Forgot to mention since you brought up the HPFP. Mine failed on the current GTS but was replaced at no cost by the dealership. Was told it was a recall item.

Last edited by sandwedge; 07-25-2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
This cracked me up!! weaknsoots. You've got weaknsoots in your thingamajigy.
Whoops. I created a new German word for weakened hairline spots.

Quick Reply: My PPI report came back today