Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997 Owner and Intro

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 09:49 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

+1 with what others have said on ceramic coatings. My cayman is going on 3 years since I did a full paint correction and topped with GTechniq CSL and it still looks great. Swirl free, washing, and drying especially with a leaf blower, is soooo much easier with a coating as the water just sheets right off. Still slick to the touch as well.

I will be doing the same correction and coating my black 997.2 coupe in the coming months.
The following users liked this post:
GermanEngineerin (07-04-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Great find and welcome. A black car is a way of life, not a car color... I have 2 black ones.
anewman (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 11:00 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmyggg
Beautiful work. It must have been a satisfying experience to bolt in those polished mufflers. How many hours went into the restoration?
I think the restoration work took about 30 hours or so.

The install was straight-forward - and connecting up the polished components made the restoration work worth the effort. After getting the car back together I was a little bit anxious firing up the engine for the first time, not knowing for sure if I would be happy with the sound.

It all ended up working out great.

The install video is a little bit slower moving (looking at it in retrospect), but nevertheless - here it is if anyone has any interest in seeing it...

Old 07-01-2021, 09:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,907 Posts

Congrats!! Enjoy your new toy!

Old 07-01-2021, 09:42 PM
GPM_97
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Great comment from Petza914 about “A black car is a way of life, not a car color.” I have had a few other black cars before and definitely agree with this.

Really enjoying hearing about everyone's cars and all the advice. Also, that Tubi exhaust looks beautiful.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM_97
2009 Carrera with 12K miles that I bought as a CPO car. Was a one owner car with a clean CarFax. Options include Carrera Classic Wheels, PASM, Bose, Heated seats, Navigation, and PDK. I had been looking for a manual and did not want another black car (as it shows every mark, etc.) but the condition, low mileage w. CPO, Sand beige interior and advice from good friends convinced me to buy this one. As part of the CPO work the dealer completed a 40K service, alignment, and installed a new battery.

Since getting the car I had my local dealer install the Sport mode software so the car now has Sport and Sport+ modes, which is definitely nice w. the PDK. I am really enjoying the car and often look for excuses to drive it.
Looks really nice. Low miles and CPO too. Can't beat it. And great decision imo. to have the sport software installed. A PDK car without it is somewhat miserable. I think most would agree.

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I was lucky in that I found a pair of Tubi mufflers on the Rennlist Market Place. They were in overall good shape, but I devoted some time restoring the finish of them prior to installing them on the car. Here's a brief video that I put together that documented the restoration process...
Gets me curious again since it sounds like you found a set of Tubi side mufflers without the x-pipes for a 997.2. Wonder why someone would sell the side mufflers and keep the x-pipes since that's how the Tubi exhaust is sold for .2 cars. Makes me think that maybe the Tubi side mufflers might be the same for .1 and .2 cars and that the x-pipes was just an addition to the .2 car package because of the center muffler. The Tubi exhaust for 997.1's were just the two side mufflers like what you bought. Had it on my -06 C4S and absolutely loved it.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:15 AM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 420 Posts

Well you bought a beauty. The 997 is such a high point for the modern 911. Enjoy it good health.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Looks really nice. Low miles and CPO too. Can't beat it. And great decision imo. to have the sport software installed. A PDK car without it is somewhat miserable. I think most would agree.

Gets me curious again since it sounds like you found a set of Tubi side mufflers without the x-pipes for a 997.2. Wonder why someone would sell the side mufflers and keep the x-pipes since that's how the Tubi exhaust is sold for .2 cars. Makes me think that maybe the Tubi side mufflers might be the same for .1 and .2 cars and that the x-pipes was just an addition to the .2 car package because of the center muffler. The Tubi exhaust for 997.1's were just the two side mufflers like what you bought. Had it on my -06 C4S and absolutely loved it.
The person that I purchased the Tubi mufflers from via the Rennlist MP had a '10 C2S (997.2). He purchased the mufflers new (from Sharkwerks), without the center crossover because he already had a Sharkwerks unit. I checked independent of that with Sharkwerks (since they still sell Tubi exhaust systems that are new). Sharkwerks (Dan Kennedy) told me that he could sell me the Tubi mufflers (without the center crossover) new from Tubi. Reason I checked with Sharkwerks about the Tubi mufflers was that I wanted to do a cost comparison - used mufflers on MP versus new mufflers from Sharkwerks. I ended up saving about $900 purchasing the slightly used ones on MP (had 1,500 miles on them.)

Old 07-03-2021, 01:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
The person that I purchased the Tubi mufflers from via the Rennlist MP had a '10 C2S (997.2). He purchased the mufflers new (from Sharkwerks), without the center crossover because he already had a Sharkwerks unit. I checked independent of that with Sharkwerks (since they still sell Tubi exhaust systems that are new). Sharkwerks (Dan Kennedy) told me that he could sell me the Tubi mufflers (without the center crossover) new from Tubi. Reason I checked with Sharkwerks about the Tubi mufflers was that I wanted to do a cost comparison - used mufflers on MP versus new mufflers from Sharkwerks. I ended up saving about $900 purchasing the slightly used ones on MP (had 1,500 miles on them.)
Ok that makes sense. Buying the two side mufflers for a .2 car directly from Tubi or directly from Tubi through Sharkwerks rather is probably the only way to exclude the x-pipes. Well done on the savings
Ironman88 (07-03-2021)

Quick Reply: New 997 Owner and Intro