Sponsored by:

The 997 S Market?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 10:10 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The 997 S Market?

Any thoughts on how the 997 S cars are selling during the covid slow down nonsense?
Old 02-10-2021, 10:41 PM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 139 Posts

Read the threads on this subforum. Topic is currently being discussed in many places. Like here https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ation-540.html

Old 02-11-2021, 12:05 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 308 Posts

What's with all the market speculation? It's getting way old.

It's a car, they're scarce in certain specifications and in demand. No different than a desirable part of the town to live in. Pay the price and hope you maybe cover your cost of ownership when walking out of it.

Even those that might have gotten into a GTS a few years ago for say, 60, and the car is worth 80 today - what are we really talking about after taxes, fees, insurance and maintenance? At most a few of us are breaking net even, some are making a few grand, and no one here except a very very small percentage is getting anything like 5 figures return - and even that is over what period of time?
Old 02-11-2021, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone

It's a car, they're scarce in certain specifications and in demand. No different than a desirable part of the town to live in. Pay the price and hope you maybe cover your cost of ownership when walking out of it.

Even those that might have gotten into a GTS a few years ago for say, 60, and the car is worth 80 today - what are we really talking about after taxes, fees, insurance and maintenance? At most a few of us are breaking net even, some are making a few grand, and no one here except a very very small percentage is getting anything like 5 figures return - and even that is over what period of time?
Maybe because it's hard to make sense of it all. COVID, recession, ugly unemployment figures, businesses closing left and right, evictions, food banks and I could go on. The natural conclusion would be that most things except for food would get cheaper and be in plentiful supply. Instead the opposite is happening. Frequent posts here from people looking for a 997 but can't find one. And if they do find one, they missed out since they didn't go to the dealership and made a full asking price offer in cash within an hour of the car being listed for sale.

Same thing with real estate in southwest Florida and the rest of the state as far as I can gather. For example, a 2/2 full Gulf front condo came on the market Monday for $1,200,000. There were 14 showings the next day which turned into a price war between cash buyers which amounted to more than half of those making offers. So maybe it's frustration among many who have money and are trying to buy in what they think should be a buyer's market given what the country is dealing with. Instead it's a seller's market in many segments.

Last edited by sandwedge; 02-11-2021 at 03:07 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by sandwedge:
8KaboveMSL (02-11-2021), roadie13 (02-11-2021), Scalp_em (02-11-2021), thegoatfarmer (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:19 AM
Gary Chan
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Maybe because it's hard to make sense of it all. COVID, recession, ugly unemployment figures, businesses closing left and right, evictions, food banks and I could go on. The natural conclusion would be that most things except for food would get cheaper and be in plentiful supply. Instead the opposite is happening. Frequent posts here from people looking for a 997 but can't find one. And if they do find one, they missed out since they didn't go to the dealership and made a full asking price offer in cash within an hour of the car being listed for sale.

Same thing with real estate in southwest Florida and the rest of the state as far as I can gather. For example, a 2/2 full Gulf front condo came on the market Monday for $1,200,000. There were 14 showings the next day which turned into a price war between cash buyers which amounted to more than half of those making offers. So maybe it's frustration among many who have money and are trying to buy in what they think should be a buyer's market given what the country is dealing with. Instead it's a seller's market in many segments.
While all that is true, the avg Porsche buyer/shopper is probably invested in the stock market which has seen a dramatic run up from the lows, not to mention alt investments like crypto and private markets. Which leads me to think/say that there is a disproportionate number of willing buyers to sellers who would like to convert that paper gain into a hard assets especially a fun hard asset. (I know I called a car an asset)
I just recently picked up a 2007 C4s that last year would have been $10k cheaper but it was the perfect spec for me and low miles so I paid the premium and very happy too. There were also 2 back up buyers behind me if I passed. That to me sums up the 997 market.

oh a large swath of the internet is also loving the 997 for its size and last of the analog 911 but it’s the internet they also like buying GME
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:35 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone

It's also a bit of a game tough. It's fun to get something, and see if it appreciates or not. I don't think anyone outside of a dealer seriously cares about the investment grade quality of the run in the mill 997. If so, then that person has bigger issues to contend with.

Anyway, for the OP, to see the real time values, go to BaT site and pull down all 997 sales over a defined period and look at the chart.
8KaboveMSL (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:13 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Chan
While all that is true, the avg Porsche buyer/shopper is probably invested in the stock market which has seen a dramatic run up from the lows, not to mention alt investments like crypto and private markets. Which leads me to think/say that there is a disproportionate number of willing buyers to sellers who would like to convert that paper gain into a hard assets especially a fun hard asset. (I know I called a car an asset)
I just recently picked up a 2007 C4s that last year would have been $10k cheaper but it was the perfect spec for me and low miles so I paid the premium and very happy too. There were also 2 back up buyers behind me if I passed. That to me sums up the 997 market.

oh a large swath of the internet is also loving the 997 for its size and last of the analog 911 but it’s the internet they also like buying GME
you are spot on, the impact has been “uneven.” While folks in some industries are loosing their jobs there are plenty of folks whose jobs are not affected and that are piling up savings due the gains you mention and also due to lower spending on restaurants and travel. It’s definitely an interesting time for some of these higher priced, somewhat discretionary purchases (sports cars, real estate outside of city cores to name a couple). Curious to see what happens once we finally get to something that resembles the times before the pandemic.

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2021, 09:35 AM
Shock Arrival
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Everyone makes solid points here...my point of view is that I didn't grab up a 997 to make money off of it. I got it so I can drink homebrew in the garage and stare at it thinking about all the things I want to do it...mods that is! So I can work on it, fix it, drive the living crap out of it, and share the experience with friends and family. If I for some reason sell it someday, it'll be more about exchanging that experience for a different one rather than making bank on it.

My $0.02!
The following 9 users liked this post by Shock Arrival:
8KaboveMSL (02-11-2021), AOK 911 (02-11-2021), danzap (02-11-2021), GTS Sully (02-11-2021), Hootsama (02-11-2021), Kechu (02-11-2021), Kineticdg (02-12-2021), ManoTexas (02-11-2021), tinroof (02-11-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2021, 10:48 AM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

If you take away the emotional fanboy component, the 997s are just German cars that are reaching, or have reached, full depreciation. They've aged well and certain model variants like the .2 6spd coupes, GTS, etc...are relatively rare. To a point, the price will keep continuing to climb for the cleaner cars for now, possibly all at some point as we've seen in the past.

If you own a good one now and use it but keep it clean, then it may likely mean your cost of ownership will be low if you sell it on in the future and the price curve keeps climbing. Many, many years (if ever) before you would call them "investments" in any way. If you're in the market and can actually find one that's not a super-high miler or modded Frankencar, expect to pay up...most likely because those sellers want but don't need to sell. On the buyer side, whoever said it before is correct: lots of bored people sitting at home starting at outsized market gains and looking for a hobby car. The pandemic hasn't affected everyone equally, that's for sure.

Porsche is probably best car (maybe any consumer good??) manufacturer in the biz at creating a halo product that has fully compartmentalized generations that, over time, go from latest and greatest to niche market enthusiast appeal then to broad acceptance within the brand-spectrum then to near universal icon status. Nothing else on the planet quite like them. Even my wife who tolerates my garage art but doesn't really pay any attention to cars, sees an old long hood or G body car and instinctively says "cute" in the same way she does if she sees an old Mustang or Beetle.
The following 2 users liked this post by texass4:
8KaboveMSL (02-11-2021), thegoatfarmer (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 02:47 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

There is another thread on the issue of pricing, based on this video below.
The comments below video are interesting, too.
I sold my 964 for 2.5 times what I paid for it. And after some research, I decided that the 997.2 manual might at least hold it price while I enjoy the hell out it.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:12 PM
tinroof
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

To answer the OP's question, the market at this time is very good for sellers in that prices are generally higher than they were a year ago. For buyers there are still plenty of 997 Carreras for sale, but at higher prices than a year ago, at least in general.
8KaboveMSL (02-11-2021)

Quick Reply: The 997 S Market?