Sponsored by:

State of 2008 997 - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 10:52 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

Valve cover gaskets replaced? How? Why?
I'm calling BS on that without seeing service records.
The following users liked this post:
contentmuffin7 (12-26-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:30 AM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following up to this thread with an update. I've stumbled into an 07 CS4 with +20k less miles than the car we've been discussing. It's an east coast car, while the other is a SoCal car. Furthermore it's automatic instead of manual (which I'm kind of ok with since priority #1 are sport seats I can fit in interior+ext colors). Any thoughts on the lower mileages, east coast C4S? I've read on here that east coast and mid west cars are best if avoided compared to warm weather ones. All things considered (pending PPI + more extensive service info for both), what are your thoughts? Still trying to figure this out and can't thank y'all enough!
Old 12-28-2020, 01:37 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Have you driven a 997 with a Tiptronic?

Old 12-28-2020, 03:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by contentmuffin7
Following up to this thread with an update. I've stumbled into an 07 CS4 with +20k less miles than the car we've been discussing. It's an east coast car, while the other is a SoCal car. Furthermore it's automatic instead of manual (which I'm kind of ok with since priority #1 are sport seats I can fit in interior+ext colors). Any thoughts on the lower mileages, east coast C4S? I've read on here that east coast and mid west cars are best if avoided compared to warm weather ones. All things considered (pending PPI + more extensive service info for both), what are your thoughts? Still trying to figure this out and can't thank y'all enough!
20K miles is not insignificant so a check mark in the plus column. Where on the east coast? Could be anywhere from Miami to Boston or even further north. Reason for this question is that there seems to be some consensus...right or wrong that bore scoring is more prevalent in cars driven in cold weather. Wherever the car has spent most of its life, have the cylinders scoped as part of the PPI if you pursue this car.

The Tiptronic transmission is not popular among most 997 buyers so take that into consideration when figuring out what you're willing to pay for the car. I'd go as far as to say that the TIP is a non starter for a majority of 997 buyers, at least based on what I've read here which to be fair is not a perfect representation of the market in general. Very, very strong preference for manual transmissions on this forum. Even the PDK which has little or next to nothing in common with the TIP except that it can be driven as an automatic gets a bad rap here.

Lastly, Carfax is hit and miss both in terms of accident reporting and maintenance history. Just me but I wouldn't feel confident buying a car with 50K miles and having Carfax as the only source of maintenance performed. In contrast, if you bought my current GTS you would get an envelope about 2 inches thick with maintenance records and receipts including everything from PDK replacement to windshield wipers.

Bottom line which can't be stressed enough, get a thorough PPI by a third party with a good reputation. If there's a better insurance against an ill advised purchase I don't know what it would be. Good luck!
contentmuffin7 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 03:53 AM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Have you driven a 997 with a Tiptronic?
nope, I’ve only driven a PDK 981. What are your thoughts on the Tiptronic?
Old 12-28-2020, 04:02 AM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Originally Posted by sandwedge
20K miles is not insignificant so a check mark in the plus column. Where on the east coast? Could be anywhere from Miami to Boston or even further north. Reason for this question is that there seems to be some consensus...right or wrong that bore scoring is more prevalent in cars driven in cold weather. Wherever the car has spent most of its life, have the cylinders scoped as part of the PPI if you pursue this car.

The Tiptronic transmission is not popular among most 997 buyers so take that into consideration when figuring out what you're willing to pay for the car. I'd go as far as to say that the TIP is a non starter for a majority of 997 buyers, at least based on what I've read here which to be fair is not a perfect representation of the market in general. Very, very strong preference for manual transmissions on this forum. Even the PDK which has little or next to nothing in common with the TIP except that it can be driven as an automatic gets a bad rap here.

Lastly, Carfax is hit and miss both in terms of accident reporting and maintenance history. Just me but I wouldn't feel confident buying a car with 50K miles and having Carfax as the only source of maintenance performed. In contrast, if you bought my current GTS you would get an envelope about 2 inches thick with maintenance records and receipts including everything from PDK replacement to windshield wipers.

Bottom line which can't be stressed enough, get a thorough PPI by a third party with a good reputation. If there's a better insurance against an ill advised purchase I don't know what it would be. Good luck!
Good to know about the Tiptronic, I wasn't aware. The car on the east coast has been in Minnesota for all of its 13 years so probably bad news? Yes PPI with bore scope will be priority #1...I wish I could find a car with an owner that has all maintenance records like you and others here (for our family car I scan and digitize each and every invoice/receipt too, my wife thinks I'm nuts).
Thanks for the insights
Old 12-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,716 Likes on 4,270 Posts

A tiptronic equipped car that spent its life on cold MN. I wouldn't need to know anymore than that. I'd keep looking.

Why not pay the $20 membership fee and put a WTB ad in the Marketplace with years, models, colors, options, and price range you're looking for. That's how I found my wife's car.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:24 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,941 Posts

The reason I gave your initial Dealer car a Thumbs up on the Manual Transmission is that Manual is harder to find and much more sought after and has higher resale of up to +$5000 compared to Tiptronic models. Don't settle for Tiptronic if what you really want is Manual.
Personally I would shy away from cold weather cars especially cars in Canada and Northern states like Minnesota. Not only the Bore Scoring fear but also the oxidation underneath on suspension/brakes/etc compared to nice clean West Coast car.

I guess I don't understand why you don't just look in the California area - There are handfuls of 997's for sale in Calif.
I think the biggest mistake is 1st time Porsche buyers rushing into a purchase which I can understand but use your smarts, slow down and look locally in California.
Find a nice Manual Transmission that is well serviced and has service records.

VT Blue (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:59 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

My Dad bought a car from Minnesota, once.

Even if a car from a cold-weather state was never driven in the snow, if it was driven in the rain, it got salt spray everywhere. The Tiptronic would make me think twice. The Minnesota history would put the car right out of the running.

Decide what's important to you and take the time to find the car that pushes those buttons. Don't settle.
contentmuffin7 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:13 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

I would not wholesale rule out a car from MN or any of the northern / bad climate States.

I had a Porsche for 10 years in MN myself. It spent 6 months of the year in storage. Rarely driven in the rain - it was in immaculate condition when I sold it in 2012.

The 911 I have now was from the Chicago area. Same situation with it over the years as my MN car - stored winters. The car was / is in jaw-dropping unbelievable condition - top side and underneath.

My point being - you never know what you may find until you examine the individual car.

All that said, and reflecting on the specific car being discussed above (with the Tiptronic) - I would pass on that one without question on the basis of that transmission. If it had a manual shift - I would definitely look at it more closely.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:01 PM
PierW
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with the majority of what has been said above. Tiptronic (as I believe Groove said) gets a bad rap here, but in general sounds like a diminishing of the performance nature of the 997.1. I have MT and while for the right vehicle I would consider PDK, I absolutely love rowing my boat. If you do too, don't compromise. Price-wise, the SoCal vehicle is definitely over-priced. Other than the sport seats, it's a pretty common build and you should be able to do better. I bought my '07 C4S Cab MT about 16 months ago and while it had about 10K more on the clock, I got it for more than $20K less. Someone had said low to mid 30's I believe and in today's environment, that sounds more like the correct range. And lastly, if you really want to consider the VA car that was previously a MN car, have them take some close-up photos of the headers and heat-shields. From a corrosion perspective, that will tell you all you need to know on whether it's worth pursuing (despite the slush-box) or running for your life. And as nearly all have said, and rightly so...a solid PPI is the smartest move you can make when you think you are ready to pull the trigger. They can validate (or rule out) many of the issues outlined above and many more.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what happens. Once you do pull the trigger, be ready to have facial cramps from all the grinning you will be doing whenever you drop the top and take 'er out for a spin!
contentmuffin7 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 02:16 PM
ParkslopeDope
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Unpopular opinion here, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a tip. Particularly here in SoCal, where traffic is ridiculous and you'll want to kill yourself having to shift when roads go back to how they were pre-pandemic.

I get there's an overwhelming appreciation for manuals on this forum, but as someone else stated it doesn't necessarily represent the majority of buyers. Look no further than Porsche's sales numbers.

That being said they do command more of a premium if resale is your primary concern. Also, if you PREFER a manual that's definitely the way to go, but if you don't have a preference, don't allow others preferences to influence yours.
I promise, YOU won't love your car any less whether its a tip, pdk or manual. Just my 2 cents.

Agree with all the other points regarding the weather and getting a borescope, especially coming from colder climates.
Best of luck with the search!

Last edited by ParkslopeDope; 12-28-2020 at 05:33 PM.
turb0 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 02:44 PM
fpajonk
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkslopeDope
Unpopular opinion here, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a tip. Particularly here in SoCal, where traffic is ridiculous and you'll want to kill yourself having to shift when roads go back to how they were pre-pandemic.
Second that. I have been a life-long driver of stick shifts. But in LA traffic the tiptronic is perfect for a daily driver. Still plenty of fun driving the car without traffic. It's all about what the purpose of the car is. Track with a tip is probably rather pointless.
turb0 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

Trying to stick to OP questions. First for the 08 cab. A one owner southern Cal dealer serviced car gets a big plus, a really big plus. You have to decide if you truely want a manual trans ,an automatic (Tiptronic) ,or dual clutch (PDK). I don't think you can go any farther in your search until you settle on this important factor. They are way different animals.
The 08 cab from San Diego- The milage means almost nothing. The car was sold to the original owner who drove it and had it serviced at the original dealer. All plus points. Oil service was at Porsche spec of 10,000 miles. The enthusiast crowd likes 5,000 mile oil service but no minus points here. Looks like the car was freeway driven do the the paint chips on the hood (front lid). the front bumper may have been repainted since it looks better. All driven 911 's get stone chips. No big deal here as to the quality of the car. This car was driven and then traded in for a new ride. Understandable as it is 12 years old and the owner has the means to buy a new car. Since the car is 12 years old and over 50,000 miles, it probably was consigned to the Mannheim auction company in riverside. From here the selling dealer bought it for their inventory. No harm here. If the selling dealer has a good or great reputation , then you should know that they went out to buy good cars for their lot. This is how most one owner cars get to the second owner. The car is a manual trans car. These are hard to find and will never have issues. As to the comments about waterpumps etc, this model car 997.1 series does have some known issues but nothing to prevent them from being great cars which they are. I think it is a good ,well represented and has had a stable life with its original owner. You should go see the car in person and then judge.
Enjoy!
Old 12-28-2020, 07:07 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,941 Posts

I wasn't even trying and stumbled upon this 2006 Silver/black Cabriolet w/38K miles - Manual Transmission for $35,000
On Facebook Marketplace - Located in Maryland
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment
contentmuffin7 (12-28-2020)

Quick Reply: State of 2008 997 - advice needed