Sponsored by:

State of 2008 997 - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:18 AM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question State of 2008 997 - advice needed

Hello, this is my first time posting on Rennlist (I hope this is the right forum too). This community has been an amazing resource as I learn more about these cars.
I’m looking to get a used 997 and might have found the right one (color, interior, seats are the right combo). I look forward to joining this community as a 997 owner soon

I wanted some expert advice on the car’s state and what you all think is the overall condition. The car is a 2008 997 S cab with a little over 76k miles. Manual transmission, no accidents. The car looks perfect (both external and interior). I have not seen it in person. The car has had a single owner, always driven in SoCal and stored in a garage. He was an older gentleman that didn’t track it. All services (every 10k miles) were done at the local Porsche dealer. The only major issue it’s had was the current dealer replaced the top’s hydraulics (they were leaking). They mentioned this cost upwards of $2k at an indie shop. I cannot verify this on the Carfax report they've provided though.

Other things that have been changed/fixed (according to the Carfax report) are:
  • Valve cover gasket(s) replaced (at 21k miles)
  • Oil pressure sender/switch replaced (at 29k miles)
  • Battery replaced (at 35k miles)
  • Engine cleaned+Valve cover gasket(s) and Front crankshaft oil seal and Driveshaft seal replaced (at 41k miles)
That’s about it. All other services were standard oil and filter changes and maintenance inspections (all performed at Porsche dealer with 10k miles cadence).
Given the above, should I be concerned by the mileage and risk of bigger unexpected issues coming up in the mid-near term? I've read plenty of threads of 997s with well over 150k miles and few issues when well cared for. Furthermore, the asking price seems to be 20% higher than the KBB value.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by contentmuffin7; 12-24-2020 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added transmission details and accident details and photos.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:33 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,916 Likes on 2,904 Posts

You are leaving too much in the dark for a value assessment.
Is it a Manual Transmission? Whats the overall condition of the car? Photos? Service records? Accidents?

Old 12-24-2020, 01:01 AM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

right, edited post to include more deets. (manual transmission, no accidents, great condition)
Old 12-24-2020, 01:24 AM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Searching for the right car is half the fun. Looks like a nice car, appears to have sport seats which is a plus. A PPI with a bore scope is always a good idea to assess any bore scoring or other issues. Values of 997's seem to be on the uptick and good cars are selling quickly.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,578 Likes on 4,184 Posts

KBB isn't valid for 997s any more. They're no longer depreciating in real life and in many cases actually increasing in value. People who bought in 3 years ago are selling their cars for what they paid for them with 15-25k more miles on them and 3 years older.

The oil leak issues are the only things that concern me from what you writem I have one 997 S with 107k miles on I that doesn't leak a drop and anothet with 60,000 miles that doesn't either and have never replaced valve cover gaskets. For sure it needs a thorough PPI from a different place than the one selling it.

Also, you need to look at it in person to really judge the condition of the pint. Where the ceiling lights are hitting the hood I see a lot of stone chips. At 76k miles, that's not olunusual, but since you can't see them on other parts of the car, it shows how the lighting could be obscuring other defectsninnthrnoait, especially on a black car.

Good luck and hope it works out for you. Those sport seats are the most comfortable. Added them to my 997, put them in my 928, and made an office chair out of another one.

The following users liked this post:
contentmuffin7 (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:38 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

What would be concerning to me right off the bat is the maintenance. Even though Porsche recommends a 10k mile oil change interval, going that long (and going that long on Mobil 1if that was used) could lead to more advanced engine wear.

Car was serviced every 10k miles, but what was actually done (apart from inspections)? On a car that's 13 years old, and has nearly 80k miles, I would want to know the detail on that if I was considering purchasing it. Seemingly simple things like a spark plug change are not inexpensive maintenance items. The plugs on that car should have been replaced at least 3 times thus far. Condition of drive belt? Filters? Other fluids? Brakes? The cost of something as basic as tires is not insignificant for a 911.

Ever had the water pump replaced? That is a known chronic problem area in the 997.1. If it's not yet been replaced, it will need to be. Battery replaced at 35k miles. Probably needs a new one at this point.

Granted this is all very basic stuff. My point is that the cost of it adds up in a hurry.

Condition + purchase price + cost to address any needed maintenance and repairs = value. The value proposition is impossible to reflect on without the price of the car being known.

In any event, it would be beneficial to get as much documented detail on the maintenance and repair history of the car as that will have a significant influence and potential impact on your ultimate cost for the vehicle.

Good luck with the process.

Last edited by Ironman88; 12-24-2020 at 11:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
contentmuffin7 (12-24-2020), sandwedge (12-28-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:22 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

+ that it's a Manual Transmission.
But you didn't show us interior photos. That tan interior color shows dirt easily/quickly which can detract in a major way.
Also oil leak at Rear Main Seal is common and usually replaced when clutch is done. So I assume it is original clutch since you didn't mention clutch replacement.
Buying from a Dealer sight unseen in person is something I would never recommend. Just the way I roll. Dealers can't be trusted and most cars are either trade ins because of issues with car and owner wants out and or they are purchased at Auction.
It is rare an owner of a nice Porsche just decides to trade the car in. It happens but not often. And most Porsche owners know the private party market is much smarter return financially and most of us are smart enough not to lose money.

1 - However in some instances Porsche owner wants new Porsche and trading in can make sense for Tax purposes but if I were you, I'd find out exactly what the circumstances were regarding the trade in or is it an Auction car?
2 - Is it Porsche Dealer or used car Dealer?
3 - You still have not addresses the service records? Are there service records or just the Carfax info?

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-24-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:32 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 199 Posts

For price, reference BAT for recently sold cars and gauge the price private party.

Call the dealership where it was serviced and, if they are nice, they may give you major service items over the phone.

As others have mentioned, the following should have been done: plugs, coils, drive belt, water pump, tires, trans oil.

Definitely get a PPI and bore scope if possible. SoCal car should be okay.

Lastly, read this: 997.1 Definitive Buyers Guide - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Good luck
Old 12-24-2020, 06:20 PM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Here's the Carfax report (it's all I've got).
The top's hydraulic job (replaced because leaking) was done by the dealer itself and is not documented apparently.
This is the listing for the car with more deets and pics. It's overpriced according to KBB and Cargurus, but as others have mentioned their value is on the uptick and this one has sport seats (which seems harder to find).
Old 12-24-2020, 06:57 PM
ParkslopeDope
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have basically the exact same car, 2008 S, black with sand beige interior, so. Cal...I'm around 73k miles, so a bit less than the one you're looking at.
Like the others have said the water pump is definitely something you will have to replace right away. I didn't hear anything about brakes or tires,
I'd definitely take a long hard look at those, also check the shocks and other suspension parts for wear.
PPI is always a great idea; KBB is irrelevant they're completely out of touch with the 997 market as it currently sits, as others have mentioned, take a look at various websites for price comparison and what those cars are going for, it's much more realistic.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:07 PM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Originally Posted by groovzilla
+ that it's a Manual Transmission.
But you didn't show us interior photos. That tan interior color shows dirt easily/quickly which can detract in a major way.
Also oil leak at Rear Main Seal is common and usually replaced when clutch is done. So I assume it is original clutch since you didn't mention clutch replacement.
Buying from a Dealer sight unseen in person is something I would never recommend. Just the way I roll. Dealers can't be trusted and most cars are either trade ins because of issues with car and owner wants out and or they are purchased at Auction.
It is rare an owner of a nice Porsche just decides to trade the car in. It happens but not often. And most Porsche owners know the private party market is much smarter return financially and most of us are smart enough not to lose money.

1 - However in some instances Porsche owner wants new Porsche and trading in can make sense for Tax purposes but if I were you, I'd find out exactly what the circumstances were regarding the trade in or is it an Auction car?
2 - Is it Porsche Dealer or used car Dealer?
3 - You still have not addresses the service records? Are there service records or just the Carfax info?

1. The previous owner (the only owner) traded it in and got a newer model, I forget what he got...they told me.
  2. Used car dealer (here)
  3. I only have the Carfax report, that's it.
I thought the fact that all services were performed at the dealership would mean the record is most transparent possible (unless the owner had other stuff done by indie shops)
Old 12-24-2020, 07:12 PM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

Originally Posted by southbay
For price, reference BAT for recently sold cars and gauge the price private party.

Call the dealership where it was serviced and, if they are nice, they may give you major service items over the phone.

As others have mentioned, the following should have been done: plugs, coils, drive belt, water pump, tires, trans oil.

Definitely get a PPI and bore scope if possible. SoCal car should be okay.

Lastly, read this: 997.1 Definitive Buyers Guide - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Good luck
thanks! Re: the list of things you mention should've been done, is that based on the mileage of the car? I'm puzzled none of these have been replaced/addressed since it's been serviced by Porsche every year (i.e. I'd expect them to appear in the Carfax report).
Old 12-24-2020, 08:26 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by contentmuffin7
thanks! Re: the list of things you mention should've been done, is that based on the mileage of the car? I'm puzzled none of these have been replaced/addressed since it's been serviced by Porsche every year (i.e. I'd expect them to appear in the Carfax report).
Some are based on age, some are mileage.

Carfax doesn’t list every detail. My car was only serviced at the dealer and the carfax didn’t mention many things, like spark plugs. However when I called the dealer they gave me more history/details than what was on the carfax, including spark plug history.

See these links:
https://www.rusnakwestlakeporsche.com/997-intermediate/
https://www.rusnakwestlakeporsche.com/997-major/

Last edited by southbay; 12-24-2020 at 08:27 PM.
contentmuffin7 (12-25-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 09:49 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

I bought my 997.2 in May from a Porsche dealer -- it was CPO and a one-owner car, with the previous owner having it serviced only at this dealer.

I asked for the service records and they kindly sent them over.

Not every dealer will do that, but if your car was dealer serviced from one dealer, I would sure as hell be suspect if they didn't fork them over.

Also, a PPI from a third-party is a must. Just my $0.02.

Thx!

Bob
Old 12-25-2020, 10:26 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I looked over the Carfax and also checked out the Dealer.
Dealership looks like a good high end sort of place and the Carfax shows mostly Porsche Dealership San Diego services. Not much detail but I guess nice to at least have that information.
IMO $43K is too high for a Cabriolet especially at almost 80K miles which is close to timeline for $3500-$4000 service of Clutch & Flywheel replacement/RMS/Waterpump/Thermostat.
Once the car gets into the 80-90K miles range the value will go down for sure so combo of above service & resale will sting.
You have to figure you are paying at least +$4000 - $5000 for dealer markup.
Personally I would find another car from a private party seller. There are many Cabs in LA/SD area. You'll get a better deal.

*And for reference, there have been a several 997 S Cabriolets on Porsche Club Of America Website over the past few months that had 40-60K miles and all sold in the $36-$39K range

If you are stuck on this car, as long as PPI is performed at another shop and passed with flying colors, I'd do my best to grind them down on the price and try and get the car for about $38K but that will be hard to accomplish.
If you do buy it, that tan interior is a bit overwhelming. That sort of interior looks a lot better with black carpets. You may want to get the carpets dyed at good detail shop - Just a thought.

Keep us posted with what you decide & Happy Holidays!

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-25-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: State of 2008 997 - advice needed