May want to check out this one -
'09 C2
Black
Manual shift
48k miles
Asking price - $45,900

Looks very nice in the photos.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=285055671
Yeah, saw that. It's $3900 more (without the 19" porsche rims) and metallic blk, but I'm gonna check it out. 1 owner and less miles is always a pro. Thanks for looking!

BTW, what do you drive?

Last edited by thunder911; 11-16-2020 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:46 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder911
Yeah, saw that. It's $3900 more (without the 19" porsche rims) and metallic blk, but I'm gonna check it out. 1 owner and less miles is always a pro. Thanks for looking!

BTW, what do you drive?

'09 C2S Cab 28k Miles - PDK - Meteor Gray, Full Leather, Dark Natural Gray - Fister Sport Mufflers / Sharkwerks Center Muffler Bypass; DSC Sport Controller
Old 11-16-2020, 01:48 AM
thunder911
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88

'09 C2S Cab 28k Miles - PDK - Meteor Gray, Full Leather, Dark Natural Gray - Fister Sport Mufflers / Sharkwerks Center Muffler Bypass; DSC Sport Controller
Sweet, may I ask how much you paid (if bought used)?
Old 11-16-2020, 03:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Sounds good so far. Now, what I have noticed. In no particular order. Is it normal wear and tear, worth repair, not worth buying, etc.
  • 3 prior owners (first 2 drove 4000 miles yr and last owner drove 6000+ yr)
  • the hard seat belt loop part on the latch attached to B piller (DRV and PASS) is cracked?
  • all 4 brake caliper is chipping and decolored
  • gps sys works but no map graphics is displayed
  • no manual books
  • windshield replaced with PGW brand (see some glue marks here and there)
  • rear window rubber belt trim is sticky and degrading - someone said that's normal for 997s
  • paint is has tiny pitting all over the top surfaces of the car (not the sides) - can only see up close but its there
  • air filter plug is ripped
  • front trunk plastic covers are cracking on the edges - guess i can replace those
  • center console air bag light is cracked
  • lots of scratches/chips here and there (I think owner drove as daily)
Thanks in advance!
May be considered normal wear and tear to some but not to me. My GTS is my daily driver. Light use at maybe 3,500 miles a year. I have none of the issues you mention and I have all manuals in the small "portfolio" they came in from the factory. Not a terribly big deal but it may say something about how the previous owners cared for the car. Why would someone throw away the manuals? Mine stay in the glove box and that's where they'll be for as long as I own the car.

I would be patient, pass on what you describe as a somewhat neglected car with pitted paint no less. Keep searching would be my opinion FWIW.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,600 Likes on 4,197 Posts

I guess it all depends on how particular about your cars you are. The condition of that car would make me sad everytime I looked at it. If you view a car more as an appliance and not an object of desire, then the price on this one is certainly right, but the condition makes me think you'll have maintenance items that need attention more than you would on a nicer example.

The base cars ride very high on the stock suspension, which doesn't look sporty and don't have PASM, which means you can't add TPC's DSC controller, which is the single best reason to buy an S model over a base. But for an S you're looking at mid 50s or better these days. I'd actually look for a nice 997 1 C2S. Maybe you could find one that had a Raby 4.0 rebuild that would address the issues with the M97 engine. That car would likely be in much nice shape with better performance than a 997. 2 base and a lot more fun.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:04 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Too many issues with that particular car, and it doesn't speak well for either the current owner, or the previous two. I'd say pass and keep looking. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-16-2020, 10:36 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I don't buy cars that I'm not excited about.

If you're not excited about owning this car, it's not going to get any better after you buy it. Move on to the next one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Iceter:
Floyd540 (11-16-2020), street rod (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Sweet, may I ask how much you paid (if bought used)?
$57k. Car had 25k miles when I bought it.
Price included a set of new Michelins, a new battery, and catch-up maintenance items.
It was purchased from a Porsche dealer. Condition was the primary deciding factor.

Last edited by Ironman88; 11-16-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 11-16-2020, 11:28 AM
David Berry
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Keep on looking for a well cared for 997. 2009 or newer 997.2 is what you want from a 997
Old 11-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
$57k. Car had 25k miles when I bought it.
Price included a set of new Michelins, a new battery, and catch-up maintenance items.
It was purchased from a Porsche dealer. Condition was the primary deciding factor.
I'll additionally point out that I was not holding out for a bargain. And I'm not wealthy either. Like others who contribute to this forum, I worked many years in order to reach a point where I could afford a 911 (over 40 years - and a lot of sacrifices along the way.) I wanted to get a 911 that contributed to a feeling of joy every time I drove and looked at it. I did not want to look at the car and just see a long list of to-do items - or look at it with regret, thinking that I should have spent a few more bucks and gotten a truly nice car - one that former owners had appreciated and cared for. As Petza914 stated in his reply above - the purpose of the 911 to me is not at all about being a transportation appliance.

There certainly can be great satisfaction in bringing a higher mileage, neglected case back from the brink. It can be (often unexpectedly) very expensive though, and in the end after the work is done, how much of the additional investment made will be retained as future value?

Everyone is different of course and has their own priorities, desires, and expectations. Good luck with the hunt and your purchase.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
997.2GTS (02-03-2021), Floyd540 (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 12:13 PM
voidopolis
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

IMHO. The paint issues you mentioned would make me walk away. Most other stuff can be fixed, replaced, but if the paint is pitted and chipped to a point where a detail with some clay and an orbital can’t manage effectively - then that is not so easy to deal with... likely other areas will have the same problem if they were not maintained well.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:21 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Depends what it is going to be used for. My 09 base is a daily driver, 15,000 miles a year and it is not perfect on the outside, but I am not the type to buy a car and drive it only on weekends and nice weather. Some are like that and that is fine, but not for me. Inside it is pristine and to me that is what matters. Just driving it is where I get my thrills, but a driven car will have chips in the paint and I would much rather have a car I love to drive daily that has chips than a perfect one that sits in the garage. Totally your call.
The following users liked this post:
Petrastella (02-04-2021)
Old 11-16-2020, 02:35 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

These are not rare cars, there are/will be many other opportunities. You're already disappointed after inspecting it yourself. My recommendation is to not succumb to FOMO...that often leads to regrets. You WILL find another one, or many, that better meet your expectations.

PS: I looked for a year I think...and that's not because I didn't come across a lot of very worthwhile cars - just took that long to find the one for me. I wouldn't rush it.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:37 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Depends what it is going to be used for. My 09 base is a daily driver, 15,000 miles a year and it is not perfect on the outside, but I am not the type to buy a car and drive it only on weekends and nice weather. Some are like that and that is fine, but not for me. Inside it is pristine and to me that is what matters. Just driving it is where I get my thrills, but a driven car will have chips in the paint and I would much rather have a car I love to drive daily that has chips than a perfect one that sits in the garage. Totally your call.

^^^^THIS^^^^
Old 11-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Lets get this thread back to center. There is some good info and advice listed above along with some real wisdom. However it is ridiculous to be trying to tell someone whom we have not met and do not really know that the car he should buy must have this and that option, blah,blah,blah.
He has stated that he does his own maintenance and is up to doing some refresh work himself. He has also said that the target car is 997.2 MT. He also stated that black/black is acceptable. Also a base car is acceptable. (I actually think they are great!)
Why should we argue with what is already known and stated? The point is to provide guidance on the particular car he has looked at and help with good car- bad car- good price -bad price. discussion. Players here that have actually purchased 997,.2 MT cars in the past year will have relevant experience . Others with good knowledge should also be considered.
I am a 997.2 MT buyer from 12 months ago. It is a sellers market for these cars. Prices have gone up in the past 8 months or so. The car he is asking about is not out of line in price for what it is. Cosmetic condition is the only box that is not checked for him. A PPI and maybe a cosmetic PPI (cosmetologist?) may be in order for him to decide, not us. The actual best advice in my words is from above replies that state "if the car does not speak to you, then there is the answer". Technically it looks like a sound car and in the correct price range. To buy that car or to keep looking are both very reasonable directions, his opinion, his money and his emotions.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (11-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Help Decide on a 997.2 (I have 6 Days)