Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 08:48 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
I can't seem to wrap my head around dropping $1k for an Antigravity battery.
They are expensive. I picked mine up when they ran a 15% discount. Much, much lighter, has built in jump start and you can check the charge with your phone sitting in your living room. If you ever take the car on long road trip with the trunk loaded you can load another 50 lbs. Time will tell how long it lasts, but so far I really like it.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:30 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Since my last post in this thread, my battery (Porsche OEM) conked out. Fortunately, it was in the garage. One of the issues I came across was the stock batteries that were available where I live (suburban NYC). The AutoZone and Advance have essentially the same battery branded as Duralast or DieHard. Easy peasy to find an H7 AGM in stock as long as it was a Duralast/Die Hard. I guess I could have gone to the dealer's parts department or local repair shops to see if they stocked anything different but it became a PITA to find anything other than the AZ/Advance options. I don't know if it's COVID or what but there was very limited distribution in my area for alternatives. Bottom line was that I wanted to get back on the road and for the $200 and 25 minutes of my time, I just threw a Duralast AGM in and I was on my way.

Maybe I just kicked the can down the street for 3 years or so but I didn't want to make this a science project despite a strong preference for putting a Li Ion battery in.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Since my last post in this thread, my battery (Porsche OEM) conked out. Fortunately, it was in the garage. One of the issues I came across was the stock batteries that were available where I live (suburban NYC). The AutoZone and Advance have essentially the same battery branded as Duralast or DieHard. Easy peasy to find an H7 AGM in stock as long as it was a Duralast/Die Hard. I guess I could have gone to the dealer's parts department or local repair shops to see if they stocked anything different but it became a PITA to find anything other than the AZ/Advance options. I don't know if it's COVID or what but there was very limited distribution in my area for alternatives. Bottom line was that I wanted to get back on the road and for the $200 and 25 minutes of my time, I just threw a Duralast AGM in and I was on my way.

Maybe I just kicked the can down the street for 3 years or so but I didn't want to make this a science project despite a strong preference for putting a Li Ion battery in.
Reminds me of when I had to replace the water heater in my house for $450, or spend $2,000 for a high efficiency one instead. The break even cost savings was 7 years, the average life expectancy of traditional water heaters.

Maybe you kicked the can down the street, but in 3 years, we’ll likely see modest improvements in battery tech/capacity with hopefully lower costs as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
Ironman88 (11-17-2020), lexhair (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:50 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Me neither. I've gotten 7-12 years from each of my Optima maintenance free AGM batteries for around $300. Unless the Anti-gravity battery is going to be guaranteed to last 25-40 years and be the last battery I'd have to buy for these cars (I'm 51), I don't see the cost/benefit, as I'm not particularly concerned about weight savings and the hi-torque starters in the old cars turn the motors super fast. I also keep my cars on Tenders most of the time and can't see having to use the reserve capacity feature more than maybe twice in 10 years or less.

Doesn't work for my use case.
I'm extremely impressed by this as my experience with optima in the last 12 years is vastly different.
In the late 90s early 2000s, I was a huge optima fan and had very good experience but somewhere around 2010 my experience changed drastically (along with their warranty)
Prior to 2010, it was easy to get 5 years out of a red top for me, after 2010, I could not get one to last longer than 18 months. Same with the dual yellow tops in my powerstroke. They couldn't make it to 36 months. I gave up on optima and went back to lead acid batteries. I'm definitely open to other brand AGMs to try out now. I'm expecting my 5 yr old bosch to give any problems now that we are starting to get cold mornings here in Alabama now
Old 12-18-2020, 11:42 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Current battery is giving me fits, so looking to replace it. Found a deal on a Champion AGM with 48-month free replacement warranty, 850 CCA, and on sale. I was told I'd get it for even cheaper out the door. Picking it up tomorrow, I'll let you know.

https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm...roduct/2071662
Old 12-19-2020, 12:30 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

The problem with Optima batteries is not an AGM problem. It’s an off-shore manufacturing problem. They used to be expensive but good. Now they’re expensive garbage imported from offshore factories with zero QC. I had an Optima red top last me over 15 years. Now gobs of people are having to replace multiple ones inside the short warranty period and retailers are refusing to sell them because of the constant flow of bring-backs.

AGMs are great. I have a Porsche AGM in my car and at least 4 more of various brands in other vehicles. But I won’t buy another Optima.

Last edited by Iceter; 12-19-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:49 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

essentially the same battery branded as Duralast or DieHard
Duralast and Diehard are both made by Johnson Controls as is Interstate and Optima. In fact nearly all lead acid batteries in the US are made by either Exide Technologies, Johnson Controls, or East Penn Manufacturing. The Porsche OEM Bosch battery is made by Johnson Controls. Globally there is also EnerSys, HOPPECKE Batteries, and Trojan Battery. Lead acid is old technology and the industry has consolidated. Any unique properties of the original brands have disappeared. There are no good or bad lead acid batteries. Any AGM battery is a suitable replacement.

Johnson Controls = ACDelco, Advance Auto, AutoCraft, AutoZone, Bosch, Champion, Costco, Delco, DieHard, Duralast, Equalizer, EverStart (Walmart), Firestone, Interstate, Motorcraft, Optima, Pep Boys, Sears

Exide = Autolite, Delco-Remy, EverStart (Walmart), Marathon, NAPA, Orbital, Sears

Last edited by Hula; 12-19-2020 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added Brands
The following 3 users liked this post by Hula:
lexhair (12-21-2020), Liste-Renn (01-04-2021), Nova997 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 09:09 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Has anyone ever used one of these two brands ? I have a 3 yr old Bosch L4 (94R) in my 997 and the engine always turns over like an old lady and even worse when it's hot. Why this oem battery is only 640 CCA I will never know ?? So far it has never let me down but it turns over like crap ,,, These cars need like 800 / 850 CCA not a lousy 640.

Anyway thinking of replacing it and either getting a good quality AGM or breaking the bank and going all in on a antigravity, I was considering an Optima but not now after all the comments on them now not being what they used to be.

https://www.fullriverbattery.com/ft-series-batteries/
https://www.northstarbattery.com/media.ashx/nsbautomotivebatteries.pdf

Last edited by rileyracing1; 12-19-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:13 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Love my Antigravity but it's hard to really rationalize...I'm taking a chance, using this as a test, to see how things sort out.

Admittedly, the built-in jump-starter was a major attraction as it let me relax about the frunk.

Otherwise, I go with Walmart's batteries: The sell the crap out of them, so nothing is sitting around/they're fresh; great prices; no questions on their warranties; there's one a stone's throw from anywhere (even in VT).

Just my $0.02.

Thx!

Bob
Old 12-20-2020, 11:40 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Love my Antigravity but it's hard to really rationalize...I'm taking a chance, using this as a test, to see how things sort out.

Admittedly, the built-in jump-starter was a major attraction as it let me relax about the frunk.

Otherwise, I go with Walmart's batteries: The sell the crap out of them, so nothing is sitting around/they're fresh; great prices; no questions on their warranties; there's one a stone's throw from anywhere (even in VT).

Just my $0.02.

Thx!

Bob
Being in Vermont, how does the cold affect the Antigravity battery, I though I read some concerns around that. When I'm ready I will go this route as well, its nice to be able to save 40+ lbs. Now if I can take 30lbs off myself also ....
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 02:06 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Being in Vermont, how does the cold affect the Antigravity battery, I though I read some concerns around that. When I'm ready I will go this route as well, its nice to be able to save 40+ lbs. Now if I can take 30lbs off myself also ....
To be transparent @Sporty, I've tucked it away for the winter so I can't give you a 'real world' evaluation...and I keep it on a CTEK Lithium charger.

The battery I bought is this one and, specifically, the 40 Amp Hour flavor...I spoke to Antigravity and they thought this would provide more than enough ooomph.

Regarding the 30 lbs., dude, I'm so there and feel your pain...Covid sucks.

Bob
Old 12-20-2020, 04:51 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

3 years. AGM, from Porsche. $400.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:33 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Too much weight in the the back of the 911 anyway, so taking off 40 lbs from the front is not necessarily good!
Old 12-21-2020, 10:23 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Too much weight in the the back of the 911 anyway, so taking off 40 lbs from the front is not necessarily good!
well it gets offset by the spacesaver spare tire kit in the frunk- that's about 30lbs, and, a full tank of gas
Old 12-21-2020, 01:31 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

My battery is on it's final cranking leg. It was a Bosch blue S6 and saw a thread that Audi and VW also use the same battery. Has anybody gone with the VW battery?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...for-997-a.html

Vehicle Battery - Volkswagen (000-915-105-DH)

1999-2017 Volkswagen

https://www.vwkearnymesaparts.com/oe...ry-000915105dh

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement