Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 09:44 AM
ergi
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The issue isn't the battery, it's the load level ..... you never get problem with the daily car.
I always use VARTA non-AGM (same than BOSCH) and I never get any problem in time life, I only use CTEK loader each month or each couple of month during non-use period.
Some 997.1 has an issue with current consumption and also with the starter wiring but the basic problem isn't the battery.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:41 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

My OEM battery lasted nine years. I replaced it with the AGM from Walmart. They are made by the former Johnson Controls - very good quality, price and warranty. Another secret if you store your car, use CTEK maintainer, the newer the better.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:31 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
My OEM battery lasted nine years. I replaced it with the AGM from Walmart. They are made by the former Johnson Controls - very good quality, price and warranty. Another secret if you store your car, use CTEK maintainer, the newer the better.

Which exact model did you buy from Walmart?

In my old 997 I bought an Audi battery which was the exact same as the Porsche but half the price. So curious about the Volkswagon.

My battery just failed this morning
Old 01-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
How long did it last and was it an AGM or plain lead acid?
Old 01-03-2021, 12:45 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Which exact model did you buy from Walmart?

In my old 997 I bought an Audi battery which was the exact same as the Porsche but half the price. So curious about the Volkswagon.

Just go to the WalMart web site and follow the prompts in the battery section for your vehicle. I got mine late last summer. There were two AGMs that fit the 997 battery tray. I picked the larger which I figure will last longer. If you are concerned about weight, get the smaller one. The larger one is a heavy sucker!

I would also recommend a high quality battery maintainer like CTEK MXS 5.0 or any newer CTEK models with an AGM setting.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:28 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Battery is one of those component that is does not need to be replaced based on time. The life of a battery has too many variables affecting its longevity. You can have one that lasts for years and one that will go kaput within a few months. The good thing is that checking its condition is so easy and no one should be caught stranded out there with a dead battery as long as you check it periodically. All you need is a volt meter and check the voltage. Unless the alternator has a problem the battery will not just die suddenly. It will gradually lose voltage in a span of time and will give you plenty of fore-warning to replace it before this happens. The reading on the voltage should be between 12.6 to 12.8 volts with the engine stopped. Any voltage showing 12.2 or lower should raise a red flag. Then probe the voltage while the engine is running should give you between 13.5 to 14.5 and that proves the alternator is working properly. This is the most foolhardy-proof way to determine whether the battery needs replacing.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 01-03-2021 at 06:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Costco, Interstate AGM $170
Old 01-03-2021, 11:08 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
Just go to the WalMart web site and follow the prompts in the battery section for your vehicle. I got mine late last summer. There were two AGMs that fit the 997 battery tray. I picked the larger which I figure will last longer. If you are concerned about weight, get the smaller one. The larger one is a heavy sucker!

I would also recommend a high quality battery maintainer like CTEK MXS 5.0 or any newer CTEK models with an AGM setting.
Big question: My battery is gone. Way gone. Is programming really needed?

Not sure how old my failed battery is. It was sold by these guys called World Source One and is an AGM World Source One

I use a Noco Genius and I'm pretty good about keeping them connected when not in use and I get a long life from my batteries.

I was going to by the Volkswagon/Audi OEM which is the same as the Porsche. Volkswagon replacement

Could go Costco.....any input appreciated. Costco finder says not available. Interstate website says it's an H7. I've used a lot of Interstate in the past but had another AGM in another car that recently did not last.

According to the Walmart website the ones that Walmart sells are H8 size, Is it larger? I do't want to dick around with venting or anything> This is their offering

BrandEverstart PlatinumNumberAGM H8Price169.77†
  • Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM)
  • For demanding applications and high electrical needs
  • Extended life, up to 2X the life of a conventional battery
  • 4 year free replacement warranty
  • Cold cranking amps: 900
  • Top post for easily connecting cables to terminals
  • Free battery testing and installation at your local Walmart Auto Care Center
  • If you need to get rid of your old battery, there is free lead acid battery recycling at your local Walmart
  • Don't forget to bring in your old battery into Walmart to avoid the core fee.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 01-03-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:25 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

I put an Antigravity in my C2S and there was no programming...take it out, put in the new one. Start up and go.

For every other car we have I use Walmart. They sell so many batteries that what they have in stock is 'fresh' (regardless of flavor) and insanely reasonably priced.

Plus, they really stand behind their product. Even my 84 year old mother got a decent pro-rata on the battery in her Mazda 3 that wasn't even dead...she was just concerned, took it in and they looked it over, offered credit on her old one, etc.

Nothing to say but good things about Walmart batteries.

Bob
Old 01-04-2021, 10:02 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Big question: My battery is gone. Way gone. Is programming really needed?

Not sure how old my failed battery is. It was sold by these guys called World Source One and is an AGM World Source One

I use a Noco Genius and I'm pretty good about keeping them connected when not in use and I get a long life from my batteries.

I was going to by the Volkswagon/Audi OEM which is the same as the Porsche. Volkswagon replacement

Could go Costco.....any input appreciated. Costco finder says not available. Interstate website says it's an H7. I've used a lot of Interstate in the past but had another AGM in another car that recently did not last.

According to the Walmart website the ones that Walmart sells are H8 size, Is it larger? I do't want to dick around with venting or anything> This is their offering

BrandEverstart PlatinumNumberAGM H8Price169.77†
  • Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM)
  • For demanding applications and high electrical needs
  • Extended life, up to 2X the life of a conventional battery
  • 4 year free replacement warranty
  • Cold cranking amps: 900
  • Top post for easily connecting cables to terminals
  • Free battery testing and installation at your local Walmart Auto Care Center
  • If you need to get rid of your old battery, there is free lead acid battery recycling at your local Walmart
  • Don't forget to bring in your old battery into Walmart to avoid the core fee.
How funny, I was just talking with @alexb76 about this. I'm going to go with the VW OEM battery for $123 over the Costco Interstate battery.

https://www.vwkearnymesaparts.com/oe...000915105dhdsp

Old 01-05-2021, 06:04 AM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

My H8 interstate lasted approximately 5 years on my 997.2 GTS. The warranty is for 6 years but interestingly enough the new warranty for the same battery model number is only 18 months now. I guess they got burned pretty bad over-promising and under-delivering. They did not honor the 10% pro rata for the premature failure either. That was a moot point though. I decided to splurge on the antigravity battery H6 40 amp hour. The crew at antigravity even gave me 15% off even though the sale was over. The CTEK lithium they sell is also the cheapest price you can get out there by at least $15. Looking forward to saving approx 34 lbs from relatively high in the car. Since I am going two sizes down I have space for a new trap. Just got to figure out how to make it so the compartment only opens when you press sport plus three times...LOL. Given that the factory battery is way heavier, does not have built in jump start, and is $300-$400 and I do not drive the car that much I figure I would spluge. Will see if I can get the battery to last 10 years.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I ended up installing that Optima H6 I'd been talking about in the wife's 997 today. Cables reach no problem and the hold down that comes with it fits into one of the tray holes. The 34R red top I removed today had been installed since 9/1/2014. Hoping for similar life out of this one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
Ironman88 (02-06-2021), vg247 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I ended up installing that Optima H6 I'd been talking about in the wife's 997 today. Cables reach no problem and the hold down that comes with it fits into one of the tray holes. The 34R red top I removed today had been installed since 9/1/2014. Hoping for similar life out of this one.

Except.......today is the 6th.....

The following users liked this post:
idylldon (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 10:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Except.......today is the 6th.....

Yea. In 6 years when I replace it again, I don't think a day will matter. I actually bought it in Decdmber and was waiting to see whether I should put it into my car or my wife's. My battery is a year older, but still seems to be working fine (probably just jinxed it).

Last edited by Petza914; 02-06-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:32 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

“I'm at 7 years on 1 Optima that's in my 997 and 6 years on the other 997 one. Both stay on Battery Tenders when not in use.

The one I changed in my 914 recently was 12 years old. The one I changed in my DD gmc sierra that never gets separately charged was 7 years old. The one in my 928 is 5 years old”

Wish I had you as a Neighbour...

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement