997.2 Water Pump with 79k Miles - video comparison with new part

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 09:23 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts
Default 997.2 Water Pump with 79k Miles - video comparison with new part

Hi All
I'll be putting together DIY's and threads from the multiple recent preventative maintenance projects I completed. To start with, here is a video showing the difference between the 2 OEM water pumps.

I'm glad I changed out the water pump. It was clearly making some noise and not spinning very freely. Interestingly this pump was more noisy than the one I pulled from my 957 Cayenne with over 150k miles.

The following 3 users liked this post by EMC2:
BLU997 (09-14-2020), Fined (09-14-2020), VT Blue (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-13-2020, 10:52 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

were you noticing excessive noise when running or other issues?
Old 09-14-2020, 02:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1

I can give you the assessment of the failure on my -09 C4S. No noise or any other warning of any kind. It just crapped at just over 40K miles and trashed the serpentine belt along with it. I was more than lucky sitting near the entrance to a large gas station so was able to get away from traffic and shut down in about a minute. With a total failure like this I don't think you have a whole lot of time beyond that before the coolant temperature gets out of hand. I could see it rising at a fairly good clip as I was shutting down.

Imagine having a failure like this sitting in the center lane in bumper to bumper traffic that's barely moving. You'll have no choice but to shut down, block the lane you're in and then count the shaking fists and whatever else comes your way.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:55 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Do share the detailed step by step, I think all will be happy with these. 997.2 has like all these fun BMW-style issues with HPFP and Water Pump, so I feel like with 8 BMWs I owned this is pretty familiar backdrop to used car ownership.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:47 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Rebuildable or not?

These pumps look expensive, but someone at a factory poked bearings and seals into it, just wondering if it can be pressed apart and new bearings and seals pressed in.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Nice. For sure, that one was ready for replacement. Aside from the rotational noise, could you feel any wobble in the front pulley. Once there's any play at all in the bearing, the eneion on the belt clocks the shaft and causes the seal to fail. That's usually the case of the first coolant drops that are seen out of the weep hole (if the 997.2 pump has a weep hole).

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2020, 02:45 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by slowslowcar
Thanks for sharing
Thanks @Slowcar

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
@voiceprint1 - I could definitely hear what I would describe as a "scraping" noise when running (but so minor that it was at the level you would only notice if you really know the sounds of your car well and can therefore detect subtle changes over time)
This prompted me to use the stethoscope on mine, and then also on a neighbors 997.2 with lower miles for comparison. Mine was definitely louder.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I can give you the assessment of the failure on my -09 C4S. No noise or any other warning of any kind. It just crapped at just over 40K miles and trashed the serpentine belt along with it. I was more than lucky sitting near the entrance to a large gas station so was able to get away from traffic and shut down in about a minute. With a total failure like this I don't think you have a whole lot of time beyond that before the coolant temperature gets out of hand. I could see it rising at a fairly good clip as I was shutting down.

Imagine having a failure like this sitting in the center lane in bumper to bumper traffic that's barely moving. You'll have no choice but to shut down, block the lane you're in and then count the shaking fists and whatever else comes your way.
Sorry to hear about your failure @sandwedge I know what you mean. I had the famous water distributor neck failure on my 957 Cayenne S. Luckily I was in a spot where I could pull into a parking to immediately and shut off, but it's always scary when that red light comes on.

Originally Posted by pascalemod
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Do share the detailed step by step, I think all will be happy with these. 997.2 has like all these fun BMW-style issues with HPFP and Water Pump, so I feel like with 8 BMWs I owned this is pretty familiar backdrop to used car ownership.
Thanks @pascalemod . Will do.

Originally Posted by BLU997
These pumps look expensive, but someone at a factory poked bearings and seals into it, just wondering if it can be pressed apart and new bearings and seals pressed in.
@BLU997 Genuine OEM can be sourced for around $300 which is really not too bad.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Nice. For sure, that one was ready for replacement. Aside from the rotational noise, could you feel any wobble in the front pulley. Once there's any play at all in the bearing, the eneion on the belt clocks the shaft and causes the seal to fail. That's usually the case of the first coolant drops that are seen out of the weep hole (if the 997.2 pump has a weep hole).
@Petza914 Thanks - the play was very minimal in comparison with the noise. I definitely did not have any drips (and in retrospect, because I tackled so many projects over that weekend, I did not even look to see if there is a weep hole - although I don't recall seeing one. You've got me curious so I'll have to go back and look
The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (09-15-2020)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Water Pump with 79k Miles - video comparison with new part