Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 01:21 AM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Guidance for GT3 sway bar settings for track driving

Hi folks,

Just installed GT3 sway bars on my 997.1 C2S

Do y’all have any suggestions on what settings to run for track driving?

My initial plan was just to go middle setting on both front rear, but would love to hear about other folks’s experience/suggestions.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

The new bars come with stickers over the holes that suggest the starting points. For the front, this is the second hole in from the end of the bar (second in from full soft). In the rear it's the second hole in from full stiff.

I would start there and adjust to suit your desired personal handling characteristics.
The following users liked this post:
saamyjoon (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 11:44 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

You are putting GT sway bars on a non GT car. Unless someone else has done the exact same thing with same setup as your car, your starting point is unknown, so agree you might as well just start middle and middle and simply tweak it from there. If you can go find a place to test before your track event, you can figure out roughly where you stand and do some basic adjustments from there:

https://5xracing.com/p-24306-sway-bar-tuning.html

A softer front bar:
1. Increases front chassis roll.
2. Increases front grip or traction, while decreasing rear grip or traction.
3. Slower steering response.
4. Increases off-power steering at corner entry.

A stiffer front bar:
1. Decreases front chassis roll.
2. Decreases front grip or traction, while increasing rear grip or traction.
3. Faster steering response.
4. Decreases off-power steering at corner entry.

A softer rear bar:
1. Increases rear chassis roll
2. Increases rear grip or traction, while decreasing front grip or traction.
3. Less on-power steering.

A stiffer rear bar:
1. Decreases rear chassis roll.
2. Decreases rear traction, while increasing front grip or traction.
3. Faster steering response in high speed corners and chicanes.
4. Increases on-power steering.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:47 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

It is all depends what bars you have and total setup (alignment, height,...) and if you are planning to spend time om street driving. On rear 997.1 GT3 bar you can use a middle hole with your stock sway links. On front you have more choices. I have large Tarett/TPC 5 hole and use either middle (out of 5 available) for aggressive track or second from outside (less stiff). You must use adjustable links on front and remove preload.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:43 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions and the links.

I might start with the OEM recommended positions.

I’m also using extended Tarett adjustable links for the front, and the adjustable Tarett links in the rear, so I should be able to dial out the preload.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:53 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Plenty of guys run GT bars on non-GT cars, so this isn't the first moon landing....
Depending on how aggressive your alignment settings are (especially front turn in), your driving experience (how much rotation you want), what differential set up you have (LSD can push front end), and the tracks you run, you should probably start with one from full stiff front, and mid rear. From there you may need to go full soft rear, especially if running the larger GT2 rear bar, as it's diameter alone makes a significant difference over stock.

I find this helps with long radius/fast corners. I even go full stiff front for at least one track set up in order to keep the rear planted with an open diff at higher speeds.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:54 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ptech1
Plenty of guys run GT bars on non-GT cars, so this isn't the first moon landing....
Depending on how aggressive your alignment settings are (especially front turn in), your driving experience (how much rotation you want), what differential set up you have (LSD can push front end), and the tracks you run, you should probably start with one from full stiff front, and mid rear. From there you may need to go full soft rear, especially if running the larger GT2 rear bar, as it's diameter alone makes a significant difference over stock.

I find this helps with long radius/fast corners. I even go full stiff front for at least one track set up in order to keep the rear planted with an open diff at higher speeds.

Thanks for your suggestions.

My alignment plan is -3 camber up front, -2.5 rear, 1mm toe out up front, 1mm toe in in the rear.

Im not running the GT2 sway bar.

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2020, 04:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by saamyjoon
Thanks for your suggestions.

My alignment plan is -3 camber up front, -2.5 rear, 1mm toe out up front, 1mm toe in in the rear.

Im not running the GT2 sway bar.

If you're driving this car on the street at all, i'd only go to neutral toe (0). I have a pretty extensive suspension thread using GT3 sways.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:36 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
If you're driving this car on the street at all, i'd only go to neutral toe (0). I have a pretty extensive suspension thread using GT3 sways.
Thanks for your input. What’s your reasoning for zero toe? Would you consider street driving to/from track in your calculation?

Quick Reply: Guidance for GT3 sway bar settings for track driving