Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Exhaust Bolts --> What's the Secret?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I don't know - but I would guess there is a significant possibility. My relatives on my mother's side all from Massachusetts, Vermont, NY, Ohio. Traced back to a Barbara Allen who married Myles Standish in 1623.
My mother's maiden name was Allen. My father's last name Allen. Seems like all my relatives were Allens!

The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 05:27 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I don't know - but I would guess there is a significant possibility. My relatives on my mother's side all from Massachusetts, Vermont, NY, Ohio. Traced back to a Barbara Allen who married Myles Standish in 1623.
My mother's maiden name was Allen. My father's last name Allen. Seems like all my relatives were Allens!
As the old Teddy Roosevelt joke about FDR and Eleanor goes ... “It is a good thing to keep the name in the family.”
Ironman88 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 05:27 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Such a beautiful part of the country. Land of my ancestors (Ira and Ethan Allen)...
Yeah, it is hard to beat.

One of the best laws on the entire planet is here: NO billboards. Period. It makes such a difference. All you see is green, hills, mountains, etc.

Bob
Ironman88 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Class of 1960 at one of original voucher private schools founded in 1842 with many foreign dorm students and with Harlem black scholarships funded in the 1930's. Unique to grow up in Vermont and play with and have as best friends from around the world including niece and nephews of the Shah of Iran.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:38 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hilltopper
Class of 1960 at one of original voucher private schools founded in 1842 with many foreign dorm students and with Harlem black scholarships funded in the 1930's. Unique to grow up in Vermont and play with and have as best friends from around the world including niece and nephews of the Shah of Iran.
No kidding! My sister roomed with one of the Shah's daughter's in CT -- Naz. Was pretty cool kid.

Well, you predate my friend a few years, and he has nothing to say but great things about his experience there, too.

Bob
Old 07-14-2020, 05:49 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Ethan fell off ice hay sled drunk off Colchester and died with my family member marrying his wife, adopting his daughter Fanny and supported her when she turned Catholic, became a nun with Fanny Allen Hospital bearing her name. My member was one of the founders of Town of Burlington and regrettably appointed Director of Customs by Jefferson during War of 1812. It has been confirmed that no one knows where Outlaw Ethan is buried and Ira died in debtor"s prison. The true story is that the Allens raped the land in Vermont. My family got off the boat in 1628.
Enough?

Last edited by Hilltopper; 07-16-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:17 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
Agree with Bruce. When I removed the bumper and aluminum piece, I was able to hit all bolts with socket and extensions.
That’s a great tip on the install. Appreciate Bruce and yourself posting.
VT Blue (07-14-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 09:37 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,965 Likes on 2,937 Posts

**Word of advise on 997's from cold/snow climates - Check your Coil pack Heat Shields. I bet they are rusted with holes and while you are in there might want to inspect them.
Years ago I had a 997 from Minnesota and both left and right Coil Heat Shields were rusted badly/falling off.

VT Blue (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 11:03 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 157K

You can remove that aluminum bumper bar.... then you will have full access... no big deal. Regarding the bolts.... break them off... get medieval on them. My buddy helped me with my Sharkwerks install... he used a grinder and it took a whole 3 seconds to grind them flat against the flange. Some of them just torqued off... maybe just try a vice grip and twist.. or a chisel and hammer. The remaining stud is just pressed in so with a punch, pound it out.... Again, aggression works. We then ran up to Home Depot and purchased some stainless bolts and nuts.

Here was my thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ut-issues.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I cut and ground mine off using a Dremel cutting wheel and a grinder wheel. Took a few hours to do both sides of the Cats, but I did i it.

VT Blue (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:06 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chonniedotcom
I cut and ground mine off using a Dremel cutting wheel and a grinder wheel. Took a few hours to do both sides of the Cats, but I did i it.
Thanks @chonniedotcom . I'm pretty sure the Dremel is the route we'll be going. Were you able to punch out what was there, or did you have to drill?

Have been so busy that I just haven't been able to get back at it -- hopefully on Sunday.

Thx!

Bob
Old 07-16-2020, 09:07 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
**Word of advise on 997's from cold/snow climates - Check your Coil pack Heat Shields. I bet they are rusted with holes and while you are in there might want to inspect them.
Years ago I had a 997 from Minnesota and both left and right Coil Heat Shields were rusted badly/falling off.
Thank you @groovzilla . Have not looked. Do I need to take the cats off, too, in order to see them?

Bob
Old 07-16-2020, 10:40 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I cut the bolts off with a dremel. Actually split the nut in half and separated it. Then punched the studs out. You only need to do 2 to get the muffler off. I had to hit it pretty hard to punch the stud out. Ok. Really hard. Hard enough I thought I would break it.

Did not cause any damage.

Replaced with nut and bolt. Three years later look just as bad

When I do it next time, I'm going with whatever kind of nut me bmw has. The nuts on the exhaust just unscrewed after 10 years and lots of salt and snow. I think they use a brass compound.

I did put some stainless bolts, some grade 8, and some regular in various places to see if it would make a difference. Was on the lift last night and all look awful and will need dremeled again.

I didn't know stainless rusted.
VT Blue (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:49 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I cut the bolts off with a dremel. Actually split the nut in half and separated it. Then punched the studs out. You only need to do 2 to get the muffler off. I had to hit it pretty hard to punch the stud out. Ok. Really hard. Hard enough I thought I would break it.

Did not cause any damage.

Replaced with nut and bolt. Three years later look just as bad

When I do it next time, I'm going with whatever kind of nut me bmw has. The nuts on the exhaust just unscrewed after 10 years and lots of salt and snow. I think they use a brass compound.

I did put some stainless bolts, some grade 8, and some regular in various places to see if it would make a difference. Was on the lift last night and all look awful and will need dremeled again.

I didn't know stainless rusted.

Really interesting -- and disappointing -- that Grade 8 SS would corrode like that.

Previous posters have mentioned copper coated (for lack of a better description) nuts/bolts as having excellent corrosion resistance. Titanium has also come up as a very good, but expensive, option. Personally, I'm willing to pay if I can avoid this situation again.

Btw @dgjks6 what state are you located in?

Thanks for the tips on how you attacked the issue.

Bob ×
Old 07-16-2020, 11:13 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

NE Ohio. And boy does ODOT like salt.

I have learned to get good with a dremel.

So if this is TMI you can ignore it.

2 of the four bolts on the exhaust hanger snapped the stud. Which was good. The other two I cut. The one on top treated my patience.

For the ones to the center muffler my plan this Tim's is grinder and new sleeves. They are $50 but the amount of time I will save will more than make up for it. And IIRC the factory ones have a square bolt so you just need to get then it off. I replaced it with a bolt and now I have to find a way to get a wrench on the top again.

If you are nearby feel free to come by and use the lift.
VT Blue (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:16 AM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Thanks @chonniedotcom . I'm pretty sure the Dremel is the route we'll be going. Were you able to punch out what was there, or did you have to drill?

Have been so busy that I just haven't been able to get back at it -- hopefully on Sunday.

Thx!

Bob
Hey!!!

I replaced my cats with new 200 Cell ones. So I have not tried to remove the old bolts. New stuff went in with stainless bolts.
Will try to remove old bolts from the original cats one day. I’m thinking some good heat and a punch might do it. If not I will just drill out. ;-)
VT Blue (07-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Center Exhaust Bolts --> What's the Secret?