Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a high mileage 2009 C4S with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 01:28 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by GPappy
I am curious of your thoughts on the C2S vs C4S since you have had both.
Great question - I have owned both C2 and C4 and I prefer the C2 for the type of driving I do.
I'm not a seriously aggressive driver like the old days. I drive fast and take turns fast but I find the C2 nimbler in the corners especially with the H&R springs which give a 1.2" drop - I also found this to be true with my 996 C2 vs. my 996 C4S.

And I also wanted to mention I didn't mean to give the impression you needed the money or needed to sell your salvaged Cab. I just understand from watching the Porsche market for 36 years how difficult it is to sell a salvaged Porsche unless you basically give it away at a very reduced value.
Just the way it is. Especially with a Cab because they tend to be lower market value to begin with. SO I felt better to get rid of it now with summer approaching for better value
All the best.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:19 PM
niacin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a case to be made that PDK failures, while expensive, are exceedingly more rare than we'd think from the common belief on forums. The PDK has been available on 911, Boxster, Cayman, Panamera, and Macan for over ten years now. If PDK oopsies were on the scale of ims failure, or even air-oil separator breakage, we'd well know; there'd be no way to cover that up with at least 150000 PDKs sold.

I've got an 09 C4S droptop with the pdk, over 110k miles, and it's been perfectly fine. Don't be scared of the miles. Sport plus launch control is hilarious.

Last edited by niacin; 06-17-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by niacin
There's a case to be made that PDK failures, while expensive, are exceedingly more rare than we'd think from the common belief on forums. The PDK has been available on 911, Boxster, Cayman, Panamera, and Macan for over ten years now. If PDK oopsies were on the scale of ims failure, or even air-oil separator breakage, we'd well know; there'd be no way to cover that up with at least 150000 PDKs sold.

I've got an 09 C4S droptop with the pdk, over 110k miles, and it's been perfectly fine. Don't be scared of the miles. Sport plus launch control is hilarious.
Great points..... but for some, given the cost of that rare failure, can be a financial disaster. In short, given my value system, you should have enough money to buy another PDK should one fail... it is just the way I am. BTW, I have read many stories over the years of young folks who really financially stretch to buy their dream car... buy a used higher-mileage premium car, and then get blasted by a high repair bill. So I can not, in good conscience, recommend what was a high-dollar car to a young person with average income.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Per Gpappy, he can afford to buy a new Porsche. So an escrow account for future repairs shouldn't be too big a deal.

While I would hesitate on a high mileage 997.1 I would have far less concern regarding a 997.2. They are different animals. Everything I see tells me the 997.2 was over engineered to be ultra reliable ... Something Porsche really needed to do. I see no common failure modes in this generation. And that goes for high mileage examples as well as garage queens.

And while some of us pile up miles quickly, it appears this is a weekend fun car, so miles will accumulate much more slowly.

Under the known circumstances this would seem like a reasonable purchase if you ignore the debate between PDK and MT. But that discussion is a completely different can of worms.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:15 PM
GPappy
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

All great thoughts, thank you all for sharing.

At the right price I would probably pick this up but they have already turned down my offer. I have been contacted about a 2013 with 10k more miles for the same price. Might be worth looking at.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Tarmac RSR
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just recently purchased a 2009 997.2 from a close friend, 120k on the clock. Thing drives like a dream, very strong motor and shifts immaculately.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

2013 is 991 with electric steering. Great car but quite different than a 997 with hydraulic steering. Just saying.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by niacin

Good point. I'd guess that PDK failures as rare as they are get so much attention since in most cases the dealer shops aren't allowed to open them up and fix what may be a minor issue. Full replacement instead which used to approach the cost of IMS failure. I hear the cost has come down quiet a bit now. True or not, I don't know.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:06 AM
lisnter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a manual 997.1 coupe for 5 years and a .2 PDK cab for 1 year. I loved the manual and really liked the cabriolet but not so much the PDK. It's really cool, for sure, and shifts way faster/smarter than I ever could but I just wasn't into it. I track my car occasionally and do Monte Carlo rallys but am not into absolute times. Just the fun and involvement. Even in LA traffic I prefer shifting myself - been doing so for 35 years and I'm not going to stop now.

Currently on the hunt for a new 997.2 or 991 with manual. If you want a manual you should wait for one.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

definitely drive it first. My mother has a low mile pristine 09 C4S with PDK and the transmission is awful. Just awful. Clunky, laggy, unpredictable. Flat out junk.

I'd definitely skip a high mile PDK, but then, i'd also just skip pdk totally
Old 06-19-2020, 02:14 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

PDK sucks! I love mine by the way, puts a smile on my face every time. "Clunky, laggy, unpredictable" ...something is broken. I however vote for patience and the 996 option. Its all about individual experiences and preferences. Too many people start at this point and get frustrated or disappointed. All of these cars are expensive, always have been and will be. Build a war chest for expenses.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a high mileage 2009 C4S with PDK