Sponsored by:

More info on 2005...valuation opinions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 10:14 PM
jmoffett
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More info on 2005...valuation opinions appreciated

2005 Cab with the Tiptronic with 53k miles. The top and both hydraulic cylinders have been replaced, as well as the center console plastic (it was showing wear), the cupholders have been replaced (upgraded?), and a Pioneer head unit was installed for Bluetooth capability. It is in decent shape cosmetically, but far from perfect. The upper corner of the bumper cover just below the passenger side headlight protrudes just enough to see the rivet. It's actually not too bad, but once you see it you can't unsee it. He has owned the car since 2012 and did not get any service history when he bought it. I think he has driven the car about 20,000 miles, but very little in the last year or two. It drives nice, the tires have good tread and are wearing evenly, the a/c blows cold. I have found an indy shop that will do a PPI including a bore scope for ~$500. The engine serial number is higher than the cutoff on the IMSB lawsuit (I know this is not definitive but the build date is 3 months after the changeover). I have ordered an oil analysis kit and will ask the shop to collect the sample. I ran a Carfax and found out it has had 4 owners, the first of which in NY and the next two in Florida. The Carfax also reveals two accidents...one in 2009 with front end damage exceeding $1000 but no airbag deployment. The second was in 2012 with front end damage less than $1000. Carfax indicates this information was not made available until after the current seller bought the car.

I don't plan to own this car forever so resale value is important to me. Do I walk away now? Pay the $500 for the PPI and make a lower offer? Assuming the PPI and oil analysis do not reveal engine damage, what is this car worth?
The asking price is $25,000 and includes engine/computer analytical software and cable interface...not sure the name of it. The options are:
BASE Porsche Base Model
Tiptronic S
Heated Front Seats
19" Carrera Classic Wheel
3-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Bose High End Sound Package
Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
Guards Red
Power Seat Package
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Sand Beige Standard Leather
Black Top
Porsche Crest in Headrest

Old 06-09-2020, 12:14 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I think base model, age, tiptronic, and fear of IMSB and bore scoring would significantly impact resale value.
The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:36 AM
Rgarcia
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe offer $23,800. Drive it for a year 1/2 and could maybe able to sell it for 20-21k and put 12-15k miles on it.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I think base model, age, tiptronic, and fear of IMSB and bore scoring would significantly impact resale value.
Not just that but anyone concerned about resale value should probably look for cars with no accident history. Never mind one with two accidents. Doesn't matter how minor. A lot of buyers will pass this one by. How do I know? Had my GTS on the market a while ago with a well disclosed rear end hit that got me a new rear bumper cover. The repair is guaranteed as undetectable for the life of the car and Porsche will even CPO cars with front or rear bumper replacements or repairs and repaint as long as there's no damage beyond the skin of the bumper cover.

Bottom line is that a lot of buyers seeing a car with an accident history, no matter how minor and no matter how well documented will stop reading right there and move on. So if resale value is a concern there are probably better options for you out there.

On a different note to the OP, does that car have real ceramic brakes? I see the yellow calipers but no mention of it in the options list.
63mercedes (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 07:12 AM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by sandwedge
On a different note to the OP, does that car have real ceramic brakes? I see the yellow calipers but no mention of it in the options list.
i don’t think so. They appear to have been painted. The yellow is peeling and the seller mentioned he had bought some yellow paint to touch them up but hasn’t gotten around to doing it.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:26 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

"Bottom line is that a lot of buyers seeing a car with an accident history, no matter how minor and no matter how well documented will stop reading right there and move on." While this may be true, assuming accident is factored into value you conversely gain buyers who can budget $25k for your and not $30 for same car with the accident.
In fact I find cars with low speed damage that have been repaired properly to be on my bargain hunting list, getting me more car than I normally can afford. When you go in low, its easier to get out low.

Black Book Retail as of 06/08/2020

Extra Clean Clean Average Rough Base
N/A $24,650 $18,200 $12,750
Options N/A $100 $100 $100
Mileage N/A $5,650 $6,450 $5,650
Total N/A $30,400 $24,750 $18,500

This is for an 06' so I would knock off 5% and would call the car average so offer 23,512.50

Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 AM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by mjposner
"Bottom line is that a lot of buyers seeing a car with an accident history, no matter how minor and no matter how well documented will stop reading right there and move on." While this may be true, assuming accident is factored into value you conversely gain buyers who can budget $25k for your and not $30 for same car with the accident.
In fact I find cars with low speed damage that have been repaired properly to be on my bargain hunting list, getting me more car than I normally can afford. When you go in low, its easier to get out low.

Black Book Retail as of 06/08/2020

Extra Clean Clean Average Rough Base
N/A $24,650 $18,200 $12,750
Options N/A $100 $100 $100
Mileage N/A $5,650 $6,450 $5,650
Total N/A $30,400 $24,750 $18,500

This is for an 06' so I would knock off 5% and would call the car average so offer 23,512.50
Thank you.

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2020, 10:09 AM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 182 Posts

I think everyone has some good points. But please remember as others have stated, at that specific price point selling won't be fun. You'll get the people who barely have the cash but want a brand new car. It's so far down the depreciation curve you probably won't lose too much if you tend to everything it needs. But this is not one of the examples a lot of die hard rennlisters would consider. I would say that's a luxury purchase and even more so for the risk factors that you are acknowledging. If your cool with the the chances at that price the last thing you should be concerned with is resale value. It's a toy and that mentality should come first, if the finances are the main concern those should come first. It's like indiana jones and the holy grail. Choose wisely.

I've always said porsche brings out passion and my hats off to people buying in at lower price points, life is short. I'd rather have a 996 than nothing but it comes with a certain level of risk one has to be ok with. Make sure your wife is cool with it before you buy it and good to see ur getting a bore scoped PPI and an oil analysis. Your on the right track.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:40 AM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
I think everyone has some good points. But please remember as others have stated, at that specific price point selling won't be fun. You'll get the people who barely have the cash but want a brand new car. It's so far down the depreciation curve you probably won't lose too much if you tend to everything it needs. But this is not one of the examples a lot of die hard rennlisters would consider. I would say that's a luxury purchase and even more so for the risk factors that you are acknowledging. If your cool with the the chances at that price the last thing you should be concerned with is resale value. It's a toy and that mentality should come first, if the finances are the main concern those should come first. It's like indiana jones and the holy grail. Choose wisely.

I've always said porsche brings out passion and my hats off to people buying in at lower price points, life is short. I'd rather have a 996 than nothing but it comes with a certain level of risk one has to be ok with. Make sure your wife is cool with it before you buy it and good to see ur getting a bore scoped PPI and an oil analysis. Your on the right track.
This is all part of my due diligence process. I don't know anyone with a 997 (I have a couple friends who own 991's) so the only way I know to learn about relevant issues and get specific questions answered is to reach out to the online community. $25k is a lot of money to me (10% of our annual gross), but it would not ruin me financially if this car's engine failed and I had to sell a <$10k roller. However, if that happened and I had not done my due diligence (which probably looks like stress from the outside looking in) I would be completely pissed at myself for making an impulse purchase. I'll be 54 on Friday and my wife and I are very financially conservative. I've only had one car loan my entire life (in my 20's after got my first career job), so cash in the bank defines my car purchasing budget. I have waffled on this decision a couple times and she has been a little disappointed each time I lean toward not buying the car. I've had a C6 Corvette for the last 10 years and it's been a blast to drive and pretty cheap to own. I've always loved 911's but never put much thought into actually owning one until recently, having watched our bank account grow the last few years after the nest has emptied and I quit sending all my money to the University. I appreciate everyone's input. I think I'm going to call the seller and make an offer contingent upon the PPI.
63mercedes (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Go for it if it ticks your boxes and passes a PPI. You can do some minor mods/TLC to it that are not real expensive but will increase your enjoyment. Cleaning up the interior and maybe some Eibachs to lower it a bit will go a long way aesthetically and you will not lose anything material over the long run and will most likely really enjoy taking your wife for drives with the top down, and I'm not cab guy, but I get it. Let us know how it turns out...good luck

Old 06-09-2020, 11:25 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Hard to tell from the photos but the driver seat and inner sill cover look like they've taken a beating. My former 997.1 had 91k miles and my current 997.2 TT has 58k miles and neither looked like that. The seat can be reconditioned and the inner sill is not expensive so that's not terrible itself, but it's indicative that the car has not had much TLC. It's not that hard to prevent wear in these areas with some care. The Tip and the Carfax will definitely be liabilities at resale as others mentioned.

On the other hand its a 997 for potentially <$25k, a great color combination, and would make a nice project car at the right price. If you are a DIY guy you could have a fun car that looks great for not a whole lot of money assuming the PPI comes back ok. Based on the service history I would bet there is deferred maintenance (e.g. spark plugs ever changed?) that could get expensive if you have to pay someone else to do it. It wouldn't scare me as a weekend car I could DIY on my own time though. I would not want to pay $150/hour to someone else to fix the bugs.

Good luck with the shopping and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:27 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sporty
Go for it if it ticks your boxes and passes a PPI. You can do some minor mods/TLC to it that are not real expensive but will increase your enjoyment. Cleaning up the interior and maybe some Eibachs to lower it a bit will go a long way aesthetically and you will not lose anything material over the long run and will most likely really enjoy taking your wife for drives with the top down, and I'm not cab guy, but I get it. Let us know how it turns out...good luck
Thumbs up on the Eibachs, the base model looks like a 4x4 in the side views. Only $400 for parts and another $100 for alignment will completely change the car.

Edit: throw in another hundred for spacers as they'll be needed, but worth it.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:18 PM
jmoffett
Track Day

Originally Posted by PV997
Thumbs up on the Eibachs, the base model looks like a 4x4 in the side views. Only $400 for parts and another $100 for alignment will completely change the car.

Edit: throw in another hundred for spacers as they'll be needed, but worth it.
Can you post an example pic of this mod?
Old 06-09-2020, 01:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoffett
i don’t think so. They appear to have been painted. The yellow is peeling and the seller mentioned he had bought some yellow paint to touch them up but hasn’t gotten around to doing it.
Those aren't PCCB calipers - they're too small. PCCB are 6 piston in the front and take up most of the side inside the wheel. Also, don't think I've ever come across a base model (3.6) with PCCBs.

If you like the car and it checks out, I think it's a $20,000 car being a Triptronic with 2 accidents in the history and a cab and the seats looking the way they do.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:38 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jmoffett
Can you post an example pic of this mod?
Check out The Bruce's thread where he added Eibach springs to his base 997.1, he's got before and after shots.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-1-a.html

Fair warning in that this is a big job to DIY. I've got PASM and AWD which complicates things but it took me all weekend. Base model would be a bit easier, particularly if you have access to a lift (I didn't). My 997.2 ended up with just about a fingerwidth between the tire and fender. It's the perfect height IMO, looks great but the front end scraping is manageable.
jmoffett (06-09-2020)

Quick Reply: More info on 2005...valuation opinions appreciated