Sponsored by:

What sux is.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:56 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts
Default What sux is.....

..my 997 C2S sits in the garage right now undriveable. My right rear wheel, a fake Fuchs, has had a minor teeny tiny crack in it that I had repaired (or so I thought) about three years ago. I've been looking for a new set of wheels for the last two months and have procrastinated to try and find the right set, to my liking. So, back to the bad wheel, I take it to a recommended wheel repair shop, after I took the tire off (as it was loosing about 5lbs a day at this point), and they said absolutely not and you need a new wheel. The place I bought them from, that I found through this site, hasn't returned two of my calls, left two messages during regular business hours. This has happened once before and they made me buy a pair, I said "keep one and ship one in case someone else is in my position". It was a front, my issue now is in the rear.
So I say, eff it. I'm going to take my stock C2S wheels and have them powder coated (as I haven't protected them from scratching as well as I thought, DOH!.
Boom, shelter in place comes, no right rear. All powder coaters closed, although the tire shops are not.
Now I have the time to "go for a drive" but can't LOL.....
Hope effin wheel place calls me back, so I can get one back on the car while I continue to shop for quality ones. These cheap wheel suck big time (what do you want for 1800 a set?) and I know better, well I thought I did. If anybody wants the name of the wheel and distributor, pm. I don't want to bad mouth them just yet given the state of current affairs.....

Rant over. First world problems.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:00 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 278 Posts

Lobster fork? I may know someone who has one to sell.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:08 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Thanx but The fake Fuch is bad. My stock wheels, I forget the name, are going to go back on after powder, unless I get the new set first....
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 10:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,555 Likes on 4,169 Posts

Still have these Champions sitting in my garage. Real lightweight Forged wheels that also clear PCCB brakes. Fully polished then clear powdercoated.

They aren't $1,800 a set though LOL

Currently have tires on them too - the rears are worn, but you can mount them up and be back in business until you swap the tires. Not going anywhere soon, so can ship this week.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:03 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 257 Likes on 174 Posts

Mike I want to thank you because of our discussions on private messaging I decided not to buy the wheels you have. I like your idea of going back to stock and I have also decided to stay with my stock wheels which grew on me and I have been very happy with. Its a nice feeling to know when you hit a pot hole that you didn't just crack your wheel.
mikes70 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:03 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
...Now I have the time to "go for a drive" but can't
But you still have your stock wheels in your possession?

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry for the trouble OP.

However, it's also a great example of why buying forged high quality wheels is the only reasonable choice. It isn't actually saving money to get cheaper wheels, its postponing the spending until later.
myw (03-22-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fined
Sorry for the trouble OP.

However, it's also a great example of why buying forged high quality wheels is the only reasonable choice. It isn't actually saving money to get cheaper wheels, its postponing the spending until later.
Oh exactly. These were pretty much for street driving and "was" getting another set for track and autocross. I have two sets of Forgelines on my '70 and you can say those are the cats meow....
Old 03-25-2020, 01:55 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Still have these Champions sitting in my garage. Real lightweight Forged wheels that also clear PCCB brakes. Fully polished then clear powdercoated.

They aren't $1,800 a set though LOL

Currently have tires on them too - the rears are worn, but you can mount them up and be back in business until you swap the tires. Not going anywhere soon, so can ship this week.

18's or 19's? I thought these were long gone. Narrow or wide? exactly what I'm looking for, prefer to keep stock diameters and I've read they "may" work for a narrow (if its a wide body)

Lemme know, Mike
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
But you still have your stock wheels in your possession?

Thanks.

Karl.
I do but they were misplaced/misstored in storage and faces got scratched, so en route to powder the entire system was shut down (more or less)
Old 03-25-2020, 02:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 735 Posts

18's or 19's? I thought these were long gone. Narrow or wide? exactly what I'm looking for, prefer to keep stock diameters and I've read they "may" work for a narrow (if its a wide body)

Lemme know, Mike
Pretty sure those are on his C2S so narrow. I also think they're 19's but have Petza confirm both. I've had two sets of Champions on two of my 997's. Very light weight and great overall built and finish. Put about 40,000 miles on each of those two sets and they both looked new after a good cleaning.
mikes70 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,555 Likes on 4,169 Posts

Lemme know, Mike
Sorry, missed this message. They're 19" NB fitment with an 11.5" wide rear. All the info and more pics are in my old ad here -

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1122942

The ad is expired so the photos are greyed out. If you email me at petza914@gmail.com I can send original hi-res photos of any of them that you want to see, but here's a couple more. Let me know.

Pete

Last edited by Petza914; 03-25-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:53 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

If you're looking for a cheap, short-term solution so you can at least drive your car, you could take your OE wheels along with your current wheels with the tires to a tire shop and have them swap the tires. You'd just have to do that in reverse again when you can send them out for powdercoat once your shop reopens. I think Discount charged me $40 bucks when I had them swap tires for me last year. I guess it depends on how bad you want to drive the car over the next several weeks.

Also, you may want to consider having your OE wheels painted and clear coated vs. powder coating. I bought a set of NB Carrera Classic's from Wheel Enhancement in L.A. last summer that had mild curb rash and scuffing, and had a guy here in the Denver area refinish them. He used PPG paint in the factory Artic Silver color, then clear coated them. They came back looking factory fresh and they're easier to clean than powder coated surfaces. He charged me $150 per wheel, which seems to be the going rate for that service.

Quick Reply: What sux is.....