Sponsored by:

CV-----> Could Be Last Drive For A While

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 07:09 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts
Default CV-----> Could Be Last Drive For A While

Went for nice long spirited drive this afternoon. There's talk we will be on house lock down starting tomorrow.
Beautiful day in Seattle.
Everyone keep healthy!

The following 4 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Kineticdg (03-20-2020), kru911 (03-21-2020), Oneday997 (03-20-2020), qikqbn (03-21-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 07:38 PM
Kineticdg
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 103 Posts

We're on shelter in place (San Francisco Bay Area), but we're still allowed to do outdoors activities as long as we maintain 6' of separation with others. That includes driving to an open area, so I'm planning on interpreting that as doing a fun run (solo, out and back) until I hear otherwise. I believe that in a full lockdown (i.e. Italy, Spain & France) there's no leaving the house whatsoever except for essential activities, we'll see if that's next for us. Until I hear more, I'm driving the Porsche tomorrow!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kineticdg:
ThomasCarreraGTS (03-23-2020), wdr911 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 07:57 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm planning the same thing in the Bay Area. Was out to run an errand yesterday, and it's a driver's paradise. Silver lining I guess.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:50 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Gov Newsome issued a mandatory the stay-at-home for San Diego but I had to into work for a bit. There were people still out and about with fast food restaurants, gas stations, stores etc still open. I should have went on a drive up to Palomar.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Spoke with a physician friend last night. If I got it right he said you can shake hands with an infected person with little to no risk. The question is what you do with that hand once you're done shaking. If you get in your car and continue snacking on that bag of chips you opened an hour ago then you could be in trouble.

The virus doesn't travel through the skin of your hand into your body. It only has three access points: Your mouth, your nose and your eyes. That's why you could be out of luck if you're next to an infected person who's sneezing and/or coughing. Those little droplets they spread are hard to avoid if in close proximity to the sick person. That's what I came away with talking to him. If there's an MD here who's got a different take on it, please chime in since I'm not an MD but just passed on what I was told.

Basically the approach me and my wife have taken is to wash our hands with soap and warm water when we get home after being out and about. First order of business. We also think about where our hands have been before grabbing something to put into our mouths or touching any of the three entry points in our faces. Too bad the best hand sanitizer on the market is impossible to find... Clorox Bleach Free Hand Sanitizer. Haven't heard or read about how effective the cheaper ones are.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:58 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

You have inspired me to take a drive tomorrow! In Los Angeles it has been raining a lot lately and being stuck in the house is making me depressed! I know how my P-cars may burst into flames and rust when they are hit by rain drops so I have been avoiding it at all costs! Can't take the risk!!

Working from home has been an adjustment to say the least. The wife is calling my name every 5 minutes to check another to do item off her list! So much for getting any work done

Tomorrow looks like a nice sunny day before another 5 days of rain here, so It is definitely looking like a canyon burner kind of morning for me!
Be safe and well everyone. Praying and hoping this crisis is short lived and we can all get back to living life to the fullest very soon! Hoping for the best!
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

I'm going to the MX track where the trees don't sneeze on me and I'm not close to anyone, except when passing them. If I get pulled over on the way, I'll explain that this is essential business for my state of mind

Y'all stay safe.

The following 5 users liked this post by Petza914:
doclouie (03-21-2020), groovzilla (03-21-2020), mikes70 (03-21-2020), PierW (03-23-2020), qikqbn (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 05:45 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Spoke with a physician friend last night. If I got it right he said you can shake hands with an infected person with little to no risk. The question is what you do with that hand once you're done shaking. If you get in your car and continue snacking on that bag of chips you opened an hour ago then you could be in trouble.

The virus doesn't travel through the skin of your hand into your body. It only has three access points: Your mouth, your nose and your eyes. That's why you could be out of luck if you're next to an infected person who's sneezing and/or coughing. Those little droplets they spread are hard to avoid if in close proximity to the sick person. That's what I came away with talking to him. If there's an MD here who's got a different take on it, please chime in since I'm not an MD but just passed on what I was told.

Basically the approach me and my wife have taken is to wash our hands with soap and warm water when we get home after being out and about. First order of business. We also think about where our hands have been before grabbing something to put into our mouths or touching any of the three entry points in our faces. Too bad the best hand sanitizer on the market is impossible to find... Clorox Bleach Free Hand Sanitizer. Haven't heard or read about how effective the cheaper ones are.
Not an MD but certainly as knowledgeable about virus transmission as most (no offense to doctors).

Entry points are as described but there are a lot of ways to get there far more incidental than a handshake. Surface transmission is increasingly viewed as a key issue with COVID as the virus survives on multiple surfaces for surprising lengths of time. In theory this means you can have secondary and tertiary transmission points making control difficult.

For example, one person (even asymptomatic) touches the corner of their mouth and then their steering wheel. An hour later even after washing hands, they go back to their car and fill with gas... and transmit it to the pump handle or touch pad (steering wheel back to their “clean hands” and to the pump).

Now you go and use that same pump handle or touchpad that individual used. You dutifully avoid touching your eyes (knowing it is a potential transmission point) but use your car / steering wheel. After YOU wash your hands at home you go back for a casual drive an hour later. You rub your eye... you can very well transmit it this way.

This is despite no obvious direct connection. The virus can and is being transmitted like this.

BTW, the typical medical doctor is not well equipped to answer this type of question... I would rely on the latest research information out there plus a buffer as the information has been changing fast. Not surprisingly the transmission risks are looking higher than previously thought - which is why you should apply a more conservative approach.

I am still out there driving but if I am using a gas pump or any contact points, I will look to disinfect at the source points rather than only washing hands once getting home.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Not an MD but certainly as knowledgeable about virus transmission as most (no offense to doctors).

Entry points are as described but there are a lot of ways to get there far more incidental than a handshake. Surface transmission is increasingly viewed as a key issue with COVID as the virus survives on multiple surfaces for surprising lengths of time. In theory this means you can have secondary and tertiary transmission points making control difficult.

For example, one person (even asymptomatic) touches the corner of their mouth and then their steering wheel. An hour later even after washing hands, they go back to their car and fill with gas... and transmit it to the pump handle or touch pad (steering wheel back to their “clean hands” and to the pump).

Now you go and use that same pump handle or touchpad that individual used. You dutifully avoid touching your eyes (knowing it is a potential transmission point) but use your car / steering wheel. After YOU wash your hands at home you go back for a casual drive an hour later. You rub your eye... you can very well transmit it this way.

This is despite no obvious direct connection. The virus can and is being transmitted like this.

BTW, the typical medical doctor is not well equipped to answer this type of question... I would rely on the latest research information out there plus a buffer as the information has been changing fast. Not surprisingly the transmission risks are looking higher than previously thought - which is why you should apply a more conservative approach.

I am still out there driving but if I am using a gas pump or any contact points, I will look to disinfect at the source points rather than only washing hands once getting home.
I am somewhat of a germ-o-phobe and always keep a few nitrile gloves in the car for that reason, along with hand sanitizer. Some stations have been providing disposable gloves free of charge recently! About time: gas station handles are nasty. My wife was in grad school and they had to take swabs of various surfaces; surprisingly enough, the inside of a bathroom door was as dirty as the outside door. We would expect that people go inside, use the toilet, and then wash they hands, and as a result, the inside door would be much cleaner than the outside. Unfortunately, many people are either lazy or stupid (IMO).
Old 03-21-2020, 07:46 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey fellas, I'm a 993 and 951 guy but found myself here admiring 997s. I'd like to chime in.

Regarding this virus, also be aware that they think it can remain airborne for a few hours and found that asymptomatic people are shedding more viruses when they are about 2-3 days from showing any symptoms. Theory is also that asymptomatic people are unwittingly spreading it and also people with mild symptoms are assuming that its a cold or mild flu. So, for me, I'm assuming that everything is contaminated and have been sheltering in place in a suburb in Seattle (yes, King County) for about 10 days regardless of what the government says.

Love my 993, really love the 951 and super admire the 997. stay safe friends.
wdr911 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:10 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Kineticdg
We're on shelter in place (San Francisco Bay Area), but we're still allowed to do outdoors activities as long as we maintain 6' of separation with others. That includes driving to an open area, so I'm planning on interpreting that as doing a fun run (solo, out and back) until I hear otherwise. I believe that in a full lockdown (i.e. Italy, Spain & France) there's no leaving the house whatsoever except for essential activities, we'll see if that's next for us. Until I hear more, I'm driving the Porsche tomorrow!
Im hoping the lock down everything for couple of weeks, instead of us trying to manage through this for 5-7 months, killing off people in droves because of overwhelmed healthcare. Despite all the advice to stay out of crowds people still get together. This means they dont take it seriously, which means this attitude "its not in my backyard" only gonna go away with fatalities skyrocketing. LIke in Italy. I really hope you all stay home, stay safe, manage best you can and encourage all your friends to do the same. I know it might seem like bit of an overreaction but everything Ive read to date in combination points to a lot of people dismissing it first, then trying to manage and then going full lock down - which sharply ends not only oil consumption, restaurant business - but also the virus. Until this happens, bets are off on the death toll.

So to reiterate - stay the hell away from everything until they really lock everything down, have some basic food for a month (but dont go crazy, and you dont need hand sanitizer or masks in thousands at home, just basic foods i.e. calories, and thats it). Ive been sheltering home since 12 days ago, its fine, but in city so not easy to be in country side. Still, all visits are out, and been to shop couple of times and shocked at how many people walk around without masks, gloves etc. These people are all darwin award competitors. At least wear gloves ffs.

I bought the battery charger timely i guess, as I reckon it will be used few times over next 2 months at the rate this is going.
SpeedyD (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:45 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Disinfect your cell phone as much as you go out with it
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Could always try something like this

Old 03-21-2020, 09:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle 993
Hey fellas, I'm a 993 and 951 guy but found myself here admiring 997s. I'd like to chime in.

Regarding this virus, also be aware that they think it can remain airborne for a few hours and found that asymptomatic people are shedding more viruses when they are about 2-3 days from showing any symptoms. Theory is also that asymptomatic people are unwittingly spreading it and also people with mild symptoms are assuming that its a cold or mild flu. So, for me, I'm assuming that everything is contaminated and have been sheltering in place in a suburb in Seattle (yes, King County) for about 10 days regardless of what the government says.

Love my 993, really love the 951 and super admire the 997. stay safe friends.
Airborne? That means aerosol-form, which experts seem to say that if possible it is less probable. Maintaining distance to others and wearing even a fresh surgical mask in a store (where there is people nearby) should be enough.

Any expert can pitch in on aerosol form? Virus carried by air currents outside sneeze/cough water droplets?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:03 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 136 Posts

Also, from the gas pump, to your door handle, to your key, to the steering wheel to your shifter...etc etc. Paper towels are a good option at the gas pump if nothing else fails. And, my stupid steering wheel is Alcantra, so no wipey (also no drivey either, see my thread)

Quick Reply: CV-----> Could Be Last Drive For A While